The 22 creedmoor thread

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Well, I think I may be joining this club soon. Bought a 6mm barrel to do a 6 creed on a tikka and found a 22-250 1/8 twist so figured I may as well punch the 22-250 out to 22 creed and have 2 barrels for the action. I am wanting to do an 18" tube, will the 1-8 twist still stabilize 88's at that short? I think @Formidilosus may have said 20-22. I am sure I could just drop down to the 80's or 77's but those 88's just seem sweet.

Yes they stabilize just fine.

Trackselk

WKR
Why not just keep it as a22/250, you won’t notice any difference in the field
Better feeding and bigger bullets for most folks are good reasons. Me, I want to drive a high BC mono (.47) fast enough to shed it's petals and hammer elk out to 500. 300 yard zero, 17.6" drop at 500. Flat enough that I also don't need to lug around a heavy dialing scope, as my 10 ounce leupolds work great. Point and shoot out to about 400, which I've never shot beyond at game anyhow...
No more 5 pound 308 Win recoil!

Better feeding and bigger bullets for most folks are good reasons. Me, I want to drive a high BC mono (.47) fast enough to shed it's petals and hammer elk out to 500. 300 yard zero, 17.6" drop at 500. Flat enough that I also don't need to lug around a heavy dialing scope, as my 10 ounce leupolds work great. Point and shoot out to about 400, which I've never shot beyond at game anyhow...
No more 5 pound 308 Win recoil!
The 22/250 feeds perfectly from the Tikka magazines and the two rounds have very similar ballistics
IMG_7140.jpeg
I have hunted this combo a lot, chital at 470 yards was easy with a 77 TMK

Trackselk

WKR
The 22/250 feeds perfectly from the Tikka magazines and the two rounds have very similar ballistics
View attachment 630802
I have hunted this combo a lot, chital at 470 yards was easy with a 77 TMK
Looks good for lead bullets, but I'm trying to make copper bullets nearly as deadly as the explosive lead pills. The only high bc copper bullets that exist need to be going really fast to shed their petals. It's that 'multiple wound channels' that I'm looking for when shooting elk with a small mono. Only have one so far, but hopefully my hunting buddy and I can get 2 more test subjects next year.

amassi

WKR
Looks good for lead bullets, but I'm trying to make copper bullets nearly as deadly as the explosive lead pills. The only high bc copper bullets that exist need to be going really fast to shed their petals. It's that 'multiple wound channels' that I'm looking for when shooting elk with a small mono. Only have one so far, but hopefully my hunting buddy and I can get 2 more test subjects next year.

Doesn’t exist
There isn’t a petal shedding copper that can be made to wound like a lead bullet. Those petals don’t make multiple wound channels, the petal “wounds” are laughably small and the caliber sized shank ain’t a good wounder either.
If lead is the issue, DRT, makes a 79 grain non lead core bullet that looks promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trackselk

WKR
Doesn’t exist
There isn’t a petal shedding copper that can be made to wound like a lead bullet. Those petals don’t make multiple wound channels, the petal “wounds” are laughably small and the caliber sized shank ain’t a good wounder either.
If lead is the issue, DRT, makes a 79 grain non lead core bullet that looks promising.

I probably shouldn't have said nearly, but maybe as good as the old Coreloct or similar. Plenty enough with both lungs being wrecked anyhow. Vastly more deadly than any broadhead, and there isn't a shoulder out there that's going to stop a mono going over 3k.
Thanks for the DRT lead! I always like a better mousetrap

Ok it seems like your parameters are a lot different than the post I quoted
I would go straight to either a 7mm08 or 280 of some description shooting 120 TTSXs

Trackselk

WKR
Ok it seems like your parameters are a lot different than the post I quoted
I would go straight to either a 7mm08 or 280 of some description shooting 120 TTSXs
Yeah, I went from 308 (ttsx) to 6.5cm (lrx) to this. It's not a recipe for every shot for sure. I passed on a 525 yard broadside shot on a bigger bull as it was just outside my parameters. With a dialing scope it would have been easy. Not a good setup for a less than seasoned elk hunter for sure...

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Shot this coyote at 150 yards, slight down hill angle. Hit her low blew out the guts and made a baseball sized hole at the bottom of the sternum. 18”bbl, 80gr eldm at 2900fps forming brass. Yote still managed to run 60 yards.
IMG_5128.jpeg

Last edited:

Tullis94

WKR
Can you help me interpret that scale? I’ve not seen colons used for weights. Is that supposed to be 2.765#? 2lb, 7.65 ounces?
That's what you get for a cheap Amazon scale! It is 2 pounds 7.65 ounces, basically a 2.5 pound barrel. Based on weights from the same contour barrel of different lengths you gain or lose about 2.2 ounces per inch.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
18”bbl 80gr eldm 2900fps, 260 yards slight down hill angle but when entering the deer the bullets path was actually angled up quite a bit. Bullet destroyed the lungs and stuck in the hide on the far side. Went through rib on both sides and the deer made it 60-70 yards before dropping.
IMG_5211.jpeg
IMG_5213.jpeg

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I ended up with another deer in my back yard with the 22 creed. Was a bit of a rodeo on my part. No doubt the damage this bullet causes is the reason why the deer was recovered. Lost a rear quarter.

I may just shoot the 77 tmk out of this thing. Not as efficient in the wind but man do I like what that bullet does. At 3k, it does the same as the 223 but more. I need to see more 88eldm wound channels and may try some 80eldx eventually. IMG_0232.jpeg

Last edited:
I ended up with another deer in my back yard with the 22 creed. Was a bit of a rodeo on my part. No doubt the damage this bullet causes is the reason why the deer was recovered. Lost a rear quarter.

I may just shoot the 77 tmk out of this thing. Not as efficient in the wind but man do I like what that bullet does. At 3k, it does the same as the 223 but more. I need to see more 88eldm wound channels and may try some 80eldx eventually. View attachment 632890

Impact velocity with the 88’s? What didn’t you like about wound channel?

Can’t remember if I posted earlier in this thread but killed 2 doe on a depredation hunt this spring at 475 with the 80 eldm and they did good as well.

I ended up using the 77 tmk this season. Was hoping to use the 88’s but it didn’t work out. Anyway, I wasn’t disappointed with them that’s for sure. 4 deer, 150, 180, 206 and 625. Watched them all go down.