The 6UM

JQuaglino

FNG
I'm interested in your dtac experience.
I've been using 109 eld-m and they haven't let me down but those dtacs look mean
If someone has built one I would love to chat with them. I haven’t found one yet searching the internet.
I have found lots of info on the 6mm SAUM but not an improved version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What makes it improved? I’m assuming bullet angle and if so what is the difference?

What makes it improved? I’m assuming bullet angle and if so what is the difference?

Generally "improved" means fireforming the brass to have more capacity than parent cartridge via 1 or more of the following:
  • Making case shoulder angle steeper
  • Blowing the shoulder further forward
  • Reducing the case body taper
More capacity = more powder = mo faster

Less body taper, steeper shoulders = Less case stretch

There are improved variants that push the shoulder back some too which makes the neck longer.

JQuaglino

FNG
Generally "improved" means fireforming the brass to have more capacity than parent cartridge via 1 or more of the following:
  • Making case shoulder angle steeper
  • Blowing the shoulder further forward
  • Reducing the case body taper
More capacity = more powder = mo faster

Less body taper, steeper shoulders = Less case stretch

There are improved variants that push the shoulder back some too which makes the neck longer.
Thanks. I was hoping to get the cartridge differences between the 6 um and a 6 SAUM.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
e2b2852f1ab8a45c588d591c3a949d17.jpg

She will fit in a short action.

JQuaglino

FNG
Do you think the right bullet for it exist currently? That’s a screamer with some serious propulsion behind it. Just thinking about. Seems a big gap between the a 105 to 115 bullet to the 147s and 156s that 6.5 saum and prc shoots.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Do you think the right bullet for it exist currently? That’s a screamer with some serious propulsion behind it. Just thinking about. Seems a big gap between the a 105 to 115 bullet to the 147s and 156s that 6.5 saum and prc shoots.
The right 120-grain bullet would be nice but more bullet more recoil.

JQuaglino

FNG
The right 120-grain bullet would be nice but more bullet more recoil.
Very true. Would a 120 class bullet cut the wind better or worse or would it be a zero sun game because it’s a higher weight longer bullet yet slower speed. Compared to 105 to 115 bullet respectively?

amassi

WKR
Very true. Would a 120 class bullet cut the wind better or worse or would it be a zero sun game because it’s a higher weight longer bullet yet slower speed. Compared to 105 to 115 bullet respectively?
Not a lot of fat to trim with the 108-118 class 6mm, at 5,000 ft they're 9 mph wind # and drop less than 5 mils at 1000 at the velocity Ryan's getting with the 6um.

JQuaglino

FNG
Finally got some rounds loaded. Should have some speeds next weeks. I started with VV565 but I don’t think that will be “the powder”

The water capacity is 75g

6UM next to a 6CM

5816b4c3d384612497e7dbd600aac097.jpg

What was the overall length on the bullet for the 6UM?