The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Headline on Bloomberg right now (can't link the article) says:

Rescuing First Republic May Leave Bank Stockholders Stranded​

• The bank could still survive, but stock may not be protected
  • Wedbush analysts see ‘no residual value for shareholders’

twall13

WKR
Still gotta wait the week even after the 10 worthless posts...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Without knowing your debt amount and interest rate, I would say to pay off whatever debts you have. I don’t think inflation is slowing down anytime soon so anything you can do to reduce your monthly expenses will be worth it. I am getting about 3.6% in my high yield savings account, not alot but better than nothing for having cash on hand.
Just 100k left on a 260k house, wife has 4,000 left on her car she will pd off around July, paying over time to help her credit.

FWIW, I heard an interesting take on paying down debt during high inflationary times. The gist was, if inflation is higher than your interest rate on the debt (mortgage, car loan, whatever), don't pay it down faster than you need to because, in theory, inflation is inflating that debt away faster than the interest rate is growing the debt. Logically to me that must assume that one's income is keeping pace with inflation I would think, but an interesting take on how look at paying down that low interest rate car loan or mortgage right now.

CorbLand

WKR
FWIW, I heard an interesting take on paying down debt during high inflationary times. The gist was, if inflation is higher than your interest rate on the debt (mortgage, car loan, whatever), don't pay it down faster than you need to because, in theory, inflation is inflating that debt away faster than the interest rate is growing the debt. Logically to me that must assume that one's income is keeping pace with inflation I would think, but an interesting take on how look at paying down that low interest rate car loan or mortgage right now.
I was explaining this to my brother. Take this for what it worth but I would pay off vehicles regardless of your interest rate and inflation. That is still a depreciating item.

Mortgages on the other hand. No way would I pay it off early if my interest rate is lower than inflation. My brother refinanced at 2.7 percent. He has been making double payments for the last couple years. You can find many safe investments right now paying 4 percent. He isn’t saving himself 2.7 percent. He is costing himself 1.3 percent.

Getting out of debt is never a bad idea but there is an opportunity right now for the average person to leverage debt to their advantage with very little risk.

Last edited:
Now way I’m paying down my 2.75% 30 year mortgage right now. Money is getting put away for the right time
I cant talk my wife out of making extra payments on our mortgage. We have a 1.85% rate. Tried to get her to at least just put the money in a high yield savings account but she wont listen. Our savings is getting about 4% so I have no idea why she wont do it. Well, she wants the house paid off so we can buy a mountain property or make a move easier.

I was explaining this to my brother. Take this for what it worth but I would pay off vehicles regardless of your interest rate and inflation. That is still a depreciating item.

Mortgages on the other hand. No way would I pay it off early if my interest rate is lower than inflation. My brother refinanced at 2.7 percent. He has been making double payments for the last couple years. You can find many safe investments right now paying 4 percent. He isn’t saving himself 2.7 percent. He is costing himself 1.7 percent.

Getting out of debt is never a bad idea but there is an opportunity right now for the average person to leverage debt to their advantage with very little risk.
My opinion is that there is no substitute for the financial peace that comes with no debt. For you and your family. There is always risk with debt, unless you have a guaranteed income for life, and you know you are guaranteed a life long enough to pay it off. Do your best to leave your wife and surviving family an asset, not a liability to deal with when you pass on. Equity is an asset.
Business debt is in a different category than personal debt. Just my 2 cents.

CorbLand

WKR
My opinion is that there is no substitute for the financial peace that comes with no debt. For you and your family. There is always risk with debt, unless you have a guaranteed income for life, and you know you are guaranteed a life long enough to pay it off. Do your best to leave your wife and surviving family an asset, not a liability to deal with when you pass on. Equity is an asset.
Business debt is in a different category than personal debt. Just my 2 cents.
That is why you always carry life insurance on both you and your spouse to cover atleast your debts.

In today’s climate, the return you can get off safe investments means there is little to zero risk of not paying your mortgage. Take the money you are putting extra towards your 3 percent mortgage and put it in a HYSA that is pulling 3.5 percent. If something happens, take that money out of your saving and put it towards your mortgage. You made .5 percent and ended up in the same place.

CorbLand

WKR
I cant talk my wife out of making extra payments on our mortgage. We have a 1.85% rate. Tried to get her to at least just put the money in a high yield savings account but she wont listen. Our savings is getting about 4% so I have no idea why she wont do it. Well, she wants the house paid off so we can buy a mountain property or make a move easier.
Dude….sit her down and show her the difference. At that, your down payment for your property could be made off what you make in interest alone.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
What platform do you all use for buying bitcoin? One of the things that has always turned me away from it is all these sketchy coin wallets you have do do the transaction through. Then with the whole FTX thing it makes me even more distrustful. I use vanguard for my brokerage and they don’t include any crypto, do some of the others like fidelity or Schwab offer it? Or are you all trusting something like Coinbase?

Dude….sit her down and show her the difference. At that, your down payment for your property could be made off what you make in interest alone.

Oh, I tired. We hope to have the house paid for in 5-6 years so the number just isnt big enough to sway her.