Thinking of cutting down my heat sensitive 308...

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
So I go back and forth on cutting down one of my rifles. I have a 308 bergara hunter. It has a 22 inch barrel and shoots ok groups for up to 5 shots then it comes apart until i let it cool down. For that reason, it's in the back of the safe and I always find myself trying to to trade it off, which is annoying because the action, trigger, and stock all are quite decent.

I'm wondering if I could see a win win to cut it to 16 inches, get a handier rifle, and possibly see hot barrel accuracy improvements? I'm not sure if that's a long shot but I'm wondering of people have seen that type of improvement. I assume it depends on where the stresses are in the barrel, but still would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

eric1115

WKR
Nothing to lose! $150ish to at worst see no change, at best turn it into a real shooter?

Chop chop baby!

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Chop it. Hog out the barrel channel. Torque the action screws. Don’t shoot paper with it and you won’t notice haha.

Bugger

Lil-Rokslider
Are you gonna be ok with the expected velocity at 16”? If so, chop away and if it works get it threaded for a can. If it shoots like shit then you’ve still got a good rem 700 clone stock and action