Texas Gun Proposals

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why is 21 the magic number? And not trying to be a dick. Everyone says "21" is it. Why?
Good question. Most studies show that adolescent's brains don't become fully developed until they're around 27 or 28, but society these days would have you believe that even elementary kids are mature enough to decide what gender they are. (Big time eye roll.......)

Why is 21 the magic number? And not trying to be a dick. Everyone says "21" is it. Why?
I don't know if you've spent much time around adolescents, but there's a big difference in maturity, empathy towards others, ability to make rational decisions, accountability, etc. as teenagers grow into young adults.

Maybe it needs to be a couple years higher than 21. But, I don’t think anyone can dispute that a 21-year-old is more of an adult than an 18-year-old.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember when the drinking age was 19 in Wyoming, but 18 in Montana; we'd load a truck or two up from Powell (WY) and head to the megapolis of Belfry (MT)- those were the days! :ROFLMAO:

z987k

WKR
I don't think any of those measures will pass with the exception of some high tax on assault weapons. Texas resident here, I'm all for raising the age to buy to 21. And I don't want to hear the "if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to buy a gun argument." You can't legally buy booze till 21 and nobody has a problem with that.
I have a problem with that. So do a lot of people.
You're either an adult or you're not. Full rights and privileges with all the responsibility or none of the responsibility.
I would tie drinking age, firearm age, military service age, voting age and anything else age restricted to the same age. We can discus what age that should be, but there's no way it's consistent or right for them to be different.

Most data says around 24 should be the age. Looking back at my life, I'd agree that somewhere around 24 or 25 is when I finally started to think rationally. I'm all for rising the age of voting, firearm purchase, drinking, tobacco, etc somewhere around the age of 24.

edit: I see others said data points to around 27-28. So maybe this "data" is inconsistent on the age, but it's certainly consistent that the age is higher than 21.

gabenzeke

WKR
I have a problem with that. So do a lot of people.
You're either an adult or you're not. Full rights and privileges with all the responsibility or none of the responsibility.
I would tie drinking age, firearm age, military service age, voting age and anything else age restricted to the same age. We can discus what age that should be, but there's no way it's consistent or right for them to be different.
Nailed it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I don't know if you've spent much time around adolescents, but there's a big difference in maturity, empathy towards others, ability to make rational decisions, accountability, etc. as teenagers grow into young adults.

Maybe it needs to be a couple years higher than 21. But, I don’t think anyone can dispute that a 21-year-old is more of an adult than an 18-year-old.
Plenty, I have 5 kids. Plus I work with the public as a career. I can say I haven't witnessed a significant enough difference in maturity between 18 and 21 to say that a 21 year old is more trust worthy than an 18 year old. Of course I've seen plenty of 30 year olds I wouldn't trust with a rubber band gun.

I find it ironic that 21 is the "magic" age to buy liquor, marijuana, tobacco, and guns, in some states.

Pretty easily if you don’t take a myopic, inflammatory view of things. What are you trying accomplish with this statement?

Use that big brain of yours that comes up with those big words and read my post carefully using deductive reeasoning. If a troubled and demented teenager wasn’t legally allowed to buy an AR at 18, he would not have been able to kill all of those innocent children. Explain to me why a teenager should have an AR.

I'll field this one as I've done some looking into it. If you look at mass shootings and particularly school shootings ages generally run from 15 to 19ish. There are some 21 year olds mixed in but the trend heads down after 18. . . So some data supports this. But the counter to that is all those under 18 who are getting firearms from someone else! 21 isn't a magic number, it is merely another age out there used for things like drinking, Mary Jane, etc. So it's convenient to use!

Table is age of school shooter for school shootings from 1970 to June 2020.
Screenshot_20230125-203652.png

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Use that big brain of yours that comes up with those big words and read my post carefully using deductive reeasoning. If a troubled and demented teenager wasn’t legally allowed to buy an AR at 18, he would not have been able to kill all of those innocent children. Explain to me why a teenager should have an AR.

oh come on man.
This is a circular arguement. Easy to make this arguement after the fact.
Is this really the best you got?
come on you can do better.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
@Reburn- Jesus Christ...after the fact?? Enlighten me. Why should a teenager have an AR?

Also, it's "argument".

Let’s try to not take the Lord’s name in vain. That’s not cool. Might not be yours but to many here, he is.

I'm not the one defending a circular ARGUMENT (Thanks for the spell check BTW. Appreciate the assist homie!!!)

My response is simple. If he is legal age it is his right to do so.

making the statement that, if he couldn’t buy it the shooting wouldn’t have happened, is circular. You are taking facts, after the fact trying to rationalize that your right.

Example of a circular argument.
I say, If you wouldn’t have been allowed to post here, I wouldn’t be arguing with someone that doesn't get it on the internet.

Prove me wrong. Please take your time.
@GringoBling

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I'll field this one as I've done some looking into it. If you look at mass shootings and particularly school shootings ages generally run from 15 to 19ish. There are some 21 year olds mixed in but the trend heads down after 18. . . So some data supports this. But the counter to that is all those under 18 who are getting firearms from someone else! 21 isn't a magic number, it is merely another age out there used for things like drinking, Mary Jane, etc. So it's convenient to use!

Table is age of school shooter for school shootings from 1970 to June 2020.
View attachment 506913
Thanks. So what it really shows is that kids that are unable to purchase any firearm are the ones doing most of these shootings. It makes sense that the focus should be on the access/availability to firearms not necessarily the purchase. Moreso, school aged kids, which should also be a focus.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please don’t insult others. Also there is the black market and stealing.

Aren't you more likely to have 18 year and under doing the shooting since they are the ones in school?

I don't know what the age should be, depends a lot more on the upbringing, not some magic number.

So I propose no sex til 25. That would make parents almost 26, maybe they can do a little better by then??

Stupid people reproduce too quickly.