The elk shoulder that stopped a 308

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
My pic is also elk scapulas and also lost the core.

In my mind the only way I can see a bullet skipping vs penetration is on a super hard quartering shot and the shot being wide of the pocket.....or at incredible velocity.

I've parked a lot of 140 class bullets in elk and they tend to push deep.

Non bonded cup and core bullets are inherently inconsistent terminal performers. They come apart relatively easily, so they will have a higher frequency of failure. That doesn’t mean they 100% fail…just that the design is more failure prone than a bonded bullet or a monolithic bullet.

the Sierra Match King is notorious for both explosively fragmenting…and not fragmenting at all. If you look at the hollow point, they are all shaped slightly different. Every once in a while, you get one where the tip bends shut on impact and it penetrates like a fmj ball round or tries to turn/tumble.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Wait, I thought photographic evidence was the unassailable, holy grail, be-all-end-all in questions of terminal ballistics, or does that hinge on the thread in which it is posted?
Are you telling me you believe the grey thing slammed into that muscle at 1900 fps (speed they stated in the video) and stopped after going through the hide only without even going full depth into the muscle? (edit, and per the video makers claim that grey thing weights 175 gr).
IMG_5486.jpeg

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
Non bonded cup and core bullets are inherently inconsistent terminal performers. They come apart relatively easily, so they will have a higher frequency of failure. That doesn’t mean they 100% fail…just that the design is more failure prone than a bonded bullet or a monolithic bullet.

the Sierra Match King is notorious for both explosively fragmenting…and not fragmenting at all. If you look at the hollow point, they are all shaped slightly different. Every once in a while, you get one where the tip bends shut on impact and it penetrates like a fmj ball round or tries to turn/tumble.
I’ve found cup & core match bullets to be MUCH more consistent killers than a bonded bullet. Bonded & monos have much narrower wounds. Similar to the FMJ you mentioned

Are you telling me you believe the grey thing slammed into that muscle at 1900 fps (speed they stated in the video) and stopped after going through the hide only without even going full depth into the muscle? (edit, and per the video makers claim that grey thing weights 175 gr).
Look man if he wanted more than skin-deep penetration then he should have used a magnum.

Grundy53

WKR
View attachment 652241
With ZERO blood shot or bruising.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR

here's your 142smk in action.....

Screenshot_20240104-220359_Photos.jpg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Bulletproof shoulder muscle, that elk was yolked out of its mind. I think we can all take a lesson from that in our workout goals for 2024.
Serious question, because I don't know. Is it "yolked" as in been eating a lot of egg yolks, or is it yoked as in the implement to harness a team of oxen?

I think that question belongs on this thread.

Is it "yolked" as in been eating a lot of egg yolks, or is it yoked as in the implement to harness a team of oxen?
From the looks of it people used yolked and yoked interchangeably to mean jacked/ripped/etc. But yoked seems like it would fit better even if it looks uglier as a word compared to yolked.

Squincher

WKR
View attachment 652241

It must be true, there are pictures on RS. And pictures on RS can't be questioned....even a little bit.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Wait, I thought photographic evidence was the unassailable, holy grail, be-all-end-all in questions of terminal ballistics, or does that hinge on the thread in which it is posted?
It must be true, there are pictures on RS. And pictures on RS can't be questioned....even a little bit.

A Youtuber tale about bullet failure based on a single unbloody picture is different than a caliber thread with dozens of seperate accounts/pictures.

I get it. This forum (like all others) gets campy about certain subjects. But nobody I know has ever seen a bullet impact on a live animal that didn't have a trace of blood

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Pictures on here are questioned, frequently. They are questioned even when they line up with all the facts and are supported by multiple different accounts.

I will take your statement as an affirmative to my question.

Squincher

WKR
Pictures on here are questioned, frequently. They are questioned even when they line up with all the facts and are supported by multiple different accounts.

I will take your statement as an affirmative to my question.

I have no idea what happened with their bullet since I wasn't there, but I know bullets on rare occasions do things you would never expect. I don't care one way or the other what happened to them. I just find it funny reading all the RS "enlightened" posting screeds against this photographic evidence while posting the opposite screeds in the .223 thread whenever someone questions that photographic evidence. I guess I just enjoy watching displays of hypocrisy and lack of intellectual integrity, especially by those who come across as believing they are above it all.

BjornF16

WKR
I have no idea what happened with their bullet since I wasn't there, but I know bullets on rare occasions do things you would never expect. I don't care one way or the other what happened to them. I just find it funny reading all the RS "enlightened" posting screeds against this photographic evidence while posting the opposite screeds in the .223 thread whenever someone questions that photographic evidence. I guess I just enjoy watching displays of hypocrisy and lack of intellectual integrity, especially by those who come across as believing they are above it all.
How do we know that was even one of their bullets?…and not a bullet from someone else?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have no idea what happened with their bullet since I wasn't there, but I know bullets on rare occasions do things you would never expect.

Are you being purposely obtuse? Do you have any clue that saying a bullet- any bullet only penetrated 1/4” into muscle and stopped at 2,000fps, and there is zero soft tissue trauma surrounding the “wound”, is not “doing things you would never expect”- it’s complete and utter bullshit. It’s demonstrably absurd.

I don't care one way or the other what happened to them. I just find it funny reading all the RS "enlightened" posting screeds against this photographic evidence while posting the opposite screeds in the .223 thread whenever someone questions that photographic evidence. I guess I just enjoy watching displays of hypocrisy and lack of intellectual integrity, especially by those who come across as believing they are above it all.

The other side to this is apparently you can’t see the difference between dozens and dozens of people- (quite a few who initially argued against it) and hundreds of animals, who tried the 223/77gr TMK and found out that it does in tissue what properly done terminal ballistics testing shows it does and posted picture after picture showing exactly that.