The Hunters Orange Epidemic

Not only this but if the only thing keeping some idiot from mistaking a human for a 4-legged critter is bright colors...well that person probably eats crayons and has no business toting a rifle in the woods.

Orange or not, failing to identify your target and shooting a person should equal a very long prison stay.
Wait...Marines eat crayons and we carry rifles. And grenades. And other objects that can kill with.

Porterka

FNG
Wait...Marines eat crayons and we carry rifles. And grenades. And other objects that can kill with.

That’s what I was thinking! I never had an issue eating crayons or carrying a rifle don’t know why it would become an issue now.

I live in a state that requires it, I comply simply to not have issues with wardens but I think it is ridiculous to have to wear it. Safety is cultural not colorful orange isn’t going to help you not get shot if people aren’t taught to identify their target before firing.

I’m hunting mostly Archery now and it’s much nicer to not deal with the orange when changing layers or dropping gear.

16Bore

WKR
Camo companies spend millions to develop patterns that blend with the environment but a guy should be able to spot another hunter covered head to toe from 300 yards away?

If Joe Kuiu wants to pass on his own safety, that’s fine with me. I don’t have that much faith in any hunters ability.

I think guys are more worried about how it clashes with their $500 monkey suit than anything.

But hey, helmet laws are stupid too. I think Seinfeld said it best “Does it make sense to pass a law to protect a brain that’s not smart enough to wear a helmet?”

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Orange laws are for your safety cause you can't control the other guy.

If it's about OUR OWN safety, shouldn't WE be the ones to choose what we do with that and not the government choosing for us? There is no "personal" responsibility or accountability anymore.......everyone expects the government to take care of that for us. After all, it's the government's job to protect us from ourselves......right? Or is it?

And if it was really about keeping the people safe, then anyone and everyone that entered the woods during hunting season would be required to wear orange. I mean.......they can't control the other guy.

16Bore

WKR
Would you agree to releasing any liability for harm caused by another hunter for your choice not to wear orange?

Get rid of the speed limit and make drinking and driving legal too.

S.Clancy

WKR
If it's about OUR OWN safety, shouldn't WE be the ones to choose what we do with that and not the government choosing for us? There is no "personal" responsibility or accountability anymore.......everyone expects the government to take care of that for us. After all, it's the government's job to protect us from ourselves......right? Or is it?

And if it was really about keeping the people safe, then anyone and everyone that entered the woods during hunting season would be required to wear orange. I mean.......they can't control the other guy.
I wonder if it's more about liability than anything. PPE is standard in all industries, I don't think it's a stretch to imagine a scenario where someone gets shot where orange isn't required (say Idaho) then sues the state for failure to mandate safe practice. Not saying it's right, but in a litigious society it seems plausible.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Would you agree to releasing any liability for harm caused by another hunter for your choice not to wear orange?

Do you release all liability when wearing orange........or do people accept liability only because someone is wearing orange? Plenty of hunters wearing orange get shot too. I'm not saying that wearing orange is bad. I'm saying that people should be able to make their own choices........on their own. That's why God gave us brains........to use them. Not sure why so many refuse to use theirs, or defer their use to the government.

As for the speed limits.........I believe in personal responsibility and accountability. When somebody causes harm to another individual, they should be responsible and accountable for that, regardless of what the speed limit is. Let us make our own choices. Saying that speeding alone is dangerous is like saying that carrying a gun is dangerous. Now, having said that, it's also my opinion that most people can't even handle sitting in their car in the driveway, let alone actually attempting to drive it.....at any speed. But that's a whole other discussion.

16Bore

WKR
So if I’m in the woods and theres a brainless flatbrim knucklehead, I wanna see him from as far away as possible and I want him to see me from as far away as possible.

If he’s not smart enough to realize that it’s better for both of us, then I can’t help him.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So if I’m in the woods and theres a brainless flatbrim knucklehead, I wanna see him from as far away as possible and I want him to see me from as far away as possible.

If he’s not smart enough to realize that it’s better for both of us, then I can’t help him.

Yes, see "brain talk" and "car sitting in driveway" above. I wonder every day how a lot of people even find their way out of bed each morning.......or afternoon, let alone try to function in the world. There are plenty of recreationalists that are wandering around the woods every day during hunting seasons with that same yahoo out there. Yet they aren't mandated by the government to wear orange or not. Does the government think that hunters are less capable to make their own choices than the average public? I don't think so, but it would appear that way the way the laws are written.

jb1842

FNG
WI public land a few years ago on gun opener, I saw 3 guys 100 yards from me take about 8 shots at a running doe. I like to think that they only stopped because the doe was coming at me and they knew I was there because I was wearing orange.

You dont understand. A hunter that chooses not to wear orange is only putting his own safety at risk, so that should be his choice. A driver who chooses to speed and drive drunk is putting Others safety at risk. It is absolutely not the same thing, that is a very piss poor argument.

Dunky

WKR
I hunt in an area that has a "shrine" to a young man who was shot by his father. Both were experienced hunters. They had wounded a bull and were tracking it. The son, was not wearing orange and ended up in front of dad on the track. Dad saw movement ahead and thinking it was his bull and shot his son in the back. Who knows what would have happened if he had been wearing orange but I think its a good example of the fact that people get excited and do irrational things like not correctly identifying what they are shooting at. The human factor. Wearing orange gives you that extra margin of safety in those circumstances, like a seatbelt may keep you from being ejected from your car. I used to walk out of the woods after dark without my light on, but after some knucklehead shot a guy in the dark during bow season , I turn on my light.

BuzzH

WKR

We did choose. Hunters orange requirements are self imposed regulations that a majority of hunters in each state decide on. No different than caliber regulations, season dates, etc. This is not some .gov conspiracy that the tin foil hat crowd is making it out to be. A simple regulation, nothing more. Follow it like any other regulation...not a big deal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We did choose. Hunters orange requirements are self imposed regulations that a majority of hunters in each state decide on.

Hmmmmm........I never chose that, nor was it ever given to us "as a choice". If it was self-imposed, I'd be OK with that. I wore some orange when I took my daughter ML hunting two years ago, even though I wasn't "required" to by some outside organization. Just the way it should be. Being responsible for ourselves with our own decisions isn't a big deal. Just like being able to turn left across oncoming traffic when its clear isn't a big deal either. But big brother thinks otherwise because someone had a problem with that, so they put in red left arrow light bulbs to now tell us when we can't go........instead of allowing people to use their own brains instead. So now we're all sitting and waiting for a light bulb to tell us we're OK to go when there isn't any traffic coming for over 1/2 mile. That's embarrassing to the human race.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Hmmmmm........I never chose that, nor was it ever given to us "as a choice". If it was self-imposed, I'd be OK with that. I wore some orange when I took my daughter ML hunting two years ago, even though I wasn't "required" to by some outside organization. Just the way it should be. Being responsible for ourselves with our own decisions isn't a big deal.
Were you asked about baiting regulations, shooting hours, caliber regulations, license requirements? Are those also a .gov conspiracy against your rights?

I suggest if you don't like a particular regulation, lobby your gf commission to get it changed. Don't be surprised if you get some pushback from other hunters that like the hunters orange regs.

You have other options as well...nobody is forcing you to participate in the privilege of hunting...it's not a right. Further you can roll the dice and pay a fine if you choose not to adhere to the regulation.

Or you can make the simple choice to just comply with the regulations.

Last edited: