The 22 creedmoor thread

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
77 tmk at 3k, on close range deer, too much! Will be sticking to the 223 when it gets back with the tmk for sub 350 deer hunts. Grape fruit sized entrance, obliterated the shoulder even though it was behind it. Bullet leftover was found in the offside hide. I didn’t need to cut the deer open to see the damage, could have stuck my phone in there the hole was so big.

Watching impact was nice. This deer ran 50 yards.

The below picture is with the shoulder still attached, just pulled off the hide, entrance side, Tmk upset fast!
IMG_0223.jpeg

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
The Texas Ammo 80 gr ELDM continues to shoot well for me - nice to have a solid back up when I don’t feel like loading. Here’s 2 back to back 4 shot groups at 100.

IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_4056.jpeg
Was also messing with the 95 SMK and H4350. I think I’m at a lower node at a tad over 2800 in my 22” barrel. I’ll keep going up in charge, but happy with the accuracy. 4 shots at 100.

IMG_4054.jpeg

Trackselk

WKR
Another 5 point, only this was the alternate recipe to the 223 tmk, a 70 grain bulldozer II @ 3557 muzzle V. 350 yards, was up on a cliff shooting downwards at a 45 ish degree angle. Elk was bedded, went through him effortlessly and almost blew his foot off/exploded his ankle. He moved slowly about 80 yards like he had no air, and a second one through the lungs put him down in another slow moving 20 yards.
The bulldozer shed its petals at this high speed really wrecking the lungs. Minimal meat damage and easy to spot the impacts, what a great combo.
Shot a decent size muley buck that went under 100 yards as well.
Any other mono bullet reports?
.47 bc and multiple wound channels, I'm impressed so far with these bullets (at high speeds anyhow). I wouldn't try elk with this caliber and a non fragmenting recipe...
-also, I'm impressed with one of the entry holes where it hit a rib. It exploded a 3"+ section of rib, which my slower .308 monos never caused that kind of destruction. Similar wound channel to 308 Win.
IMG_20231119_125140.jpg

Last edited:
Ok - so I have posted a couple times - going back and forth on what type 22 creedmoor setup I want to put together. Yesterday was looking at a full build with a custom action vs a Tikka rechamber.

However, got a quote today for a 1/8" 22-250 Tikka Stainless for $150 less than the rifle at sportsmans and that includes free shipping. Karl at Kampfeld Customs is $230 to set the barrel back (so factory stamp hides under the stock line) rechamber for 22 creed, and engrave it on the barrel. Basically for $950ish - could have a brand new tikka 22 creedmoor.

Should I just pull the trigger on this and call it a day????
Why not just keep it as a22/250, you won’t notice any difference in the field

sndmn11

WKR
I'm on page 10...
Do I want alpha or peterson brass?

I have a 1:7 barrel ordered and was going to do another 22br, but the other thread about magazines made me realize that won't feed in my LA fixed mag vanguard. So creedmoor it is.

I'm on page 10...

I have a 1:7 barrel ordered and was going to do another 22br, but the other thread about magazines made me realize that won't feed in my LA fixed mag vanguard. So creedmoor it is.

I’ve been using Alpha. Have 12 firings on one batch of 100. Seems like i can go many more as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm on page 10...

Both are similar but I’d go LRP if you can. I’d get whatever is cheaper.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
That was my thought, but I do have oodles of the no41 primers in hand. I'm a day into research/reading; the alpha small brass has big flash holes?
Yea, but I still had a couple hang fires in the cold. I got some of each, I keep the LRP for hunting and the SRP stuff for prairie dogs.

LRP seem to handle pressure better as well, I’m assuming from the thicker cup.

sndmn11

WKR
Yea, but I still had a couple hang fires in the cold. I got some of each, I keep the LRP for hunting and the SRP stuff for prairie dogs.

LRP seem to handle pressure better as well, I’m assuming from the thicker cup.

In srp did you try the 450 "magnum". The only reason I'm trying to talk myself into small is because large are still hard to find reasonably.

75%+ menu of targets.

In srp did you try the 450 "magnum". The only reason I'm trying to talk myself into small is because large are still hard to find reasonably.

75%+ menu of targets.

The alpha I’ve got is the srp. I use the 450’s. In single digit temps I had maybe 3 hangfires but only with H4350. Not with any other powders I was trying. I think I tried 5 or 6 other powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR

75%+ menu of targets.
Yea only used 450s. I was the same, but large have been around lately if you keep an eye out.

I tested it quite a bit when I first got the rifle, as I have shot a lot of srp creedmoor brass without issue. Honestly it may be powder dependent as well. The 22 creed specifically with h4350 is not the most dense load. I did not try the smalls in the cold with h4831sc, maybe this winter I will.

I did notice less cratering on the primers with the large as well, they just seem to handle pressure better.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
@sndmn11 another thing to keep in mind with a factory action is the firing pin size and if it works well with srp primers, many loose fitting factory actions will crater every srp no matter what.

@Lawnboi @Jake Leibke

I try to load everything in the Staball powders, so I have a lot of 6.5, and some HD and Match. I'll have to look into how ball powders respond to primers. Thanks

Ball powders are more prone to hang fires than extruded powder. I believe i've read double base is more prone than single based powders as well.

ID_Matt

WKR
Well, I think I may be joining this club soon. Bought a 6mm barrel to do a 6 creed on a tikka and found a 22-250 1/8 twist so figured I may as well punch the 22-250 out to 22 creed and have 2 barrels for the action. I am wanting to do an 18" tube, will the 1-8 twist still stabilize 88's at that short? I think @Formidilosus may have said 20-22. I am sure I could just drop down to the 80's or 77's but those 88's just seem sweet.