The Hunters Orange Epidemic

twall13

WKR
True story. Stopped in local bar in northern Michigan for lunch during deer season. Two old hunters at bar talking. First guy says to his pal, You get anything? Second guy replies, "Nope, all I got was couple of sound shots off. Me, the dummy, asks what is a sound shot? Old guy looks at me like I am an idiot - You know, where you see the brush move and take a poke. Don't you hunt?

And that is why I wear a vest.
While pheasant hunting years ago my uncle fired into some brush and then called out, "What was that? I heard something move and fired at it." Turned out to be a deer busting tail out of there, likely with a few shotgun pellets in its hide. Just as easily could have been me or my cousin pushing through the brush. Needless to say, he's not on my list of people to hunt with. Experiences like that have me wearing orange all over on crowded public hunts, even on upland hunts where not required. I still can't grasp how you can shoot at something without knowing what it is let alone where the vitals are but I've seen it happen enough to know I'd rather wear orange in the hope that it deters a stupid shot and I come home safe. That obviously has nothing to do with whether it's a legal requirement or the reason behind such laws but in my opinion it can't hurt to wear it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
America still rules. "The Good Old Days" don't exist that bullshit It's never been better in all of the world than it is right now, right here, and its only getting better tomorrow and the next day and the next day after that. Sometimes to live in a society requires some give and take. Freedom is not "free". People don't think about how much they actually ask of society it requires a lot of sacrifice for us to live in the best country in the history of the world some pay the ultimate price. I'm grateful for everyday I'm afforded by the hard work and sacrifice of someone else to do the things I love.

Freedom doesn't mean you have the right to do whatever the f&$% you want. It means we all have to sacrifice a little some more than others. We put aside our differences and compromise. It's about getting along together. Sometimes that requires you follow a stupid rule.

JNDEER

WKR
Good topic that seems to be addressed on all sides... Lots of opinions and states that require it.. so i will ask a simple (semi off topic) question.

For those who wear it ... Does anyone have a GOOD long sleeve wool (or synthetic if high quality) recommendation for a hunt in warm weather with moderate to high humidity? Most use just a vest over a camo long sleeve shirt, but why not just wear a full long sleeve high quality orange shirt? Seems FL, Kuiu, Sitka, etc don't make a orange LS shirt in their high quality materials.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Good topic that seems to be addressed on all sides... Lots of opinions and states that require it.. so i will ask a simple (semi off topic) question.

For those who wear it ... Does anyone have a GOOD long sleeve wool (or synthetic if high quality) recommendation for a hunt in warm weather with moderate to high humidity? Most use just a vest over a camo long sleeve shirt, but why not just wear a full long sleeve high quality orange shirt? Seems FL, Kuiu, Sitka, etc don't make a orange LS shirt in their high quality materials.

Kryptek makes some pretty good stuff in the "Inferno" pattern it's basically orange camo I've used it and never been hassled by any authority about wearing it. I feel it breaks up your pattern and it's highly visible tot he human eye. They seem to be a lot cheaper than FL and Sitka for sure.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
a GOOD long sleeve wool (or synthetic if high quality) recommendation for a hunt in warm weather with moderate to high humidity? Most use just a vest over a camo long sleeve shirt, but why not just wear a full long sleeve high quality orange shirt? Seems FL, Kuiu, Sitka, etc don't make a orange LS shirt in their high quality m

I haven't been able to find it either. I recently bought the attached to wear as a baselayer for upland hunting, and its great for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8WNVDQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No orange regulation here in AZ but I wear it while I quail hunt. I bow hunt and don’t wear it while hunting but helping out buddies during the muzzle loader season I do wear a little.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Based on this...I'd fully expect you to be first in line to hand over your guns when/if certain firearms are ever banned.

After all, it's the law, so let's blindly follow and how dare anyone question, challenge or debate the validity of said law.

Its attitudes like this that contribute to the eroding of our civil liberties. IMHO.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Well. That’s your opinion.

It's about getting along together. Sometimes that requires you follow a stupid rule.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Because we live in America and because of our hard-won freedom and rights of free speech, we also have the right....and perhaps duty....to identify and debate the value of stupid rules. We can examine the reason they exist, and question whether they work or not. We can even get them changed in time. Doing exactly that is what led to my state (Ohio) putting aside the (stupid) law preventing hunting on Sunday which existed for many decades. It was a personal freedom thing....and we won.

Sobrbiker

WKR
AZ has had 4 fatalities that I could find since 1992, and that includes a guy that shot himself in the femur taking his pack off earlier this year.

IF YOU CANNOT FOLLOW THE FOUR RULES OF FIREARM SAFETY, PUT THE WEAPON DOWN AND SLOWLY BACK AWAY!!
5BA0397A-3BF7-45AD-BB32-899006603BB8.jpeg

twall13

WKR

The Kryptek Cronos Hoody is on camofire right now in Inferno pattern/color. It's not legal in every state but it is in Utah and it's a good piece I've used the past three years. Very similar to the First Lite's Klamoth hoody, so perhaps warmer than what you are wanting but it is a quality synthetic in orange.

Since Voormi is making neon running wool and they do have some hunting pieces I'm hopeful they might make something in orange in the future. They already have a wool beanie and a neck gaiter in orange.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wdh76

FNG
Not only this but if the only thing keeping some idiot from mistaking a human for a 4-legged critter is bright colors...well that person probably eats crayons and has no business toting a rifle in the woods.

Orange or not, failing to identify your target and shooting a person should equal a very long prison stay.
^ This
There are definitely a lot of crayon eaters out there that probably should not tote a rifle

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
In Montana the hunter orange rules only apply to road hunters...it's there to save the trucks...I thought everyone knew that. If it was meant to protect people then everyone would have to wear it during hunting season.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I don’t particularly like it and the people I hunt with are safe enough that it’s not necessary to keep us from shooting each other. The hat isn’t a big deal but the vest can be annoying when you’re dealing with changing layers plus wearing a backpack and bino harness.

One benefit of you’re on public land though is other hunters being able to see that you’re in the area and hopefully give you a bit of space unless you’re right on the trail and they’re going in deeper.

Heard about archery guys getting pissed off when somebody comes past them and “messes them up”, but if they have no idea you’re there, tough crap.

I’ve also used them to mark places where I’ve taken the shot from and the start of a blood trail. It’s easy to look backwards and line things up to put you in the general area. Last year we hung a vest in a tree to help some guys find us to help pack an elk out. We were about as far apart as you could see with the naked eye, and straight up the mountain, so a white game bag wouldn’t have been as visible, plus we already had the meat in them.

In my state it's not required if you are in a stand at least 12' off the ground or in a blind, so I usually don't wear it either of those senarios as stated earlier. But if I hunted on public land or on a lease, where I might encounter other areas, I'd be wearing it for sure. But at the same time, I'd rather the government not make those decisions for me.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
Orange was not required for my elk hunt in Arizona this year. But I still wore an orange hat all week. It's a very crowded unit, and it was a rifle hunt. Someone on every ridge looking to make their long range shot. I'd rather be seen, or at least improve the chances of being seen.

Rich M

WKR
Lotsa guys hollering about rights a bad laws. I guess youall have never hunted a crowded area. Orange laws are for your safety cause you can't control the other guy.