The 6UM

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Would you consider this to be desirable performance, acceptable, or more of a fluke outcome? You've seen terminal performance from a decent number of these DTACs now, is this common or do they usually fragment?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

There are multiple versions of DTAC’s- Nosering and none. Then multiple different versions of Noserings. For the ones commonly available on the open market, this would be normal’ish performance- the bullet starts to yaw, the tip breaks off and it continues fully tumbling through the animal. They do not fragment massively. There are some Noserings that do generally fragment heavily above 2,300’ish FPS impact.

Desirable, acceptable, etc…. Eh. Bullets that consistently tumble, while different than what most have been taught is good or acceptable, does create very good wounds. This makes 16 in animals in the last year, 13 elk IIRC, and all have killed very well. I do like them in elk. Though certainly effective in deer, not my first choice there.

First Blood!

640 yards

3fd3dc58ce2f796fe119182f009b767a.jpg

77f48daf56264e565cf4d7c43297f9fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Impact velocity?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Impact velocity?
I will double check but I think 2300ish.

The bullet will go faster than I have it shooting now(3250) I was in a rush to kill a cow elk with it. When I get home I will start playing around with other powders.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I've got a Sako in 300 WSM, handcuffed by magazine length. Given the big game threads on .223, 6mm, 6.5mm, I don't really see the need for a .30 cal magnum anymore.

Got me thinking about converting it to 6UM...
I won’t tell ya no:)