The gutless method. Why aren't you doing it if you have to pack out?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It looks like he is super interested in the insides of the animal (heart and liver for eating and bullet performance) so gutting absolutely makes sense in that scenario.
Correct. We do a lot of youth hunts in the last several years as well so it’s a teaching opportunity. We show them the gutless method as well, then can make their own decisions once they kill other own.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
And if they die like this, there is no way one guy alone is gutting. I’ve had more than one bull die like this and the only way they were coming apart was one quarter at a time until I could finally get it rolled over. I consider myself fairly strong and fit, but rolling an elk around by myself is not on my to do list unless it’s absolutely necessary.

For reference, this bull took me over 2.5 hours to work up. It’s about a 40 degree slope of decomposed granite. Nothing to tie anything off to. It was a nightmare.
View attachment 738086
You don’t carry cordage in your pack for downed animals on steep terrain?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So out of curiosity, you gut them out and then skin/quarter?
Yes sir. Guts out, heart and liver out, tenderloins out. Skin and cape or remove for skull only. I debone on site most the time on strict backpack hunts if the state allows. I’m not carrying extra bones for long hauls.

Fire_9

WKR
I still prefer gutless most the time but I still peel the hide back from the belly side instead of the spine. I did it that way for so long when I was gutting them that it's what feels natural. Felt like a fish out of water coming down from the spine

Poser

WKR
And if they die like this, there is no way one guy alone is gutting. I’ve had more than one bull die like this and the only way they were coming apart was one quarter at a time until I could finally get it rolled over. I consider myself fairly strong and fit, but rolling an elk around by myself is not on my to do list unless it’s absolutely necessary.

For reference, this bull took me over 2.5 hours to work up. It’s about a 40 degree slope of decomposed granite. Nothing to tie anything off to. It was a nightmare.
View attachment 738086

Yeah, had one similar, though we could tie it off and even built a gear ratio, it was just too much weight and too much drag to move more than a few inches and, between the uphill tree blocking us out and the slope angle, just couldn’t do anything with it. When I gutted it out, I was actually a bit nervous about getting pinned or crushed if the carcass were to shift on the steep slope angle. There were two downhill angles going on here and gravity was attempting to have its way with both.

fc728aaa54eb2afb0b93bf58d4f47f28.jpg

Lowedown

FNG
Apology for the long write up, but I wanted to add context :)
No joke; the first time I did it I hadn't even heard of the "gutless method". After processing lots of game it just made sense to me so I made it up while processing my first archery elk LOL. Later explaining it to a friend he was like "o the gutless method, I have heard of that".
I personally define the gutless method as any game breakdown process in which you leave the subcutaneous abdominal parts from the diaphragm back to the anus intact and attached to the carcass, while removing all edible meat portions from the main carcass.

We have done this on Elk, deer, bears, and pronghorn. At the end of the process we open up a rib or 2 and recover the heart.

I prefer it for how clean I can keep everything. I wear nitrile gloves and rarely get my clothes or skin dirty. There is little to no transfer of contaminants to the meat if done properly. With a little practice we have gotten very good at getting the whole tenderloins out clean. Gutless method also gets the major meat parts broken away from the body and able to cool quicker, even if your leaving on the bone. If you plan to debone in the field there is generally no reason to gut the animal.
As far as speed goes, a mobile slaughter butcher friend of mine did the cutting while us 3 others helped skin then just held onto things....15 minutes from start to all meat on packs and it was one of the cleanest wasteless jobs I have ever seen. So it is possible :) (I generally take my time cause I'm not a pro like him).

To be fair to traditional gutting method, I do feel it has the advantage in the following situations:
1.Your situation dictates that you need to, or wish to take the animal out as whole as possible. such as: you harvested an animal in a farmers field and he doesn't want the carcass left behind (or helps you out with a tractor) , or another location you can't leave bones (like the situation Salty Sailor has).
2. The animal is smaller than an elk, and you wish to age it hanging whole, including the BS and TL. (When we do the gutless method we are able to age the quarters, but process the loose meat, Backstraps, and Tenderloins immediately to avoid waste).
3. You wish to perform a necropsy for research purposes.

