KUIU vs SKRE customer service

Just felt a need to make a thread here about this after shopping with both companies and dealing with their customer service.

Skre (10/10) - customer service is excellent. Free shipping on exchanges until you're satisfied with the fit and color, and the process is super easy considering they include a sticky backed return label with each order, and I've taken advantage of this multiple times. The customer service is also very responsive to calls and emails and they quickly assist and resolve issues. Not to mention they have a lifetime guarantee on their gear (which I haven't had to use yet).

KUIU (5/10) - customer service is not great, more like barely acceptable. They make good gear but for being an online only marketplace their customer service doesn't match the needs of that kind of business model, and I'll hesitate to shop with them in the future because of this.

The colors as they appear online are not accurate to how they look in real life, I've gotten two items where the color was not what I was expecting (Bourbon looked more or less brown online, and looks more or less olive green in real life. Ash looks more or less grey online, and looks more or less olive green in real life). If you want to change the color or size you have to pay $7.50 return shipping.

Rather than an easy exchange you have to purchase the replacement item outright. They offer free shipping on your replacement order and will match the original items price if you got it on sale but if feels like having to jump through hoops to make this happen (ie. rather than being automatically applied at checkout you have to make a phone call to a customer service person to make these requests for exchanges, and they might not sound happy to be helping you with this)

I used a gift card as part of the payment towards an item that didn't fit. I ordered a replacement in a different size and had to make a new payment. Once they received the returned item they refunded me the original amount but only part to my card and the rest in the form of the gift card I used. I called saying the gift card was to be spent and I wanted the payment returned to my card. They said the manager couldn't approve this. I explained that I purchased the item in the first place because I had the gift card to spend. I told them if they wouldn't retain the gift card payment toward the exchanged item I would explain the situation to Paypal to see if they could restore my funds. Then the customer service rep immediately said they could refund the charge to my card rather than refunding me in the form of the giftcard.

It shouldn't have been this difficult, and I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth after having to deal with the haggling and hassling. Kuiu makes good gear but if you don't have advanced knowledge of the fit, color or if the gear will meet your needs then proceed with caution.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
I concur with this 100%. Kuiu's customer service is subpar to say the least.

SKRE is top notch on that end - no questions asked and a return label is included. Scan a QR code and it take you to the return spot. Fill it out quick return or exchange and boom.

Kuiu is nicer gear generally though.

Bump79

WKR
Kuiu CS has been great in my experience.
How so? Did they give you free returns for inconsistent or inaccurate sizing? Did they give you free returns for QC issues on products?

I've had both. Had a vest start to come apart after easy 1 wear. Reached out and they charged me to replace their faulty product.

HUNTMO-06

FNG
How so? Did they give you free returns for inconsistent or inaccurate sizing? Did they give you free returns for QC issues on products?

I've had both. Had a vest start to come apart after easy 1 wear. Reached out and they charged me to replace their faulty product.
I had the waist button on Kuiu guide pants separate after easy use. They tried to charge me to repair it. Only after raising hell, they sent me a prepaid label.

Bump79

WKR
I had the waist button on Kuiu guide pants separate after easy use. They tried to charge me to repair it. Only after raising hell, they sent me a prepaid label.
Yeah that's been my experience. I just think we should all be giving them hell more about it.

I like Kuiu’s attack and kutana pants and the 120/145 merino. For me at least, easily the best in each category. But I agree that they need to do work on their pictures/colors and sizing. I’ve ordered multiple items in the same size (different colors) that were at least an actual size difference from each other. Their sizing is wildly inconsistent, more so than the way the colors look in pictures vs in hand.

Paying return shipping for things like that is a bad look given the premium you pay for their clothing.

Bump79

WKR
I like Kuiu’s attack and kutana pants and the 120/145 merino. For me at least, easily the best in each category. But I agree that they need to do work on their pictures/colors and sizing. I’ve ordered multiple items in the same size (different colors) that were at least an actual size difference from each other. Their sizing is wildly inconsistent, more so than the way the colors look in pictures vs in hand.

