The 6UM

INTJ

FNG
Tikka is a “custom action”

Better trigger
Feeds like butter
Short bolt throw
Cheap

Let me give the rest of the story. I won a Tikka T3 in 300 Win Mag at a banquet a year and a half ago. I never win anything, and had zero need for the rifle. My hunting rifles are built mostly on CRF M-70 actions, and my target guns are on BAT actions. That's not likely to change much, and I already have several 30 cals that cover the range of a 300 Winny.

So I put the rifle in the safe at work as a shop rifle. Ryan came by and went all googled-eyed over it. Asked me if I was going to do anything with it. I said no.

He wanted to trade me out of it, but wouldn't cut loose of his pre-64 M-70. I told him he could just have it. He said he couldn't do that. I then said well, we will trade it for a hunting trip. He said he was going to take me hunting anyway. I told him to just take the rifle and we'd figure out something later.

When I finally did get to go out with him it became obvious that my Western Oregon approach wasn't going to work. All my stuff was for still hunting--where you are frequently moving--in the rain at temps of 30-50 degrees. In N. Idaho you need cold weather gear for all the sitting and glassing you do, which means a bigger backpack to carry the cold weather clothes.

So he traded me a Kifaru 22 Mag for the Tikka. That pack is much better for N. Idaho than the Kifaru Spike Camp I have had for 20+ years.

So we argued the whole time about the relative merits of Tikkas. When I chambered the barrel I didn't notice anything weird. This is the only Tikka I have worked on, but it seemed fairly true.

Well, he got the brass fire formed but the sizing die hasn't come in yet. So Iet him use the die for my 300 SAUM IMP. This is a custom die for my LRBR heavy gun, but all we had to do was change the bushing and it worked well.

I think this cartridge's true calling is medium game, but after all, they used to kill mammoths with sharp sticks so there is no reason a well placed shot on a larger animal won't work, as Ryan has showed us.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Let me give the rest of the story. I won a Tikka T3 in 300 Win Mag at a banquet a year and a half ago. I never win anything, and had zero need for the rifle. My hunting rifles are built mostly on CRF M-70 actions, and my target guns are on BAT actions. That's not likely to change much, and I already have several 30 cals that cover the range of a 300 Winny.

So I put the rifle in the safe at work as a shop rifle. Ryan came by and went all googled-eyed over it. Asked me if I was going to do anything with it. I said no.

He wanted to trade me out of it, but wouldn't cut loose of his pre-64 M-70. I told him he could just have it. He said he couldn't do that. I then said well, we will trade it for a hunting trip. He said he was going to take me hunting anyway. I told him to just take the rifle and we'd figure out something later.

When I finally did get to go out with him it became obvious that my Western Oregon approach wasn't going to work. All my stuff was for still hunting--where you are frequently moving--in the rain at temps of 30-50 degrees. In N. Idaho you need cold weather gear for all the sitting and glassing you do, which means a bigger backpack to carry the cold weather clothes.

So he traded me a Kifaru 22 Mag for the Tikka. That pack is much better for N. Idaho than the Kifaru Spike Camp I have had for 20+ years.

So we argued the whole time about the relative merits of Tikkas. When I chambered the barrel I didn't notice anything weird. This is the only Tikka I have worked on, but it seemed fairly true.

Well, he got the brass fire formed but the sizing die hasn't come in yet. So Iet him use the die for my 300 SAUM IMP. This is a custom die for my LRBR heavy gun, but all we had to do was change the bushing and it worked well.

I think this cartridge's true calling is medium game, but after all, they used to kill mammoths with sharp sticks so there is no reason a well placed shot on a larger animal won't work, as Ryan has showed us.
Paul Harvey’s

“The rest of the story”

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Nice! Some guessing puts you about 1000 yards 1800 fps? How much more you looking to squeeze out?

I’m getting some 6mm envy.

I was in a rush to get the rifle together for last weeks hunt. Now I have some time to test some powders. I’m guess it will end up around 3350 FPS with the 115 Dtac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BjornF16

WKR
I was in a rush to get the rifle together for last weeks hunt. Now I have some time to test some powders. I’m guess it will end up around 3350 FPS with the 115 Dtac.

Y'all still thinking 2300 fps minimum for those 115 DTAC?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Y'all still thinking 2300 fps minimum for those 115 DTAC?
Sounds like when they start tumbling the minimum velocity can be pretty low. There are also different nose ring cuts to add to the confusion.

My uncles cow was shot with a lower impact velocity The bullet tumbled and the internal damage was impressive.

Form can explain this in detail.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
A small ten year old girl used the 6UM on a
Cow elk. The shot was 350 yards. The elk was broadside the shot was through the lower third of the lungs the exit was dramatic. The 6UMs biggest attribute might be the lack of recoil for a round with this much pop.

96732910deb5b050482d8e642ca80681.jpg

09f7a4914f10e987cd09f102997fda72.jpg

a7a3eebee79d094f28536be1bb2809e6.jpg

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR
A small ten year old girl used the 6UM on a
Cow elk. The shot was 350 yards. The elk was broadside the shot was through the lower third of the lungs the exit was dramatic. The 6UMs biggest attribute might be the lack of recoil for a round with this much pop.

96732910deb5b050482d8e642ca80681.jpg

09f7a4914f10e987cd09f102997fda72.jpg

a7a3eebee79d094f28536be1bb2809e6.jpg

Was that a DTAC kill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
Finally got some rounds loaded. Should have some speeds next weeks. I started with VV565 but I don’t think that will be “the powder”

The water capacity is 75g

6UM next to a 6CM

5816b4c3d384612497e7dbd600aac097.jpg

What is your COAL with that 115 DTAC?

Was it 2.900”?

Also, how do you like the MDT HNT26 vs KRG Bravo?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
What is your COAL with that 115 DTAC?

Was it 2.900”?

Also, how do you like the MDT HNT26 vs KRG Bravo?
Yes 2.9

I don’t love the HNT26 or the Bravo. My favorite stock is probably the Clymer… or the EH1

I wish this was based off the PRC brass. Relying on ADG saum brass is like relying on the Bengals to win the superbowl. I do also realize there is the prc primal also though.