The Hunters Orange Epidemic

ODB

WKR
No need to turn this place into 24hr campfire. Before you know it someone will call on the posse comitatus and we’ll all have to find new and inventive ways to spell swear words. Much more fun to stay level-headed and be able to spell ”shit” like it was intended to be...

wernerjd

FNG
X2

I wear it and have my family and friends wear it so we don't become an incidentally accident of being shot because we were beyond the target animal and were un seen in the background, I have a friend that was settling in on a shot at a buck when he caught a little movement 150 yards behind the buck , passed on the shot because it was a fully camoed hunter, with out that movement he would have shot, had there been orange he would have never even lifted his rifle up.
[/QUOTE]

Rich M

WKR
If it's about OUR OWN safety, shouldn't WE be the ones to choose what we do with that and not the government choosing for us? There is no "personal" responsibility or accountability anymore.......everyone expects the government to take care of that for us. After all, it's the government's job to protect us from ourselves......right? Or is it?

And if it was really about keeping the people safe, then anyone and everyone that entered the woods during hunting season would be required to wear orange. I mean.......they can't control the other guy.
If it's about OUR OWN safety, shouldn't WE be the ones to choose what we do with that and not the government choosing for us? There is no "personal" responsibility or accountability anymore.......everyone expects the government to take care of that for us. After all, it's the government's job to protect us from ourselves......right? Or is it?

And if it was really about keeping the people safe, then anyone and everyone that entered the woods during hunting season would be required to wear orange. I mean.......they can't control the other guy.
Don't sweat the small stuff. I grew up east of the Mississippi and have had orange laws since the 80s.

Ultimately it is up to you what you do.

Funny how this argument is triggering the government control argument. I think you guys are just missing hunting season.

Happy New Year!

16Bore

WKR
The number of hunters whose judgement I trust is exactly 2. The rest of them I wanna see from miles away.

The funny thing here is I'm guessing almost nobody is straightforwardly against the wearing of hunter orange. A lot of guys would wear it or agree with its use by anyone who chooses to use it.

Does anyone know of a state in which hunters lobbied their elected lawmakers to make the use of hunter orange mandatory?

I am on both sides. In a perfect world a hunter shouldn't have to wear orange in order to not get shot but there are a surprising amount of idiots who shoot first and ask questions later. To me its worth wearing orange as best I can on public land. Especially if I am packing out game.

Billinsd

WKR
The funny thing here is I'm guessing almost nobody is straightforwardly against the wearing of hunter orange. A lot of guys would wear it or agree with its use by anyone who chooses to use it.

Does anyone know of a state in which hunters lobbied their elected lawmakers to make the use of hunter orange mandatory?
I've heard at least one say, they are more likely to have another hunter look at them through their scope. That's the best argument against wearing orange, safetywise.

Billinsd

WKR
Joe Longrange is all snipered out and has a round zip over his head....who’s going to be at fault?
It depends. If the guy shooting at him is shooting at sounds, that guy is responsible. If the guy shooting at him is shooting at something and doesn't see Joe Longrange, it's still his fault, because he pulled the trigger, however I don't see how anything could happen to him if it's proved he didn't see or know the guy was there.

Billinsd

WKR
Friggin hardly....

You wear a seatbelt?
It's the same thing. I do both, and like 5Miles despise the gooberment forcing me to. However of all the laws and regulations I have to follow in my life hunter orange and seatbelts give me the least heartburn by far.

Billinsd

WKR
Get out of the bunker, self imposed hunting regulations aren't a government conspiracy against your freedoms.
I'm throwing a flag!! Timeout! Buzz come on man. Self imposed means you impose them on yourself. There is no such thing as self imposed hunting regulations. There are hunting regulations and there are self imposed restrictions. I'll give you the benefit of doubt. You meant self imposed restrictions? Right? Self imposed restrictions are not a government conspiracy against my freedoms, by definition how could they be? Carry on...

BuzzH

WKR
Most all hunting regulations are put in place at the recommendation of a majority of those that participate via lobbying the gf commissions. Commissions that are granted that authority by the state legislators that we elect to office...how a representative republic works.

Further, it doesn't take repealing a law to change a hunting regulation you don't like. It's a regulation that can be changed by a gf commission.

How in the hell anyone can come to the conclusion that a hunting regulation is a .gov conspiracy...needs to quit listening to am radio in the bunker.

Yes, hunters have placed, imposed....whatever you want to call it, regulations on themselves for a long time. Without doing so, there wouldn't be wildlife around to hunt...if only obviously.

Billinsd

WKR
Fascinating thread that's evolved into how much if any should the government be involved in keeping us safe. I'm way, way over on the I'll take care of myself thank you very much side. I can see how others feel, especially on the opposite side, like Buzz. I'm not angry at him, though. We have a disagreement. We all need to learn to live in disagreement with each other. I have LOTS of practice living in California.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Most all hunting regulations are put in place at the recommendation of a majority of those that participate via lobbying the gf commissions. Commissions that are granted that authority by the state legislatures that we elect to office...how a representative republic works.

Further, it doesn't take repealing a law to change a hunting regulation you don't like. It's a regulation that can be changed by a gf commission.
Pretty much, I believe you, at least in the state you live.
How in the hell anyone can come to the conclusion that a hunting regulation is a .gov conspiracy...needs to quit listening to am radio in the bunker
The force is strong with this one!! I remember you lean more liberal in a very Conservative place. I lean extremely right and live in a fanatical liberal place. That defines our views tremendously. You should live and experience hunting in California. You might want to buy some bunker plans or seriously consider moving like me. : )
Yes, hunters have placed, imposed....whatever youto call it, regulations on themselves for a long time. Without doing so, there wouldn't be wildlife around to hunt...if only obviously.
You are saying hunters self regulate themselves and have been for a long time? To a degree yes. You say without self regulating ourselves there wouldn't be any game around to hunt? You should know this better than me, since I'm a Californian. Without government regulations, and enforcement most game animals would be gone. I'm not against all government regulations, especially those that manage game animals. I'm in favor of sound game regulations managing game animals!!! Cheers Bill

jspradley

WKR
I gotta say, the idea that you shouldn't wear orange because someone might check you out through their scope is one of the most bizarre things I've read on here. That's reeaaallllyyy reaching for excuses to justify doing dumb stuff.