The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

mntnguide

WKR
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not but, few days ago QQQ formed a death cross on the daily and has been red each day since. 50ema crossing under 200ema.. most stocks you see this happen to don't recover right away and obviously QQQ is a market indicator. SPY is beginning to form a potential death cross as well, not there yet, but something I'm keeping a close eye on. Really volatile both ways, can make money up and down. I'm playing calls and puts depending on action... just something to keep an eye for overall market volatility especially in larger caps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not but, few days ago QQQ formed a death cross on the daily and has been red each day since. 50ema crossing under 200ema.. most stocks you see this happen to don't recover right away and obviously QQQ is a market indicator. SPY is beginning to form a potential death cross as well, not there yet, but something I'm keeping a close eye on. Really volatile both ways, can make money up and down. I'm playing calls and puts depending on action... just something to keep an eye for overall market volatility especially in larger caps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yep things could get very hairy quickly with everything going on in the world. I am being very cautious with my $.

bozeman

WKR
So a good question yesterday: with all of the uncertainty, do you put your $$ that you might invest into paying down debt (mortgage, car payment etc). To me, the debt other than mortgage should be attacked with a vengeance, but open to some thoughts........maybe a 3 month blitz on debt and let the market shows its true self?

So a good question yesterday: with all of the uncertainty, do you put your $$ that you might invest into paying down debt (mortgage, car payment etc). To me, the debt other than mortgage should be attacked with a vengeance, but open to some thoughts........maybe a 3 month blitz on debt and let the market shows its true self?
Interested in responses. With market being down I was always of the thought if you're adding $ you're getting in cheap. If one has debt and there's uncertainty in the market you get certainty by paying off that debt? Never thought about that.

Poser

WKR

“President Biden’s historic executive order calls for a coordinated and comprehensive approach to digital asset policy. This approach will support responsible innovation that could result in substantial benefits for the nation, consumers, and businesses.”

“In addition, the Treasury will be partnering with other agencies to compile a report on the future of payment systems and money, in general.

The text was perceived well by the market.
Bitcoin’s price soared from slightly below $39,000 to just shy of $42,000 and is currently trading at around $41,700.

This entire action also left around $190 million worth of liquidated positions in the past 24 hours, the majority of which are naturally short.”

Who the hell is leveraging against Crypto? That’s insanity.

Depends. Fixed or ARM? Is the APR lower than inflation?

KsRancher

WKR
Guessing I should have went ahead and got out of XOM & COP yesterday. Probably will regret not doing it

CorbLand

WKR
Take my opinion for what it is worth, which is nothing.

I wouldn't be paying down any more on your mortgage. If you refinanced anytime in the last year, your interest rate should be 3.2 or lower. That is well below what we are being told inflation is and I don't think we have come close to feeling what it truly is. Inflation alone could take care of your mortgage like happened in the 80s. I really hope I am wrong on this but its never felt more plausible than it does right now.

Vehicles, well its never a bad idea to pay off vehicles as soon as you can. Its a loan on a depreciating "asset" but like a mortgage, used vehicles have appreciated in the last year. If we hit 80s level of inflation, your going to come out ahead as vehicle pricing will increase with inflation.

Time in the market will beat timing the market every time (a lesson I wish I would have heeded with housing two years ago). I would not stop putting money into index funds in the stock market at this point or buying blue chip, well established companies. Speculative plays are getting more and more risky.

Overall, paying off your vehicle may be the a good idea. I wouldn't worry about your mortgage, unless you are looking to upgrade in the next 3 years. Dont stop investing.

Last edited:

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Are your guys investments for fun money or is this for retirement? I'm trying to set up some investments that can net me some fun money while i have separate IRA/401K accounts. I'm thinking of going with a brokerage account and throw is some money into stuff. good or bad idea?

seems like things are on the down right now might be a good time to jump in with some different dividend ETF's and get some passive income

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Are your guys investments for fun money or is this for retirement? I'm trying to set up some investments that can net me some fun money while i have separate IRA/401K accounts. I'm thinking of going with a brokerage account and throw is some money into stuff. good or bad idea?

My DIY investments are to get ballin-ass-rich.
My 401k is my boring-ass backup plan

CorbLand

WKR
Both. I have an individual account, Roth IRA and a 401K.

Individual is high risk, play for money. I shoot to make about 10-15% on a play in less than a week. Made money and lost money in it. Started with 200, turned it into 1000, lost it back to 700 and am about back to 1000. This has all been over the last two years.

Roth IRA is 80% long term index and blue chip stocks. 20% speculative high risk plays.

401K is set to follow the S&P. Long term retirement option.

bozeman

WKR
Investments is DIY, 401K and pension are for retirement.

On the other question: it was not for me, I do not like debt at all.....pay it off and be done, including mortgage, but I thought it was solid question. Guaranteed 4.9% return on their auto loan or invest with a strong chance to drop in value.......

CorbLand

WKR
Investments is DIY, 401K and pension are for retirement.

On the other question: it was not for me, I do not like debt at all.....pay it off and be done, including mortgage, but I thought it was solid question. Guaranteed 4.9% return on their auto loan or invest with a strong chance to drop in value.......
At a 5% interest rate on the auto loan, I would probably pay that off first. I would not be making extra payments on a mortgage until its gone. 5% seems high on an auto loan...I got a 4.1% back in 2018 and I could have gotten a 3.9% but the dealership offered to pay the first year registration if we financed with them. Knew I would pay it off in 2 years so came out ahead by like 20 bucks on that one.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Things are a bit different up north here, but i run 18% of my earnings (6% me, 12% employer match) into RRSP's (401K) with an extra $500/month contribution, then I run an extra $500/month into a tax-free savings account which i what I trade out of. Any profits are tax free.

I was debating on whether to throw an extra 10% on the principal of my mortgage to cut it down a few years while I have the cash now, but I might wait another year or two to see how this inflation and war pan out.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Another question would it be any benefit to let an old investment account just wait and forget about it till retirement or would it be smarter to transfer the balance to a more active account?

I have a TSP account that is following the C fund (S&P 500) I am not contributing to that account anymore. Thinking of transferring it over to my Vanguard account and dumbing the money into my index funds. I would think the compounding interest would make rolling it over better than just letting the balance sit there and grow slowly without additional contributions.

bozeman

WKR
@Quadzilla32 - I like the idea of forget about it until retirement. I saw a graph that showed people who were 'dead' outperformed those living. lol....because they never sold or messed with it (like a 25 year chart).

@YBPS - While I agree to pay it off, many see that as the extra money spent to pay it off 'now', could be invested into an index fund which should yield greater than 2.5% over the life of said mortgage so in the end, you come out on top........

I just don't like debt.....

CorbLand

WKR
I have been told by many not to pay off the house with a 2.5% rate. However I can’t see the benefit. Paying it off will save me hundreds a month in interest and free up several thousand a month in cash flow. I’m gona get it paid off ASAP.
Its a risk.

You are paying extra to save yourself 2.5%. You could take those extra payments and invest, make 5% on them and come out a head. You can then use your gains to pay your interest on your mortgage and have an extra 2.5%.

If you have a 2.5% rate, you are costing yourself money by paying extra. Average inflation is 3%. You are getting a free .5% each year by using someone elses money.

On the other hand, paying extra on your mortgage is a guaranteed savings on interest.

Neither way is wrong.