The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

tony

WKR
What are some good high yield savings accounts ?
I’ve heard of Marcus, I believe Goldman sacs ?

My opinion is that there is no substitute for the financial peace that comes with no debt. For you and your family. There is always risk with debt, unless you have a guaranteed income for life, and you know you are guaranteed a life long enough to pay it off. Do your best to leave your wife and surviving family an asset, not a liability to deal with when you pass on. Equity is an asset.
Business debt is in a different category than personal debt. Just my 2 cents.
I'm wired the same way. I understand the benefit of gaining a percent or two, etc. but It is a great feeling knowing you have no debt. It frees you up to have the attitude of "I don't have to put up with BS & I'm not going to"

Spoonbill

WKR
What platform do you all use for buying bitcoin? One of the things that has always turned me away from it is all these sketchy coin wallets you have do do the transaction through. Then with the whole FTX thing it makes me even more distrustful. I use vanguard for my brokerage and they don’t include any crypto, do some of the others like fidelity or Schwab offer it? Or are you all trusting something like Coinbase?
You can buy crypto through robinhood and paypal. I have used robinhood in the past but closed my account after they halted gamestop trades. I know a lot of people who use/used coinbase. They have been around for a while and I would trust them for buying crypto.

CorbLand

WKR
I'm wired the same way. I understand the benefit of gaining a percent or two, etc. but It is a great feeling knowing you have no debt. It frees you up to have the attitude of "I don't have to put up with BS & I'm not going to"
But if you are holding your money, you still have that ability.

I am not trying to be rude, I just don’t understand this way of thinking in the current financial climate. Paying off your mortgage is a risk adverse mentality and for the first time in 10-15 years, people that are risk adverse have the ability to make good money while still being risk adverse.

svivian

WKR

I am not trying to be rude, I just don’t understand this way of thinking in the current financial climate. Paying off your mortgage is a risk adverse mentality and for the first time in 10-15 years, people that are risk adverse have the ability to make good money while still being risk adverse.
Peace of mind and freedom is worth its weight in gold to some…. Nothing wrong with that either. To each their own

I think we agree on the end goal we just have 2 different paths to get there.
I strongly agree that taking some risk is the key to reaching your goals.
But to me, having no debt frees you up to take more risk.
It's like a protective barrier for your financial & mental state.
Heck I'm a little embarrassed at some of the crap I've taken chances on over the years but some of them have turned out really well. Others, well, not so much.

I think we agree on the end goal we just have 2 different paths to get there.
I strongly agree that taking some risk is the key to reaching your goals.
But to me, having no debt frees you up to take more risk.
It's like a protective barrier for your financial & mental state.
Heck I'm a little embarrassed at some of the crap I've taken chances on over the years but some of them have turned out really well. Others, well, not so much.
I couldn't agree more! My wife and I also find that it allows us to be more charitable.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What platform do you all use for buying bitcoin? One of the things that has always turned me away from it is all these sketchy coin wallets you have do do the transaction through. Then with the whole FTX thing it makes me even more distrustful. I use vanguard for my brokerage and they don’t include any crypto, do some of the others like fidelity or Schwab offer it? Or are you all trusting something like Coinbase?

I use Gemini. It has the best rates if you're trading less than $10k a year or something like that my number may be a little off. Coinbase Pro is a is a great option and the best rate if you're trading above the $10k mark. If you're using coinbase use the pro version, the base version has higher fees.

Not your keys, not your coins. You're going to hear this a lot. Take this as gospel. What this means is don't leave your crypto on an exchange like you would stocks/options or like you'd leave cash in a bank. Get a crypto wallet and transfer it to your wallet. I use a ledger, but there are more options. If you follow this advice all of the exchanges could go under tonight and you wouldn't lose a thing. The thesis of cypto is that you are your own bank.

Check out Andrei Jikh on youtube. He has some older videos that really helped me to understand all of this when I got started.

You can buy crypto through robinhood and paypal. I have used robinhood in the past but closed my account after they halted gamestop trades. I know a lot of people who use/used coinbase. They have been around for a while and I would trust them for buying crypto.
Don't use rodinhood or paypal. You own nothing when you use robinhood, robinhood owns it with your money. I think paypal works the same, but I'm not positive.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Not your keys not your crypto. I'll buy through Binance.us or Paypal and then immediately transfer the assets to Ledger, I got caught up in the Celsius debacle and lost a ton on that, I'll never have another cent in a soft wallet. Everything will be offline for me forever in the crypto space.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Getting antsy. Been looking at PR. I currently do not have any oil/gas stocks. I realize I might be getting in too late. I do have a little apprehension about there on expanded stock offering. Thoughts?

N.ID7803

WKR

tony

WKR
Thanks all
You guys still trust crypto after that bankruptcy/scandal a few months back?
I've thought about it, just don't know enough to understand and trust it.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I use Gemini. It has the best rates if you're trading less than $10k a year or something like that my number may be a little off. Coinbase Pro is a is a great option and the best rate if you're trading above the $10k mark. If you're using coinbase use the pro version, the base version has higher fees.

Not your keys, not your coins. You're going to hear this a lot. Take this as gospel. What this means is don't leave your crypto on an exchange like you would stocks/options or like you'd leave cash in a bank. Get a crypto wallet and transfer it to your wallet. I use a ledger, but there are more options. If you follow this advice all of the exchanges could go under tonight and you wouldn't lose a thing. The thesis of cypto is that you are your own bank.

Check out Andrei Jikh on youtube. He has some older videos that really helped me to understand all of this when I got started.

Don't use rodinhood or paypal. You own nothing when you use robinhood, robinhood owns it with your money. I think paypal works the same, but I'm not positive.
Thank you, that's helpful. I'll look into. The situation with the exchanges has basically prevented me from getting into it

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks all
You guys still trust crypto after that bankruptcy/scandal a few months back?
I've thought about it, just don't know enough to understand and trust it.
Brother you're asking the wrong question.

Do I trust crypto? I don't know what that means. I trust the underlying technology.
Do I trust Bitcoin. Yes
Do I trust Ethereum? Ehh, today yes.
Do I trust any other crypto coins? Generally no.
Do I trust exchanges? As a rule absolutely not. I trust a couple to hold my assets for a few days at a time. Get in and get out.

tony

WKR
:LOL: No idea what you just said!
Any place I can do some reading on the subject reliable?