Permanent mirage shield: wrapping a barrel like a suppressor?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Seeing suppressor covers for mirage; if the barrel channel is wide enough, anyone thought about wrapping a barrel in a single layer of high temp silicone tape and coflex as a mirage shield? The silicone should avoid moister trapping, the coflex might get dirty, but so long as the action is not bonded into the stock, pulling it once or twice a year should not be an issue.

It would slow down barrel cooling, but in a good barrel, does that really matter. I guess with a warmer barrel throat erosion might speed up a touch. Probably a bigger concern in something like a 6UM than in 223 or 308.

I'm not getting vertical stringing, but on some days my groups open up and after the first shot or two in a string I have trouble getting a clear view of the target. I'm assuming this is mirage (given that it is only an issues on some days), though it could be eye fatigue. Guess the place to start is throw some cardboard and tape in the truck, and when it starts, put on a mirage shield and see if the problem resolves.

rayporter

WKR
my go to is 2 velcro dots on the barrel and an old window blind about 2 inches wide with velcro on it to stick on the barrel. but sometimes i lose the window blind and have to cut a piece of target to tape to the barrel.

when shooting long strings on the prairie i like to run water down the barrel and drape wet towels over the barrel.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lots of guys like enclosed fore ends because they can limit heat in front of the scope. I got one this year for my match gun. Nothing more frustrating than elevation being off from mirage.