Suppressor wait times

I have several suppressors but those were all paper apps in years past. Bought a TB in October from my gunsmiths shop and it was her first eform. She had to log in and at one point in the app process I had to log in and pay etc. She uploaded my pics and fingerprint file and said it went through and it’s all set. Charged my cc that day. Can I log into my account and check the status or do I need to have my gun shop check for me? I logged in but couldn’t find anything

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
A couple questions, roughly how long after approval are you actually receiving the suppressor?
And what exactly is the ATF doing to “approve” the apps that is taking so long?
In my mind the approval process shouldn’t be any more complicated than doing a simple background check.

Ucsdryder

WKR
A couple questions, roughly how long after approval are you actually receiving the suppressor?
In my mind the approval process shouldn’t be any more complicated than doing a simple background check.
Those are the million dollar questions…

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
1. Depends. If you buy locally, you can pick it up that day. SC, on the other hand, took an additional 3 1/2 wks to ship my suppressor.
2. NOTHING. They don't care.
3. Absolutely correct. See #2. This is all part of the "agenda" to discourage the ownership of firearms and suppressors.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
1. Depends. If you buy locally, you can pick it up that day. SC, on the other hand, took an additional 3 1/2 wks to ship my suppressor.
2. NOTHING. They don't care.
3. Absolutely correct. See #2. This is all part of the "agenda" to discourage the ownership of firearms and suppressors.
I figured that I already knew the answer to question 2, but you just solidified it. Thanks

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I'm Oct 2022, still waiting.

I got my first one last year, after waiting 1 year and 2 weeks. I follow a NFA reddit thread that's very active. They're currently reporting around 270 day wait times. So 10 months or so. This is up from 9 months when I bought last fall.

I agree with Dave C. This is unnecessary discouragement of lawful ownership. If that $200 stamp had risen with inflation, it would be over $4k today. Blatant over-reach and loop hole of the bill of rights.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I have several suppressors but those were all paper apps in years past. Bought a TB in October from my gunsmiths shop and it was her first eform. She had to log in and at one point in the app process I had to log in and pay etc. She uploaded my pics and fingerprint file and said it went through and it’s all set. Charged my cc that day. Can I log into my account and check the status or do I need to have my gun shop check for me? I logged in but couldn’t find anything

In order to get the status of your transfer from the ATF, you can call the NFA Branch directly at (304) 616-4500.

I only tried calling once. It was a 45 min hold, and they can only tell you if it's pending or approved (assuming you're past the check cashing stage). And the approval over the phone is potentially two weeks ahead of the letter to your FFL. So, there's not much point in calling, unless you're concerned there's a complication.

Last edited:
I called earlier today to see what they had to say since I'm at 290 days today. Lady on the phone said that "it was received 4/15/2022 and that it is pending." Phone call took 6m35s

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine Thursday. E-form 4 with trust. 272 days to clear and an additional day to get it from the dealer.

TheHammer

WKR
Just received my approval email
3 hours ago. Submitted 4/10/22. I purchased 3 at that time. So I’m still waiting on 2 more approvals….