Don't forget when doing the gutless method you most likely need to leave some proof of sex attached to a quarter (depending on state). We generally keep a patch of scrotum or mammary attached but tightly bagged to keep hair off the meat.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
No joke; the first time I did it I hadn't even heard of the "gutless method". After processing lots of game it just made sense to me so I made it up while processing my first archery elk LOL. Later explaining it to a friend he was like "o the gutless method, I have heard of that".
I personally define the gutless method as any game breakdown process in which you leave the subcutaneous abdominal parts from the diaphragm back to the anus intact and attached to the carcass, while removing all edible meat portions from the main carcass.

We have done this on Elk, deer, bears, and pronghorn. At the end of the process we open up a rib or 2 and recover the heart.

I prefer it for how clean I can keep everything. I wear nitrile gloves and rarely get my clothes or skin dirty. There is little to no transfer of contaminants to the meat if done properly. With a little practice we have gotten very good at getting the whole tenderloins out clean. Gutless method also gets the major meat parts broken away from the body and able to cool quicker, even if your leaving on the bone. If you plan to debone in the field there is generally no reason to gut the animal.
As far as speed goes, a mobile slaughter butcher friend of mine did the cutting while us 3 others helped skin then just held onto things....15 minutes from start to all meat on packs and it was one of the cleanest wasteless jobs I have ever seen. So it is possible :) (I generally take my time cause I'm not a pro like him).

To be fair to traditional gutting method, I do feel it has the advantage in the following situations:
1.Your situation dictates that you need to, or wish to take the animal out as whole as possible. such as: you harvested an animal in a farmers field and he doesn't want the carcass left behind (or helps you out with a tractor) , or another location you can't leave bones (like the situation Salty Sailor has).
2. The animal is smaller than an elk, and you wish to age it hanging whole, including the BS and TL. (When we do the gutless method we are able to age the quarters, but process the loose meat, Backstraps, and Tenderloins immediately to avoid waste).

Don't forget when doing the gutless method you most likely need to leave some proof of sex attached to a quarter (depending on state). We generally keep a patch of scrotum or mammary attached but tightly bagged to keep hair off the meat.
Good stuff! I appreciate the longer write ups.

Poser

WKR

Skin one testical out and you don't have to deal with hairy balls.

WCB

WKR
OP...might have helped if you prefaced it to exclude reason due to regulation or harvesting organs and just defining it as any form, boneless or bone in, without removing the guts/organs.

Only time I gut an animal now is

#1 it is where I can get a vehicle to or very close to. Which are basically instate hunts around home or the cabin or sometimes our place in ND. Animal is normally hung and skinned for a day or so then processed. Basically it is super easy to get the animal out whole.

#2 animal is in a $h!t spot (steep, thick, wedged, etc) strictly for ease of moving/manipulating animal.

It is simply faster, cleaner, and if guys can't get the tenderloins out properly gutless, they probably don't get them out correctly gutted.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Majority of my clients' deer and/or antelope get gutted because we can get them out whole. If not, they are quartered (gutless). If I can't get a vehicle to my own animals, they are quartered (gutless) and packed. I have a couple times cut cow elk in half and drug down to vehicles (when snow was on the ground).

Reactions: WCB

Taudisio

WKR
It is totally situation dependent. For deer, I’ve shown a lot of “traditionalists” what I call the “4 cuts method” to gut one. If you aren’t going to be hauling it a long way, or keeping the cape for a mount, it’s pretty slick.
I like to use gutless on my own deer as I don’t think aging deer meat does anything (personal opinion, do whatever you want). It saves me from finding a good tree, hanging it, skinning and then quartering it. Just gets the whole process done with and in the cooler/fridge. I cut whatever steaks I can out of the meat and the rest gets de-boned, cubed, and thrown into grind meat for the butcher to make sticks/pressed jerky. So many ways to “skin the cat” I don’t think one is right or wrong. Whatever works for you in the situation is great.

LostArra

WKR
That was the question I asked myself a long time ago and have not gutted an animal since. I don't care what somebody else does, I'm not gutting anymore. I boned out an Elk a few years ago too and won't do that again either.
Amen brother!!
Guts attract more flies and other pesky vermin

Gutless does not mean boneless.