The 22 creedmoor thread

amassi

WKR
Yes

I have. I have some H4831SC and would prefer to use a hogdon powder, but am pretty heavily stocked on N560 and N565 so I am definitely going to try them at least.

.120 freebore. I didn't research what I wanted a ton. Gunsmith just mentioned that was the one he had so I rolled with it. Seems to be about right

Your gtg with the .120, it’ll shoot up to 90 a-tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
My 20" 22 creed should be done in the next week or so. Tikka 22-250 rechambered. Out of the powders I have, what would everyone recommend for the 88's? Seems the mid burning powders are getting the best results. I have:

RL23 (only a few lbs left)
RL26
N560
N565
H4831SC
H4350 (too fast?)
Tikka 22 inch barrel I'm right at 3300 with 43.6 of RL23 75 ELDM . I bought 3 more lbs other day. Hope it does me for a while. No pressure signs though shoots real good

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Played around from 30 of Lands to 15 off. Bottom left corner was 30 top right was 25 was getting some mirage so could of been me being in a hurry. Gonna stick with 30 off. 75 eldm with 43.6 of RL23 running smooth so far avg right around 3300 only 75 rnds down barrel. Thinking about trying 6.5 or HD staball with 77 TMKs just cause of price an availability. I'll definitely be building a shorter lighter version for hunting. XLR chassis coming sometime.

Attachments

• 20231204_160838.jpg
    20231204_160838.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231204_133029.jpg
    20231204_133029.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Yes

I have. I have some H4831SC and would prefer to use a hogdon powder, but am pretty heavily stocked on N560 and N565 so I am definitely going to try them at least.

.120 freebore. I didn't research what I wanted a ton. Gunsmith just mentioned that was the one he had so I rolled with it. Seems to be about right
If I were building one for the 88s and 77tmk it would be 120. Mine at .100 is a hair short for both.

Played around from 30 of Lands to 15 off. Bottom left corner was 30 top right was 25 was getting some mirage so could of been me being in a hurry. Gonna stick with 30 off. 75 eldm with 43.6 of RL23 running smooth so far avg right around 3300 only 75 rnds down barrel. Thinking about trying 6.5 or HD staball with 77 TMKs just cause of price an availability. I'll definitely be building a shorter lighter version for hunting. XLR chassis coming sometime.

You're probably well aware but testing seating depth @ 0.005" intervals on a rifle that likely erodes 0.005" of throat in less than 100 rounds is probably pissin in the wind unless you're constantly adjusting your seating die to chase lands.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
You're probably well aware but testing seating depth @ 0.005" intervals on a rifle that likely erodes 0.005" of throat in less than 100 rounds is probably pissin in the wind unless you're constantly adjusting your seating die to chase lands.
No, that's why I come to these forums for help. First gun that I have ever reloaded for. Shot 3 rounds of each so 9 rounds that were seated further out than what I decided to go with. When I bought my 300 prc I stocked up on ammo while I waited for gun to be built then was getting hard to find. So I decided to start buying up all the components that I thought I would need to reload with. An with this cartridge I know you can buy ammo but nothing off the shelf so decide time to start reloading. I get advice where I can but I am doing it all to the best of my ability on my own. No one with me guiding me so any advice I will gladly recieve.

No, that's why I come to these forums for help. First gun that I have ever reloaded for. Shot 3 rounds of each so 9 rounds that were seated further out than what I decided to go with. When I bought my 300 prc I stocked up on ammo while I waited for gun to be built then was getting hard to find. So I decided to start buying up all the components that I thought I would need to reload with. An with this cartridge I know you can buy ammo but nothing off the shelf so decide time to start reloading. I get advice where I can but I am doing it all to the best of my ability on my own. No one with me guiding me so any advice I will gladly recieve.

Looks like it's shooting decent. It's a good cartridge to find "good enough" and not burn through components and barrel life looking for an extra tenth inch of accuracy. The barrel condition, and thus "tune" (if there is such a thing) changes rapidly with overbore cartridges. Finding a good enough load that isn't finicky and just going with it until it isn't good anymore is what i'd try to do.

