Favorite Solid Color for Hunting

greens, I stay away from tan/coyote brown since I don't want to be misidentified as an elk while i am stalking about with my tradbow.

Sometimes good old red plaid or other plaids, love the shirts and even have a pair of red plaid woolen pants that are still going strong. I get a kick out of going into the field with as many different plaids on as I can when I wear those trousers, just makes me chuckle for when I meet people at the trailhead. Hey...ya gotta have some fun with this dressin up to sneak around in the woods sport.

I do have some brown pants but won't wear those in rifle season and will throw on the orange then.

also fwiw the older army ACU's with foliage digital camo absolutely melt into the hillside and disappear in western tall grass and sage.
I know people are speaking to solid colors in this thread but the first time I saw that I was very impressed with how it completely disappeared into the hillside and you could only pick out Soldiers if they were wearing a black beret, you couldn't see them at all otherwise (and they were not trying to hide at the time). It was a pretty useless pattern in alot of other areas but here in the west its actually pretty good if you have sage around where you hunt.
Posting in case someone else has a surplus place with the pattern and they have need of it.

Stickmark

FNG
I like napping and laying down, from a distance, could look like a deer. I try to have something other than solid deer like colors, even if a bandana.

RgrLW2012

FNG
I really like Patagonia's stuff in Alpha Green. It blends in well with everything from eastern deciduous foliage to western conifers.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I like napping and laying down, from a distance, could look like a deer. I try to have something other than solid deer like colors, even if a bandana.
I have a blaze orange shemagh I like to wear around my neck if I'm going to wear some solid browns.

I feel like the camo and neutrals are for more of our own eyes and make us think we're hidden, when really the red plaid of yesteryear was probably more stealthy, at least in the eyes of ungulates.

Hnthrdr

WKR
In Co orange is a must but a mix of browns or greys is nice. Nice to use it for multiple purposes, but really for rifle hunting just whatever technical gear you have works well.

6 pages about which color to wear, even though pretty much all the answers (including blaze) are indistinguishable to a deer :unsure:

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
6 pages about which color to wear, even though pretty much all the answers (including blaze) are indistinguishable to a deer :unsure:
I think saying indistinguishable is pretty overdramatic.

Yes, red and orange are indistinguishable from green for deer...but they can distinguish blue from green, yellow from purple, lime green from brown, dark from light, etc. If you wear a light color in a dark environment or vice versa you'll likely stand out and if you don't hide the human figure those deer are going to be wary at the very least.

What? People aren't allowed to have favorites now? :p

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like the camo and neutrals are for more of our own eyes and make us think we're hidden, when really the red plaid of yesteryear was probably more stealthy, at least in the eyes of ungulates.
More stealthy? Ehhh, probably depends on the camo or neutral, but I don't think there would be a significant difference either way. Equally stealthy, absolutely. A red and black plaid is seen by an ungulate as green and black, which simulates light and dark in foliage and breaks up the human outline well. Camo can have the same effect, and wearing contrasting neutrals can also have the same effect.

Honestly, you will be just fine in all three in my opinion. It is going to depend on your skill at hiding far more than what you are wearing. Breaking up silhouette, using shade, shadow, and shine, using cover effectively, hiding your face/eyes and staying still are going to be far more important. Wear whichever makes you most confident and comfortable. I wear all three: neutrals the most, plaids the second most, and camo the least. I'd wear more plaids but since I'm kind of picky about my clothing as far as comfort, functionality, and flexibility I find it easier to find what I want in solids than plaids.

More stealthy? Ehhh, probably depends on the camo or neutral, but I don't think there would be a significant difference either way. Equally stealthy, absolutely. A red and black plaid is seen by an ungulate as green and black, which simulates light and dark in foliage and breaks up the human outline well. Camo can have the same effect, and wearing contrasting neutrals can also have the same effect.

Honestly, you will be just fine in all three in my opinion. It is going to depend on your skill at hiding far more than what you are wearing. Breaking up silhouette, using shade, shadow, and shine, using cover effectively, hiding your face/eyes and staying still are going to be far more important. Wear whichever makes you most confident and comfortable. I wear all three: neutrals the most, plaids the second most, and camo the least. I'd wear more plaids but since I'm kind of picky about my clothing as far as comfort, functionality, and flexibility I find it easier to find what I want in solids than plaids.
I guess stealthy wasn't really the word I was going for on the plaid, stealth needs to be more on the hunter's movements. What was going for was more along the lines of the plaid breaking up the outline more and doing just as good if not better than camo, all while not having to wear orange because deer aren't red plaid in color lol.

I totally agree all three will get the job done. Like you said it's all about breaking up your silhouette to help hid your movement better.
I usually wear solid bottoms, OD green mostly, and a camo or plaid top. I do wear camo bottoms turkey hunting though.
I recently discovered a color in under armour pants called bayou, I like it alot. Its like an OD green, coyote tan, and a touch of grey all blended together. Might be my new go to.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I guess stealthy wasn't really the word I was going for on the plaid, stealth needs to be more on the hunter's movements. What was going for was more along the lines of the plaid breaking up the outline more and doing just as good if not better than camo, all while not having to wear orange because deer aren't red plaid in color lol.

I totally agree all three will get the job done. Like you said it's all about breaking up your silhouette to help hid your movement better.
I usually wear solid bottoms, OD green mostly, and a camo or plaid top. I do wear camo bottoms turkey hunting though.
I recently discovered a color in under armour pants called bayou, I like it alot. Its like an OD green, coyote tan, and a touch of grey all blended together. Might be my new go to.
I agree, some plaids can break you up just as well as anything out there.

Kuiu Ash is a great solid color. I personally stay away from Black or any Tan color, I dont need to be mistaken for a bear or a deer...