Texas Gun Proposals

svivian

WKR
Anyone looked up the statistics of DUI fatalities by 16-20 year olds? Far more deaths from that than shootings but I don't see anyone locking up liquor cabinets and changing the legal age to drive.....

How about heart disease? 600,000 deaths a year. Lets lock up those Mcdonalds by golly that will fix it.

Rob5589

WKR
Not even slightly entertaining stricter gun laws to make it harder for incompetent people to get guns is the result of incompetent extreme gun rights activists. I'm may be one of the only ones on here who thinks It should be harder for everyone to get a gun. Doesn't mean you cant get one. But look at silencers. You can get them, but it takes some work. Guns should be that way in my opinion. Those who are gun crazy already have what they want so stricter gun laws to make purchases harder doesn't impact them I would guess. The whole ‘responsible gun owner’ argument seems hypocritical if you aren't for responsible gun laws.

Not saying I'm right, but the brainwashing of both sides is full very illogical arguments. I'm not saying ban guns outright, but why you need an AR-15 and large capacity magazine I’ll never understand. No argument has convinced me otherwise other than it’s like fireworks - they are just fun as hell.

Rip this apart, I don't vote cause the whole game is rigged. So you have nothing to fear from me other than the angst this post may stir in you. My concern is hunters lose less support when we dismiss every gun law as too far even if it would actually be better for everyone as a whole. there has to be a balance and right now its the wild west. Which I get some like, and some don't.
California is about as strict and difficult as it gets. Yet CA has the most mass shootings, including one a couple weeks ago, by a 72 year old guy. Supposedly the shooter had an "assault pistol," whatever that means. Could have a forward grip, mag outside of grip, etc, depending on CA law, I haven't seen said weapon. Yet is was illegal to own here, according to law enforcement reports.

10 day wait on all firearms, one handgun purchase per 30 days, ammo background checks, a limited (and dwindling) handgun roster, heavy semi auto restrictions, 10 round mag limit, no SBR/SBS, no suppressors, strict CCW rules depending on county, ammo purchase limits, no private ammo sales, all gun transactions have to go through a FFL, red flag laws, and maybe some I missed. So do these laws work or not?

The info posted above in regards to school shootings show that 14-17 year olds commit the most. How would stricter laws stop those that already cannot buy a firearm?

The argument "nobody needs an AR or high capacity magazines" can be molded to fit nearly anything. Why does anyone need more than one gun; or need more than 50 rounds of ammo; or needs a semi auto anything; or needs a cartridge capable of 500+ yard kill shots; etc?

How long did places like Chicago have a complete handgun ban, yet the city would have 30+ shootings every weekend. And still does.

And please stop introducing hunters into the argument. The 2A has nothing to do with hunting.

The problem is today's society and the lack of empathy and the basic disregard for human life. Where were all these shootings/crimes 3, 4, 5, decades ago? I understand we aren't all living in Mayberry any longer. But why? What changed in people that has made them so vile and reprehensible toward one another? Where have we as a society gone so wrong?

Rob5589

WKR
Anyone looked up the statistics of DUI fatalities by 16-20 year olds? Far more deaths from that than shootings but I don't see anyone locking up liquor cabinets and changing the legal age to drive.....

How about heart disease? 600,000 deaths a year. Lets lock up those Mcdonalds by golly that will fix it.
From the almighty CDC;

Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following: More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke) 278,544 deaths annually among men (including deaths from secondhand smoke) 201,773 deaths annually among women (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
Exposure to secondhand smoke causes an estimated 41,000 deaths each year among adults in the United States: Secondhand smoke causes 7,333 annual deaths from lung cancer. Secondhand smoke causes 33,951 annual deaths from heart disease.

Ever hear any chatter in the gov't about banning tobacco products?

You guys are wasting time typing about guns, mental health, ages, and stuff. We need to be worried about public lands!!!! They are never going to try and take away guns. Lets quit wasting time debating these anti gun bills and focus on public lands that aren't going anywhere!!! :)

Flyjunky

WKR
From the almighty CDC;

Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following: More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke) 278,544 deaths annually among men (including deaths from secondhand smoke) 201,773 deaths annually among women (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
Exposure to secondhand smoke causes an estimated 41,000 deaths each year among adults in the United States: Secondhand smoke causes 7,333 annual deaths from lung cancer. Secondhand smoke causes 33,951 annual deaths from heart disease.

Ever hear any chatter in the gov't about banning tobacco products?
What about fentanyl coming across our southern boarder? It’s the #1 killer of people 18-45 yet the current govt has a wide open border policy. Why aren’t more people screaming about these deaths?

Until we address the motivation the tool used is irrelevant, there’s always other tools.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
What about fentanyl coming across our southern boarder? It’s the #1 killer of people 18-45 yet the current govt has a wide open border policy. Why aren’t more people screaming about these deaths?

