Texas Gun Proposals

This caught my attention while reading a Meateater article (like them or not, they are useful in countrywide updates on hunting/fishing/firearms related issues).

Texas: The Kitchen Sink​

Texas will consider a raft of gun-related bills this session in the wake of the mass murder in Uvalde last year. These include bills to raise the age of firearm sales to 21, ban most private gun sales, ban “assault weapons,” impose a three-day waiting period, and tax “assault weapons” by 1000%.

I wonder if these will go anywhere, especially in Texas? I live in Oregon and unfortunately these would all pass if brought to the table.

Those who hunt/fish/own firearms, we live in very tumultuous times!

I don't think any of those measures will pass with the exception of some high tax on assault weapons. Texas resident here, I'm all for raising the age to buy to 21. And I don't want to hear the "if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to buy a gun argument." You can't legally buy booze till 21 and nobody has a problem with that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm all for raising the age to buy to 21. And I don't want to hear the "if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to buy a gun argument." You can't legally buy booze till 21 and nobody has a problem with that.
I could get onboard with the 21 thing........just as long the legal voting age is raised to 21 as well. If they aren't mentally competent enough to buy guns at under 21, then they certainly aren't competent enough to vote. They can do much more damage to the nation by voting than buying guns.

OP
O
I could get onboard with the 21 thing........just as long the legal voting age is raised to 21 as well. If they aren't mentally competent enough to buy guns at under 21, then they certainly aren't competent enough to vote. They can do much more damage to the nation by voting than buying guns.
Don't see that happening. Actually, here in Oregon they've been trying to lower the voting age to 16. They know that the younger generation tends to lean left...

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think any of those measures will pass with the exception of some high tax on assault weapons. Texas resident here, I'm all for raising the age to buy to 21. And I don't want to hear the "if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to buy a gun argument." You can't legally buy booze till 21 and nobody has a problem with that.
Then you’ve forgotten that kids used to start working at 12 and 5 year old kids used to fly on airplanes themselves

I couldn't agree with you more !!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Try convincing the families of the 21 Uvalde victims that your statement is true.
We don't need to convince 21 families.......we need to convince 330 million people nation wide. But on the other hand, logic and reason should convince them all very easily.......but we know that won't happen because over half the nation thinks with emotions.

When incompetent people (mentally or otherwise) get a hold of a firearm, they kill a few people and those families suffer. When incompetent voters vote........they ruin a nation and everyone suffers.

Rob5589

WKR
Why is 21 the magic number? And not trying to be a dick. Everyone says "21" is it. Why?