Paying return shipping for things like that is a bad look given the premium you pay for their clothing.
I agree, I love their stuff. Just wish they were reasonable with the premiums on returns/exchanges. Especially for repeat customers. Like they can look at my order history... lol you'd think they'd want to keep guys like us happy.

11boo

WKR
I’ve not had to return any clothing items. Pack parts, they just sent me a new belt after seeing a pic of the old one.

So their customer service is at fault because the color was slightly different on your screen than in your hand?

And they refunded to the payment method you chose?

Boohoo

They also make it known that shipping a return is on you. It's not like it's a hidden fee. Though, like everyone else, I would appreciate a free prepaid return.

Maybe I'm just lucky but it's been pretty easy whenever I have contacted them.

My only customer service issue with KUIU was resolved quickly and very much to my satisfaction. Broke a stay on one of their first gen packs. I shipped them the broken pack (at my expense) and was given a completely new and much upgraded one in its stead. Well worth the few $$$ to send back.

I do agree that sometimes the colors don't exactly match, but have always attributed that to monitor settings. That said it is hunting clothing. I don't really worry much about it. FWIW I just looked at my Ridgepoint hoodie and Ash is really much more OD green when looking at it but when I hold it up to the screen it's pretty close. Also, it's a pretty damn awesome hoodie but for almost $200 it had better be.

Clark33

WKR

Waist size was a bit off, shipped my replacement before I even had the return in the mail. My buddy ordered rain gear and two days later it went on 60% clearance, he called and they adjusted his price to the sale price and refunded him the difference.

I have zero complaints, First Lite wouldn’t repair a busted zipper on a rain jacket I had from them, also had another coat where 3 of the 4 total zippers on the thing broke… wanted me to send it to a local repair shop and pay out of pocket. It could be worse man.

Bump79

WKR
Waist size was a bit off, shipped my replacement before I even had the return in the mail. My buddy ordered rain gear and two days later it went on 60% clearance, he called and they adjusted his price to the sale price and refunded him the difference.

I have zero complaints, First Lite wouldn’t repair a busted zipper on a rain jacket I had from them, also had another coat where 3 of the 4 total zippers on the thing broke… wanted me to send it to a local repair shop and pay out of pocket. It could be worse man.
I agree it could be worse.. but I just don't think we should settle for that. Did they charge you for the return when the sizing was off?

It's almost an online retailer clothing standard to allow free returns for sizing. Flat out a Kuiu Peloton 97 top does not fit the same as my 200, a 280 fleece fits closer to a 97 but it's at least long enough, my Chugach NX had zero room for layering and fit as tight as my 200. My Yukon gaiters I had to size up. Probably more. I'm always between large and XL on tops and I'm fine with either as it's consistent. It's not consistent and that's not my fault. So I'm tired of paying for returns due to their spotty sizing. Seems pretty fair to me.

As the thread stated.. Kuiu vs SKRE customer service. Not First Lite but I also find I don't return First Lite due to sizing. SKRE has free sizing returns, free QC issue returns, free returns period. If you haven't experienced @skregear service then I can understand how you'd be ok with Kuiu's. But if you've ordered from SKRE and returned anything - you'll know it's a substantial improvement.

Clark33

WKR
I agree it could be worse.. but I just don't think we should settle for that. Did they charge you for the return when the sizing was off?

It's almost an online retailer clothing standard to allow free returns for sizing. Flat out a Kuiu Peloton 97 top does not fit the same as my 200, a 280 fleece fits closer to a 97 but it's at least long enough, my Chugach NX had zero room for layering and fit as tight as my 200. My Yukon gaiters I had to size up. Probably more. I'm always between large and XL on tops and I'm fine with either as it's consistent. It's not consistent and that's not my fault. So I'm tired of paying for returns due to their spotty sizing. Seems pretty fair to me.