Until we address the motivation the tool used is irrelevant, there’s always other tools.
It's a significant problem. We Narcan people just about every day from fent OD's. It's such an issue that we had out Narcan to anyone that wants it. I also read it's about to be approved for OTC.

Gila

WKR
I thought only the US Senate could levy a tax on federal matters, which firearm ownership is.
Actually it is all going down to the state constitution. California has the strictest gun laws because their state constitution doesn’t grant the right to own guns. New Mexico on the other hand has some of the strongest language in the state constitution granting gun rights:

STATE CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION - Article II, Section 6.

“No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms.”

Actually it is all going down to the state constitution. California has the strictest gun laws because their state constitution doesn’t grant the right to own guns. New Mexico on the other hand has some of the strongest language in the state constitution granting gun rights:

STATE CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION - Article II, Section 6.

“No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms.”

Doesn't matter if CA's Constitution doesn't grant the right, the US Constitution does and CA is subservient to that document.

Rob5589

WKR
Doesn't matter if CA's Constitution doesn't grant the right, the US Constitution does and CA is subservient to that document.
Until we can get a favorable ruling from SCOTUS, CA will continue to run roughshod over our "rights." I will say, however, that the New York ruling re concealed carry has "loosened" many of the county sheriffs issuance.

Probably less to be honest. And I don't think you want to compare licensing for airplanes with gun ownership.
you dont need a license or back ground check to buy a plane, you dont need a license or background to purchase online or CD flight instruction.

its not even hard to steal a plane.

while “illegal” to fly a private plane with out a or an up to date license”s” and up to date medical it happens daily on both controlled and uncontrolled fields.

And no it would of been substantially more injured and dead. Point is you cant regulate crazy in a semi free society with a Constitution built on individual rights and freedoms from oppressive governments

Until we can get a favorable ruling from SCOTUS, CA will continue to run roughshod over our "rights." I will say, however, that the New York ruling re concealed carry has "loosened" many of the county sheriffs issuance.
how NY stood as long as it did is unbelievable it was historically put into place to protect essentially Mob rule.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The left doesn't care about deaths, if they did then logically they would be addressing all deaths, not the "very few" that happen every year from AR-15's. And they certainly don't care about violence, unless it's those pesky maga republicans or law enforcement attempting to apprehend real criminals. Then they're all over it. They've proven that over and over the past few years. No, it's all about disarming a society that quite frankly they're afraid of.......and they should be. That's the way our Republic was set up, that the government would fear the people, not the other way around.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Try convincing the families of the 21 Uvalde victims that your statement is true.
Yeah I could easily convince the Uvalde families to vote for bringing back hanging, firing squad, draw and quarter (that’s where you get your limbs ripped off your torso). Which would DEFINITELY reduce school shootings.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
??? o_ONo clue what you're talking about or how it's relevant to raising the legal age to purchase firearms.
WOAH your head is really spinning do you need something to hold on to?

You said you’re “all for raising the minimum age to 21” So I responded with something about age. Are you starting to see a possible connection? I’m not interested in helping you out of your dumbfounded bafflement but:

The issue here is accountability. Not age, not even maturity. There’s plenty of teens who are trustworthy with and deserving of a firearm. The Uvalde shooter was NOT. The minimum age was clearly not the problem. If he was 21 when he got his gun he probably would have killed even more people.

Read the quote below. Clearly Ramos should have been removed from society Way before the shooting. That’s accountability. We as hunters can certainly agree that behavior like torturing animals is an instant 3 strikes you’re out.

“Ramos did not have a criminal record or any documented mental health issues,[53] but had previously posted violent threats online.[126]School officials at Uvalde High School withdrew him from the school on October 28, 2021 due to his frequent absences.[127]

Ramos' social media acquaintances said he openly abused and killed animals such as cats and would livestream the abuse on Yubo.[128] Other social media acquaintances said that he would also livestream himself on Yubo threatening to kidnap and rape girls who used the app, as well as threatening to commit a school shooting

OP
O
These gun debates are as much, if not more a political battle than a gun rights or mass-shooting issue. Our country's majority is democratic, and they know their base leans more towards gun restrictions. I'm not saying they do not care about stopping mass shootings, but their motivation is to get elected/re-elected by using these gun laws to do so.

As I become older and crotchetier; it becomes clear to me that there are so many problems with our government, society, media, mental health, that I do not see it getting better. Only worse over time. This is why I spend less time being around people/civilization and more time out in the wilderness as much as I can.

Ark6

FNG
Weirdly the country leans right on most individual issues, but the cities tend more left and the perception, pushed by some, is of a far more lefty country than actually exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk