"The Best Killer Elk Rifles from a Guide's Perspective"

KenLee

WKR
I would love for someone to please explain what this magical error that will happen that a big 30 or 338 somehow provides a better margin for over a 6 or 6.5.
Well I've seen a 150 gr NBT from a 300wsm put a 200 pound whitetail's stomach and intestines on the ground 2 ft past the point of impact from a broadside gut shot.
Wasn't very magical, but definitely an error.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
Shooting at any live animal with a .300wm I don't have a single recollection of bad felt recoil. On a bench 10-15+ rounds in, maybe. But I am not packing around 6lb scoped .300wm either.
Noise always bothers me more than recoil. "Dang a brake."
Haven't said it all week and had to get it in.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a .338, and one of the reasons I moved on from choosing a Tikka is that I appreciate a bit more weight (I shoot a Ruger Hawkeye, though my other is a 45-70 gg and that's a lot of oomph on a shorter barrel).

WCB

WKR
#1 the rifle that the bullet comes out of in reality has ZERO to do with the lethality of the projectile. There is no such thing as a deer, elk, sheep rifle etc. There is just a rifle.

#2 Caliber does not make up for poor shooting plain and simple.

#3 Why are we still using energy as the end all be all measuring stick? A solid 200gr bullet moving at 2800fps hits with the same energy as a thin jacket 200gr @ 2800fps. The bullets while both designed to kill are designed with completely different performance expectations. Bullet placement and construction/operating design are bigger considerations than a flat energy number.

#4 Tikka rifle aren't that great...fight me

#1 the rifle that the bullet comes out of in reality has ZERO to do with the lethality of the projectile. There is no such thing as a deer, elk, sheep rifle etc. There is just a rifle.

#2 Caliber does not make up for poor shooting plain and simple.

#3 Why are we still using energy as the end all be all measuring stick? A solid 200gr bullet moving at 2800fps hits with the same energy as a thin jacket 200gr @ 2800fps. The bullets while both designed to kill are designed with completely different performance expectations. Bullet placement and construction/operating design are bigger considerations than a flat energy number.

#4 Tikka rifle aren't that great...fight me
the tikka twerkies are gonna gang up on ya.

Reactions: WCB