As the thread stated.. Kuiu vs SKRE customer service. Not First Lite but I also find I don't return First Lite due to sizing. SKRE has free sizing returns, free QC issue returns, free returns period. If you haven't experienced @skregear service then I can understand how you'd be ok with Kuiu's. But if you've ordered from SKRE and returned anything - you'll know it's a substantial improvement.
Ok well then buy SKRE not KUIU. What’s your call to action plan to get kuiu cs to your standards? Or are you just venting. I’m 99.9% I was credited for the return shipping. Actually I believe my kuiu gear shipped with a pre labeled return bag incase it needed returning?

Oregonboy

WKR
I don't have any experience with SKRE's CS but KUIU's has been awesome for me. Every time I've called I've talked with nice people that have solved the issue I called about. They even sent me an envelope of stickers with a nice hand written note.

I second the 10/10 for skre. I am inside Canada which helps.

Ordered a full set and shipped quick. Unfortunately it’s didn’t fit my racehorse style body. Pants were too baggy for my skinny legs (my preference) and the jackets don’t have a tall option, so to get the right sleeve length I had to order a bit big which resulted in a baggy chest area. Quality was great. Would happily run their gear if it fit nice.

Decided it wasn’t for me and returning it was easy as could be. They even paid the shipping. Right awesome skre! I’ll be sure to keep an eye on the lineup to see if you skinny/lengthen your gear.

Kuiu - well verdict is still out. Ordered some, had to return do to it not fitting well, reordered different sizes to see if it get better and hasn’t arrived yet. So we shall see whenever they get here. Let’s see how much I get back after the dust settles. Again, I’m in Canada. I’ll post again in a bit once the dust settles.

Why, when on sale, do the tall sizers sell out first in these brands. What does that say?? I know what I say…..🤬

A thought for these companies is why don’t they set themselves up with a Canadian distribution center. Shipping is done quick and there’s no drama with duties and such. Sitka has got to be the worst for this. I cringe ordering from them as there’s always some COD that comes back to bite you 😠. Why are they the only high end company that makes tall jackets, not just one but a few different types, rain, wind, puffy, base and such. 😞

I’ll post once the interaction with kuiu has finished.

Bump79

WKR
Ok well then buy SKRE not KUIU. What’s your call to action plan to get kuiu cs to your standards? Or are you just venting. I’m 99.9% I was credited for the return shipping. Actually I believe my kuiu gear shipped with a pre labeled return bag incase it needed returning?
I was quite literally answering the question "KUIU vs SKRE customer service" posed by the OP.
If you don't want to contribute to the thread then feel free to move on. I'm not here to fan boy. Kuiu has superior products - but that's not what the question was. I answered it honestly that SKRE's customer service is tenfold better and you were disputing my response. Have you bought from SKRE to be able to compare?

If you have gotten free exchanges from Kuiu then great for you. I 100% haven't on multiple exchanges, without any uncertainty.

I'm not calling for an action plan or anything other than answering the question posed. In my opinion offering inconsistent sizing and then not free sizing exchanges is ridiculous for an online exclusive retailer. It's not like I'm driving to Dallas to try it on. This is a standard for online clothing retailers and Kuiu is subpar in this category.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
I was quite literally answering the question "KUIU vs SKRE customer service" posed by the OP.
If you don't want to contribute to the thread then feel free to move on. I'm not here to fan boy. Kuiu has superior products - but that's not what the question was. I answered it honestly that SKRE's customer service is tenfold better and you were disputing my response. Have you bought from SKRE to be able to compare?

If you have gotten free exchanges from Kuiu then great for you. I 100% haven't on multiple exchanges, without any uncertainty.

I'm not calling for an action plan or anything other than answering the question posed. In my opinion offering inconsistent sizing and then not free sizing exchanges is ridiculous for an online exclusive retailer. It's not like I'm driving to Dallas to try it on. This is a standard for online clothing retailers and Kuiu is subpar in this category.
I do see now that they offer free sizes exchanges. I stand corrected - not sure when they added this but I know I didn't get it.
1701533106133.png

Attachments

• 1701533065915.png
    1701533065915.png
    7 KB · Views: 6
I have tons of Kuiu but I always order a medium and a large in everything and just send back the one that doesn’t fit. From item to item the sizing varies big time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk