"The Best Killer Elk Rifles from a Guide's Perspective"

nobody

WKR
Lefty Tikka is ~$100 more than a righty at the moment. I bought one for my kid a couple of weeks ago.
1694206714965.png

1694206807616.png

Lefty is about 3 bucks more. If you go to a place like Scheel's, they'll price match any in-stock online retailer. I always search for a better price when I'm shopping, most places will happily price match as long as it's a legitimate business and is in stock.

I always use gun.deals search site and just punch the MPN into the search bar and go from there. These are the lowest listed prices on each of these models on there right now, I just found these prices in about 2 minutes.

Marshfly

WKR
View attachment 599324

View attachment 599325

Lefty is about 3 bucks more. If you go to a place like Scheel's, they'll price match any in-stock online retailer. I always search for a better price when I'm shopping, most places will happily price match as long as it's a legitimate business and is in stock.

I always use gun.deals search site and just punch the MPN into the search bar and go from there. These are the lowest listed prices on each of these models on there right now, I just found these prices in about 2 minutes.
Guess I didn't know that. I bought local. I see $760 for the righty version. So there's still a tax.

nobody

WKR
Guess I didn't know that. I bought local. I see $760 for the righty version. So there's still a tax.
Where do you see the Lite Stainless for $760? That's a killer price, the lowest I'm seeing on gun.deals is the $799.99.

But yes, lefties do get taxed. Even if the gun price is the same, they tax you with availability. It's rare to ever see a left hand rifle anymore it seems. And when I do see one, there's usually only 1 on an entire gunstore gun rack.

Hopefully that site can help the sting a little maybe? I bet Bob Ward's would price match, along with Murdoch's. I've never shopped at either, but my in laws live up there and talk about both of those constantly and how great they are.

Marshfly

WKR
Where do you see the Lite Stainless for $760? That's a killer price, the lowest I'm seeing on gun.deals is the $799.99.

But yes, lefties do get taxed. Even if the gun price is the same, they tax you with availability. It's rare to ever see a left hand rifle anymore it seems. And when I do see one, there's usually only 1 on an entire gunstore gun rack.

Hopefully that site can help the sting a little maybe? I bet Bob Ward's would price match, along with Murdoch's.
That site said as low at that. I wasn't going though all the motions to get a price emailed to me and crap.

Marshfly

WKR
Honestly, that lefty sting is why I bought this particular rifle and I'm putting it together to be a forever gun for my kid if that's what he wants. Tikka 6.5 Creed with a Trijicon is about as good a lifetime rifle as it gets.

nobody

WKR
That site said as low at that. I wasn't going though all the motions to get a price emailed to me and crap.
Oh gotcha, you mean down below. Yeah they're out of stock, but I see where you're seeing that price now.

I always just watch the "live inventory search" at the top:

1694207655298.png

Hopefully that site can help the sting a little maybe? I bet Bob Ward's would price match, along with Murdoch's. I've never shopped at either, but my in laws live up there and talk about both of those constantly and how great they are.
I’m not sure if Murdoch’s price matches but I’ve never tried. I’ve bought a couple guns from them as they’re the only “big” store around me. The prices on what I’ve bought has been in line or lower than what little looking I did on the ones I bought

The caliber wars will either be won by a guy with a 37mm chalk round or a 20mm Lahti. Until then the bickering shall remain between the thresholds of .223 and .300winmag.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Honestly, that lefty sting is why I bought this particular rifle and I'm putting it together to be a forever gun for my kid if that's what he wants. Tikka 6.5 Creed with a Trijicon is about as good a lifetime rifle as it gets.
Absolutely.

Randy

Since when have American men become frightened by 30’06’s and 300’s or Lord forbid it, a 338 or a 375?

The biggest you shoot well is good sound advice for elk and moose.

I think dudes get kick shy because they spend too much time shooting from a bench, comparing one bullet against another thinking that a group a 16th of an inch smaller is somehow going to kill better, damned if the bullet is a cull weak design, be damned that there aren’t no benches out here in the bush, be damned that they seldom shoot offhand or from any field position with meaningful practice. Yes, in large animals, bigger is better.
Probably when more people started shooting their rifles more than once a year for 3 shots to "sight it in before hunting season". That and the smaller bullets started getting pretty close to the bigger ones in terms of ballistic coefficient. Turns out for extended shooting sessions, lighter recoiling cartridges are nicer.

Lighter recoil -> less abusive -> shoot more -> less likelihood to develop a flinch -> causes people to shoot better -> kill animals gooder

My hot take on it is that the vast majority of people shooting .338 remchesterby shitkicking magnums have flinches they either don't know about or wouldn't ever admit because their manhood is tied to letting their gun beat them like an Irish housewife. Most would benefit from going down a caliber or two. They'd flinch less and shoot more. Also helps that the smaller cartridges are much less expensive so you get more ammo for the same money, so you can shoot more with that as well.

just because you cant doesnt mean that i cant!
You could be one of the minority that's for sure. But I'd bet a lot of money that easily 90% or more of people shooting large magnums in the US have flinches and the recoil/noise/cost cause them to shoot a lot less which makes them worse shooters. Bigger is better only as long as your ability to shoot it doesn't drop off, and for most people it does.