Suppressor wait times

gabenzeke

WKR
Dealer submitted 10/22. ATF kicked back paperwork in February for dealer mistake but told them it doesn't lose it's place in the queue (I had my serious doubts about this!!). New submission date of 3/31/23. Approved today!!!! Thunderbeast Ultra 5 just in time for my elk trip in CO in 2 weeks.
What was the mistake? Happy for you, but annoyed that silencer shop initially sold me the wrong trust and then made a spelling error on the new one and ATF kicked it back and I had to start over.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

What was the mistake? Happy for you, but annoyed that silencer shop initially sold me the wrong trust and then made a spelling error on the new one and ATF kicked it back and I had to start over.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Not sure dealer was super apologetic and said she misspelled something in my pedigree.

brant89

FNG
I've had a GSL Woodland 22 in NFA jail since Jan 14. Starting to get a little anxious to get it in my hands.

I've had a GSL Woodland 22 in NFA jail since Jan 14. Starting to get a little anxious to get it in my hands.

I hope you get it soon. I’m still waiting on two from October. This process is certainly flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

atmat

WKR
Approved today (Sunday). Certified 02/10. Emailed immediately asking about batching my other pending suppressor.

Edit: I went through Scheels just as an FYI. They price matched other retailers and did everything in house (pics, fingerprints, etc.). Honestly so far they really killed it with customer service.
Wanted to give an update. I’ve been emailing daily about batching my other suppressor from Sunday through yesterday (Wednesday). I’ve included the general ATF email who sent the approval, as well as CC’d my individual approver.

Heard back today from the approver, who said, “I can only do the work that’s assigned to me.”

Sounds like they have no freedom to choose/batch unless it just so happens to be placed on their desk — which is annoying.

Oh well, now I wait another few months.

atmat

WKR
There are probably hundreds of people calling them and expecting special treatment too.
That may be true. But I’d reckon the majority of inquiries are not causing the delays but are precisely because of the delays.

Any organization should be looking for low-hanging fruit from an efficiency perspective. Batching is obviously more efficient.

WKR
Wanted to give an update. I’ve been emailing daily about batching my other suppressor from Sunday through yesterday (Wednesday). I’ve included the general ATF email who sent the approval, as well as CC’d my individual approver.

Heard back today from the approver, who said, “I can only do the work that’s assigned to me.”

Sounds like they have no freedom to choose/batch unless it just so happens to be placed on their desk — which is annoying.

Oh well, now I wait another few months.
I appreciate the update, even of its not ideal news. It does make sense with what people are seeing.

At least you got one before the shut down if it happens.

Any organization should be looking for low-hanging fruit from an efficiency perspective. Batching is obviously more efficient.
Precisely why they don't. They aren't stupid. It's government. Job #1: Grow itself. Create a problem and then require more $ and manpower to solve the "problem". We've seen it time and time again. What's surprising is that we're still surprised.

6.5x284

WKR
Pending 2/23/23; approved 9/28/23. Lahar 30. Individual Trust; LGS submitted through Silencer Shop.

Still hoping they batched with my Lahar 30L and Enticer L Ti but doesn’t look like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R55

FNG
About to pull the trigger on one. Expectations set… process is a load of tripe.

Finally got my two form 4 approvals today. Certified on 10/24/22 and approved on 9/28/23. 338 days. Way too long but glad I’m through that part. These are my first two so the wait has been even worse. Finally ended up emailing [email protected] on 9/18 to get a status on my background check. Got a response within a couple hours at most stating my ntn’s had been delayed but we’re now taken care of and would be passed on to the atf. On 9/27 I emailed [email protected] stating what the fbi had said and the next morning my approvals came through. Hopefully they get this approval process streamlined or just abolish the nfa as no one should have to wait anywhere near this long to be able to own a suppressor.

Portland

FNG
I'm going on 6 months. Based on some of your comments looks like I still have a ways to go.

I'm going on 6 months. Based on some of your comments looks like I still have a ways to go.

I’d hit up the Reddit megathread and read through a bit of stuff. There’s plenty of people getting approved in short time frames as well. There’s a lot of discussion on there about who and how to email to actually get some real status updates beyond calling the atf and getting told it’s pending. Mine was delayed at fbi background check and I believe had I not emailed about it it’d still be in delayed status. I think most people say it’s worth sending some emails once you go beyond the average wait time. I hope yours goes much faster than mine did.