Tent color

Is tent color choice more important than just personal preference? After all, companies like Kifaru and Seek Outside usually make tan or olive-green colored shelters. I also see a lot of yellow mids. Gray is pretty common as well.

Does the color of a tent make any practical difference? Are some colors hotter than others in the summer sun? Does it really matter if my hunting tent is tan or green instead of bright red or yellow? Will a green tent be darker on the inside than a coyote brown one?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

colonel00

WKR
I have read where some say certain colors like yellow I believe are better for your psyche and will keep your spirits up if socked in for long periods due to weather.

The main reason I don't like bright coloured tents is that they attract bugs. Set a yellow pale and a neutral coloured pale side by side. It won't take long and your yellow pale will be covered in sand flys while the neutral coloured pale will have very few.

Some companies make green and tan gear to try to get crossover sales to the military. I have always like muted colors in tents but there are arguments to that suggest gear like this ought to be conspicuously colored to aid in finding camp from a distance and rescue if it becomes an issue. The three tents I own are light blue, yellow and olive green so it is not a strong preference. Lighter colors will be brighter for seeing during light hours. Darker blocks more light for shade but is supposed to absorb more heat as well.

Bright ones are easier to see. Muted ones are harder to see.

Some folks think bright is cool, other think muted is cool. I end up with the color that gave me the best bang for my buck, and then I convince myself the color is the coolest.

I dont like bright tents because bears are curious animals. Honestly as ignorant as that sounds I read something about that and I hunt in griz country so I dont mind blending in. I could picture mr griz traveling from the next basin just to see what that bright yellow thing is.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bright tents attract more bugs. I took a yellow and brown tent high in the Grenadiers a few years ago. Bugs were all over the yellow sections. Some bright colors degrade in UV faster. As far as how it makes me feel , I'm not in a tent much during the daylight usually so it doesn't matter much at night. I personally don't like the feel of bright colors if I am in a tent during the day.

n2horns

WKR
I guess color doesn't matter, Kuiu is making bright orange on the big sky products tents, so it must be good. Well buy/look at real tent makers they have different colors, Hilleberg. I buy muted colors so I blend in from others want to see what nice things I have left at camp.

JP100

WKR
I have allways liked my tents to bright, yellow/orange or the like. these are a huge help if you are in a white out or an emergency situation. I can tell you most search and rescue guys will prefer bright tents, can save your ass if shit hits the fan. that being said alot of manufacturers make gray/brown/green tents so you dont always have the choice.
unless your poaching you shouldnt have to hide your campsite.

reaper

WKR
I have the mentality of ''leaving no traces'' so i prefer a camo shelter or neutral like redwood brown,tan,od green color,i like to ''morph'' in the wood.Of course its a bugs thing too,bright color will attract them.

I like to be able to find my camp(gps and terrain following help with that) but don't really care to have everyone else finding it. Thus, I prefer natural colors.

I have allways liked my tents to bright, yellow/orange or the like. these are a huge help if you are in a white out or an emergency situation. I can tell you most search and rescue guys will prefer bright tents, can save your ass if shit hits the fan. that being said alot of manufacturers make gray/brown/green tents so you dont always have the choice.
unless your poaching you shouldnt have to hide your campsite.

Or if you've had stuff stolen from camp in the past and dread the thought of returning from your hunt to find all of your gear missing! This is why I prefer the coyotes, tans and greens.

MattB

WKR
I like natural colors to hide my camp from other people. Even when I am not poaching...

Broomd

WKR
I've had both...I like the muted colors just to keep my gear and (legal) presence on the down-low.
But after a recent sheep hunt I really appreciated being able to see my red tent across a two mile valley.
Being able to just see that abode made all the difference in being able to conjure the strength to get there when exhaustion had us all but done for.

The green tent was invisible--the red, obvious. I like knowing where my camp is when conditions allow for it.
DSCN4684.jpg

DSCN4682.jpg

charvey9

WKR
Color also adds weight. Anything but the base color requires dyeing, which adds to the weight of the fabric. Although minimal, it makes a little difference. If given the option, I go with the lighter option. As an example, grey Silnylon is lighter than the brown.

chindits

WKR
Ditto to all those who don't want others finding my camp. I know the terrain I hunt and can identify a specific area day or night. Within that area I find a natural line of drift or landmark to direct me to my camp no matter the visibility.

Broomd

WKR
I consider myself an ultralight purist, but I can't imagine that we are talking more than a few grams for actual color.

Now flame retardant? It is worth noting and it can be heavy; and it is NOT on my tents. It is why RAB had to market the Summit Mountain Bivi (with eVEnt) as such: 'bivys" rather than tents due to no recommended cooking or heating inside...
Two man, three pounds+ and completely bombproof.