The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
@Quadzilla32 - I like the idea of forget about it until retirement. I saw a graph that showed people who were 'dead' outperformed those living. lol....because they never sold or messed with it (like a 25 year chart).

@YBPS - While I agree to pay it off, many see that as the extra money spent to pay it off 'now', could be invested into an index fund which should yield greater than 2.5% over the life of said mortgage so in the end, you come out on top........

I just don't like debt.....
I like the idea of just forgetting about it, kind of like a nice little surprise later on but would the compounding interest grow too slow? I could be wrong but I would think the faster you grow an account (money in) the faster the interest can compound...

lak2004

WKR
Everyone's insight is super helpful in this thread, I appreciate all of the info people have and different perspectives. I wish I would have left my investments alone when I was in my early 20s, would be light years ahead of where I am currently. Oh well, I will keep chipping away at debt and keep investing for retirement and a little play money doesn't hurt too bad.

I've read differing opinions on setting stop losses and am wondering some of your thoughts. Do you set them at a percentage below your buy in or do you just hold and hope for a rebound? I'm sure it depends on what the stock is, but how do you play it?

I've set up stop losses around 25% of my buy in, but I'm only playing with about $2k, my risk tolerance is mostly high so should I just hold?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Are your guys investments for fun money or is this for retirement? I'm trying to set up some investments that can net me some fun money while i have separate IRA/401K accounts. I'm thinking of going with a brokerage account and throw is some money into stuff. good or bad idea?

seems like things are on the down right now might be a good time to jump in with some different dividend ETF's and get some passive income
I've got a retirement and a stock brokerage account in addition to the roth ira and 401k. I toss a standard amount into the retirement fund each paycheck. If there's any spare money leftover I play around with stocks in the other account. Anything I sell for a profit I'll pull the taxes out and then stuff the rest into VOO in my retirement fund. Anything I put into the stock fund I'm fine losing.

As long as your putting enough money into your ira/401k there is nothing wrong with having a fun account to play around with in my opinion. Making sure you're funding your retirement plans is the first priority.

CorbLand

WKR
I like the idea of just forgetting about it, kind of like a nice little surprise later on but would the compounding interest grow too slow? I could be wrong but I would think the faster you grow an account (money in) the faster the interest can compound...
Well, the faster you grow an account, the more the interest produces. 10% on 1,000 is 100 and 10% on 10,000 is 1,000. So you are not wrong...but high returns generally require high risk so its not guaranteed. If it was, we would all be millionaires by now.

The return on Tesla has been great since their inception 15 or so years ago but if Tesla went under you would be out all the money you put in them. The S&P 500 has returned an average of 10% a year over the last 100 years. If one company goes under, you dont lose all your money.

This is what high risk accounts look like.
Screenshot 2022-03-09 095232.png

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a retirement and a stock brokerage account in addition to the roth ira and 401k. I toss a standard amount into the retirement fund each paycheck. If there's any spare money leftover I play around with stocks in the other account. Anything I sell for a profit I'll pull the taxes out and then stuff the rest into VOO in my retirement fund. Anything I put into the stock fund I'm fine losing.

As long as your putting enough money into your ira/401k there is nothing wrong with having a fun account to play around with in my opinion. Making sure you're funding your retirement plans is the first priority.
That's the plan right now. I have a set amount i dump into my IRA each paycheck and auto deductions for my 401K. The account would be more for some extra income and would not be my priority, that's my retirement accounts.

My IRA made up of a three fund portfolio and 401K is a target date fund that is offered by my employer.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Well, the faster you grow an account, the more the interest produces. 10% on 1,000 is 100 and 10% on 10,000 is 1,000. So you are not wrong...but high returns generally require high risk so its not guaranteed. If it was, we would all be millionaires by now.

The return on Tesla has been great since their inception 15 or so years ago but if Tesla went under you would be out all the money you put in them. The S&P 500 has returned an average of 10% a year over the last 100 years. If one company goes under, you dont lose all your money.

This is what high risk accounts look like.
View attachment 389036
It would be S&P into a total market fund (VTSAX) which has almost the same return as the S&P

“President Biden’s historic executive order calls for a coordinated and comprehensive approach to digital asset policy. This approach will support responsible innovation that could result in substantial benefits for the nation, consumers, and businesses.”

“In addition, the Treasury will be partnering with other agencies to compile a report on the future of payment systems and money, in general.

The text was perceived well by the market.
Bitcoin’s price soared from slightly below $39,000 to just shy of $42,000 and is currently trading at around $41,700.

This entire action also left around $190 million worth of liquidated positions in the past 24 hours, the majority of which are naturally short.”

Who the hell is leveraging against Crypto? That’s insanity.

A little research shows that over 40% of men between 18 and 29 have their money in crypto over retirement, stocks and savings accounts. That’s a big number of young people expecting crypto to be their retirement (or get rich quick plan) over normal retirement or saving tactics. 18% of adults have also invested. This 18-29 age is the generation that has a lower income on average than most generations before them but more % of income investing into crypto than any other generations that invested in stocks and retirement at the same age which is also interesting. Basically it’s a whole generation of savings being invested into crypto without much research or knowledge of what they are investing in.

All info was just googling the other day so take it with a grain of salt.

I have been told by many not to pay off the house with a 2.5% rate. However I can’t see the benefit. Paying it off will save me hundreds a month in interest and free up several thousand a month in cash flow. I’m gona get it paid off ASAP.

I want my house paid of ASAP. One factor is retirement. If I can pay my house off earlier I can retire earlier with no debt. Right now we are just about making double payments on the 15 year term we refinanced into 2 years ago.

There are a lot of ways to do the math and the results will depend on investment return. Either way, paying of the house or putting the extra money you have in the market are both smart money moves over buying more things or just letting it sit in a saving account.

mwebs

WKR
Got into RCON from a tip on a board, haven’t looked into it much but apparently a oiler that hasn’t run yet? Lotto play if your felling frisky.