Tikka Roughtech or Bergara Carbon Wilderness

I've got several guns that I never shoot, the .243 being one of them. I always tend to grab the .308 anytime I go to the range or go hunting. I grew up hunting with a .243 and know it's a good round but like the added power of the .308. The budget is more of if I bought one of the above guns to allow me to change things I don't like. I don't mind spending more if go the semi custom route to end up with what I like.

Entire Tikka 308 rifle - $800
Carbon 308 Barrel for tikka rifle that is not likely to be better than the one that comes on a Tikka - $800
If you cant see the obvious choice between those two it's hard to give input.

OP
Y

Yfz04drt

FNG
Entire Tikka 308 rifle - $800
Carbon 308 Barrel for tikka rifle that is not likely to be better than the one that comes on a Tikka - $800
If you cant see the obvious choice between those two it's hard to give input.
I understand that. The regular lite has a smaller barrel profile than I prefer to run a suppressor. That pushes me into the Roughtech line that had a slightly heavier barrel and higher cost. I don't love the factory stock of any of them which would cost more to replace. Therefore I'm weighing whether to buy the Roughtech and replace the stock for $1500-$1800 all in or spend slightly more and build off an action I already own with everything the way I like. I'm not questioning the ability for the gun to shoot in factory form.

lite profile is plenty sufficient for a suppressor. If the question is really "which 308 is going to look the sickest with a suppressor" that's going to be in the eye of the beholder.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
I have an ember. The stock looks cool isn’t really worth the $. I run a suppressor on other chopped tikkas just fine. The spiral fluted bolts looks cool.

That said - I won’t buy another over a regular stainless T3X. Spend that money on an aftermarket stock instead.

ElPollo

WKR
I understand that. The regular lite has a smaller barrel profile than I prefer to run a suppressor. That pushes me into the Roughtech line that had a slightly heavier barrel and higher cost. I don't love the factory stock of any of them which would cost more to replace. Therefore I'm weighing whether to buy the Roughtech and replace the stock for $1500-$1800 all in or spend slightly more and build off an action I already own with everything the way I like. I'm not questioning the ability for the gun to shoot in factory form.
I have multiple T3x lites and run suppressors on all of them without any problems. I am not a fan of the roughtech or ember versions primarily because the fluted bolt provides an extra pathway for the ingress of dirt and debris into the action. I also don’t need or want the slightly heavier barrel profile. Finally, the roughtech stock is not worth the extra money. I get your opinions on the stock. The tikka factory stock is not my favorite based on the drop at the comb and the heel. But there are not many factory stocks that are significantly better. If you spend about $500-600 on a Stocky’s VG hunter or a RokStok, you’ve got a winner. If budget is a thing, add a tikka vertical grip module and some foam padding and tape to raise the comb, and shoot the factory stock until your bank account recovers sufficiently to upgrade the stock.

MatukaJoe

FNG
I'm not closed minded to opening my options. I just know a little more about those 2 platforms. What route are you referring to? Feel free to pm me if it'll create a mess.
For the 1200$ price range you mention I'd go Kimber Hunter or Kimber Hunter Pro - had a Kimber Hunter in 7mm-08 I sold a number of years back and I wish I'd never done so. Phenomenal lightweight rifle that worked flawlessly for me. Also if you are looking at the 1200$ price range for a Tika in my area at least for 1400 you could get the Sako S20 in both the hunter and precision versions. I have more confidence in the S20 line personally. You also could look at the Weatherby 307 - I've not handled one but they look interesting to me and a buddy has the MeatEater Weatherby and it's a solid shooting rifle. There are also Savage 110 models in the 1200 range and I've had good experiences with them. A buddy owns one in 30-06. There are both the long range and high country models. Rifles are really so much personal preference of course. I found I was not gelling with any off the shelf rifle so for 1100 I assembled my own with a Howa 1500 carbon barreled action and a Stocky's VG2 Stock and I am loving it. That's a long-winded way of saying while its good to get opinions and hear issues you probably already know what you want. :) Happy shooting!

Attachments

• 20230709_091150 (2).jpg
    20230709_091150 (2).jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 0