Reading on throat erosion if you're so inclined. They rate 6 creed at 6-7 thou per 100 rounds. 22 at the same pressure/firing rate would obviously be higher.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I havnt done a seating depth test in years.

If the bullet dosnt shoot I change powder or bullet till it does what I want it to.

All the loading Iv done for this barrel, documented in this thread, has been to load to what I figure a relatively good velocity for the cartridge is, making sure I’m a safe distance from jamming, an appropriate amount off pressure signs and shooting on.

This barrel shoots beyond what I need for its purpose.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I know on my next barrel I’m going with .160 free bore. With 80gr eldms now I’m at 2.700 coal touching the lands with .100 freebore and the bullet is seated where it should be. The 88gr is shoved down in the case pretty far. Going to load some 77tmks today and they may be a better fit, the 80&88gr are pretty long compared to the 77tmk.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I know on my next barrel I’m going with .160 free bore. With 80gr eldms now I’m at 2.700 coal touching the lands with .100 freebore and the bullet is shoved down in the case pretty far. Going to load some 77tmks today and they may be a better fit for this freebore, the 80&88gr are pretty long compared to the 77tmk.
Base to ogive on the 77 is long, they have a lot of bearing surface.

Iv got more bullet in the case with the 77s than I do the 88s. Not that at matters cause they shoot awesome and honestly powder density and high case fill problems are not a thing in this cartridge with the powders I’m loading.

I would not choose a .160 freebore if my plans were to shoot 88eldm.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I do appreciate all the info. I know I'm not bumping powder charge up any. Primers looks good, brass looks good, bolt opens well after each shot. It's my coyote rig so I want it to shoot good but probably nothing past 350 or 400 with my thermal. I do want to building a regular 18 inch hunting rig maybe in another Tikka an go with 77 tmk. I went with RL23 cause seemed like the 4350 hit pressure sooner. I will say 43.6 gr case is pretty full.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I havnt done a seating depth test in years.

If the bullet dosnt shoot I change powder or bullet till it does what I want it to.

All the loading Iv done for this barrel, documented in this thread, has been to load to what I figure a relatively good velocity for the cartridge is, making sure I’m a safe distance from jamming, an appropriate amount off pressure signs and shooting on.

This barrel shoots beyond what I need for its purpose.
I bought two boxes of the Texas ammo to take any of my error out of the equation with 80 eldm their 2.630 oal an they shoot good. That's what my 75 eldm are set at an it seems to like that length.

SouthPaw

WKR
For whatever reason mine shoots the 88eld much better with H1000 than H4831sc. This cartridge is a ball of fun to shoot with the fantastic ballistics and ~7ft lbs of recoil.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Base to ogive on the 77 is long, they have a lot of bearing surface.

Iv got more bullet in the case with the 77s than I do the 88s. Not that at matters cause they shoot awesome and honestly powder density and high case fill problems are not a thing in this cartridge with the powders I’m loading.

I would not choose a .160 freebore if my plans were to shoot 88eldm.
True, it hasn’t been an issue so far with h1000. I can get 3050 with the 80s in Hornady brass out of an 18” Bbl so I’m happy with the performance. Also tried hybrid 100v but it was only a 50fps gain so I struck with h1000. I’m using an a non bushing fl die now to avoid doughnut issues. Although In peterson brass I can only run 2950 wish I would have known that before I bought 500pcs but oh well.
I sold my 6creed and still had 300 rounds of factory Hornady 108eldm ammo left so the other day I pulled some 108s necked them down to 22 then seated an 80gr eldm in its place. It was running them at 3100fps. Not sure what powder hornady used but the charges were 30-30.6 grs, so maybe varget burn rate.

Fire_9

WKR
This thread really has my wheels turning. I’ve got a rifle that is in need of a new barrel and I’m torn between the 22 and 6 creed. I’m sitting on a good stash of h1000 and 4831sc. Rifle will mainly be a hunting gun with maybe one steel match a year. Planning on running it at 16-17” to accommodate my ultra 7. For those of you that have shot both, which one would you choose?