Sweet new Pack-Raft Article - Luke Moffat

Sorry Bruce. I guess I should write an article on that perhaps. This article was more or less showing what a packraft can do for you and places it and options it can open up for a person willing to think outside the box.

As for how to tie on a pack, Pfd, and such that stuff varies so much person to person IMO. Really there is no wrong way so long as it's secure. I do apologize the content my article lacked but it was more geared towards why you should get a packraft rather than how to outfit yourself for packrafting.

Much of what you are describing is best found out what works best for you as many people differ on pfds paddles and even dry suit vs rain gear. None of its wrong it's just more or less everyone finds out what suits them best after they realize what they want and best fits their expectations and needs for their style of packrafting.

I wasn't bagging on your article, I understood the purpose. But it would be great to get input on these other concerns for us noobs who have no experience. Pro & cons of different rigs, best way to pack and how to avoid common mistakes...if ya ever find the time. <g>

02403e92feadde3340267261f628a55b.jpg

DaveC

WKR
Get Roman Dials book. Everything you need to know, and some great stories including moose hunting.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting tactic. I guess it worked but quartering or boning it out would have made a little more sense.

Floorguy

WKR
I would assume what they discuss in the Facebook comments. A rope under the arms and pulled backwards from the rock behind her.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Not sure! I should take a white water rescue course at some point no doubt. But I plan my trips such that the creeks I choose to float are generally tame enough or I can portage the bad spots. It's not without inherent risks. But it's pretty obvious in this video that river was running WELL above normal in which case putting in in the first place should be avoided.

Far from an expert white water pack rafter and rarely do Class III Rapids even so take that what it's worth. The areas I choose to explore generally revolve around "can I float an animal out of here on a packraft". Rather than can I make it down these Rapids with just day gear, which means I stick to mellower rivers. But there is always some risk floating rivers especially ones with no data of anyone rafting them so common sense comes into play no doubt. Seems to have worked well in the last 9 years of pack rafting. Knowing and being honest with your limits is key.

DaveC

WKR

Steps 1-10: Don't get in the situation in the first place. Don't take gumbies down a tight river at flood. Don't let inexperienced paddlers take a slow to turn boat down a stream at flood. If you swim, get your feet high and in front of you and swim away from rocks and logs. Etc, etc. No reason to swim in that situation.

Step 11 would be getting a rope to the victim and pulling her off from shore. Pretty ideal situation for that, of course you need a throw bag to make that happen.

People take moving water way too lightly. Packrafting is about to get much more popular, I expect quite a few people to die in the next decade because of it. The packraft-specific courses Eric Riley has been teaching for SSI are highly recommended: http://www.swiftwatersafetyinstitute.com/#!sched/c1iwn

Great article. Been thinking about getting one going one of these days. Not just for hunting but long treks through large roadless areas (right DaveC ;))
Are they hard to find used and if I did find one, what would I be looking for as far as "seaworthiness" (obviously no holes....;))?

DaveC

WKR
Not just for hunting but long treks through large roadless areas (right DaveC ;))
Are they hard to find used and if I did find one, what would I be looking for as far as "seaworthiness" (obviously no holes....;))?

This year would be a good one for that.

The used market still seems to be fast and furious. When I sold my old boat last summer I got over two dozen emails within a few hours. There are more boats on the market, but they still go fast and for a large percentage of retail.

If a used boat does have a patched hole, it's not necessarily a deal breaker. If it was well patched it should be about as good as new. My old boat had a ~1" slit which went three years with no leaking after I repaired it initially. If you can't inflate it in person and check for tiny leaks, get detailed pictures. The other thing to worry about with older boats which have seen a lot, lot of use is micro holes in the floor. They can seem fine on visual inspection, but leak a small amount out on the water. The vast majority of boats never approach the level of use that creates that.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Steps 1-10: Don't get in the situation in the first place. Don't take gumbies down a tight river at flood. Don't let inexperienced paddlers take a slow to turn boat down a stream at flood. If you swim, get your feet high and in front of you and swim away from rocks and logs. Etc, etc. No reason to swim in that situation.

Step 11 would be getting a rope to the victim and pulling her off from shore. Pretty ideal situation for that, of course you need a throw bag to make that happen.

People take moving water way too lightly. Packrafting is about to get much more popular, I expect quite a few people to die in the next decade because of it. The packraft-specific courses Eric Riley has been teaching for SSI are highly recommended: http://www.swiftwatersafetyinstitute.com/#!sched/c1iwn

Well stated Dave! And with more tact and thought out than how I was trying to convey what I was saying! Be great if you could swing the Rondy this year. Pretty mellow for what you are used to (both the approach and the pack rafting). But be great to bounce questions and such off someone as experienced as yourself sir.

Thanks again.

DaveC

WKR
Well stated Dave! And with more tact and thought out than how I was trying to convey what I was saying! Be great if you could swing the Rondy this year. Pretty mellow for what you are used to (both the approach and the pack rafting). But be great to bounce questions and such off someone as experienced as yourself sir.

Thanks again.

Probably not going to happen this year with the new kid, but I'd sure like to. Going to swing a Brooks caribou hunt packraft trip at some point in the next few years.