Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

Just ordered my first two and waiting now.
I researched for years with overwhelming more positive comments than negative.Im also cutting down two higher priced rifles to use with them.
Some say don’t because of losing value.I bought them to kill stuff and I’m not carrying a 28 inch plus rifle.No way im wearing ear plugs while hunting either.
Why are you opposed to putting in ear plugs before you shoot? You dont have to wear them in your ears all the time. I have the howard leight ones with the plastic band that goes around your neck. They are unnoticeable until i need them.

I see it as trendy.

There are still quite a few people who see the 6.5 Creedmoor as "trendy" as well. It has been around since 2007 (that's 16 years for the math challenged folks).

I got my first suppressor in 2013 and I was not the first one to do so in my peer group. They have only gotten more popular in that time. If it is a trend, I will put it in the same "trend" category as the 30-06, which, BTW was considered trendy in the 1910s.

Additionally, as more an more rural places are populated, I believe that suppressors won't just be "nice to have" they will be required if we want to keep hunting those areas. I am not saying that the Feds will give up control over them because, let's face it, when has the .gov ever given up power once it has it? I do believe that places will either ban hunting or require the use of suppressors, just like our friends across the pond.

Why are you opposed to putting in ear plugs before you shoot? You dont have to wear them in your ears all the time.
Seems like just one more thing to keep track of during a shot process where I'm already trying to get set up, get the range to the animal, determine wind, make sure my rifle is level, etc. Why willingly introduce another step to that process?

wyosam

WKR
Because sometimes, sh!t happens. If you haven't had an animal move at the wrong time, or an unseen little branch get hit by a bullet/arrow, or any of the hundreds of other things happen when hunting, then you haven't been at this very long, have you.

Yes, sometimes sh!t does happen. Those things that can happen at any range, are compounded by shooting across canyons in variable winds (the conditions described that I was responding to). I’ve been at this a very long time, and made shot choices when I was younger that I would never make now. I love to shoot long range, and I also know a lot of people have the skill to make those shots at a higher percentage. Reality is that there are a ton of people out there who hit an IPSC a couple times at distance and suddenly think they’re capable of taking game at distance, and they aren’t. Justifying bad shot choices based on game not spooking because the shot is suppressed, and being able to spot impact to be able to correct the follow up is still taking a bad shot. Maybe game doesn’t spook as much due to less sound, but there is still either a bad hit, or a bullet smacking the ground nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are you opposed to putting in ear plugs before you shoot? You dont have to wear them in your ears all the time. I have the howard leight ones with the plastic band that goes around your neck. They are unnoticeable until i need them.

Because they are almost worse than useless. You get the illusion of safety, while not really gaining anything. Ear plugs require proper use to get the full benefit. The Howard Light ones you mentioned have a NRR of 25dB. The average dB of the 30-06 rifle is 163.6 dB. That means that if you are using them exactly as they are designed, you are reducing the dB of that muzzle blast to 138.6dB, which is just barely below the instantaneous hearing damage threshold of 140dB. If you are even just a bit off with how you are using them, which I will guarantee most people are, especially when trying to shove them in while trying to get ready for a shot, you will not get the protection you think you are. Even at 90% effectiveness, using that same example above, you are now only getting 22.5dB of reduction, reducing that muzzle blast of the same 30-06 to 141.1. Over the threshold.

That is why ear plugs are a crap solution to field shooting when using rifles. For shotguns, whose muzzle blasts are generally in the 150dB range, they make more sense.

wyosam

WKR
For me a suppressor is a way to prevent tinnitus to which I already have a touch of. I still use ear pro of a sort even with cans.

There is nobody who I know of that shoots a bunch that would argure against a suppressor.
I define a bunch by over 2000 rounds yearly.

And yes I know that isnt a bunch to some but its more than most.

I shoot between 2-3k a year, and don’t use a suppressor. I would say there is a difference between choosing not to use one, and arguing against them. I don’t care in the slightest if people choose to use one. I think it would be great if all the ATF/tax stamp nonsense went away, though I doubt it ever will. I’d much rather people use a can over a brake. I might change my mind for range use if brakes become less common. But as is, I’m basing my ear protection on the fact that someone on the line is going to be shooting a cannon with a brake anyway.

Generally speaking, I take 3-4 rifles when I go to the range. Zero interest in moving a can around every time I switch, and zero interest in dumping that much money in multiples. I do have one for my 22lr that I use every once in a while, though rarely at the range. Wouldn’t spend the money on that one again, but there are times when that level of quiet is handy. But subsonic 22 is a lot different than a suppressed hunting rifle.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I shoot between 2-3k a year, and don’t use a suppressor. I would say there is a difference between choosing not to use one, and arguing against them. I don’t care in the slightest if people choose to use one. I think it would be great if all the ATF/tax stamp nonsense went away, though I doubt it ever will. I’d much rather people use a can over a brake. I might change my mind for range use if brakes become less common. But as is, I’m basing my ear protection on the fact that someone on the line is going to be shooting a cannon with a brake anyway.

Generally speaking, I take 3-4 rifles when I go to the range. Zero interest in moving a can around every time I switch, and zero interest in dumping that much money in multiples. I do have one for my 22lr that I use every once in a while, though rarely at the range. Wouldn’t spend the money on that one again, but there are times when that level of quiet is handy. But subsonic 22 is a lot different than a suppressed hunting rifle.

Some of us are blessed to have private places to shoot where I dont have to worry about the fudd next to me. Sometimes I forget what going to a range is like.

Some of us rather just have a can for each rifle and less rifles. I dont mind spending money on cans since they arent disposable items like a barrel. Scopes and cans can basically be reused indefinately.

wyosam

WKR
A 10-20 second suppressor detach/attach is your personal cutoff?

When cycling back and forth between rifles multiple times? Yeah, it is. I cycle between rifles to keep barrels cool. Mix of hunting rifles and heavier barreled target rifles generally. Screwing a hot suppressor on and off is not how I want to spend my range time. I don’t want a quick change device on all my barrels, either. Like I said, I don’t care what you choose to do.

wyosam

WKR
Some of us are blessed to have private places to shoot where I dont have to worry about the fudd next to me. Sometimes I forget what going to a range is like.

Some of us rather just have a can for each rifle and less rifles. I dont mind spending money on cans since they arent disposable items like a barrel. Scopes and cans can basically be reused indefinately.

Sounds fantastic, I’m glad your choice works well for you.

fwafwow

WKR
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I have grown to hate wearing ear pro. I used to wear the HL electronic muffs, but on one occasion a buck showed up at first light and before I had them on. In my excitement I shot the 30-06 and I expect the ringing in my ears (that I can hear right now) is due in part to that flounder. Now I always use a can, and the longer and higher performing, the better. And I still wear muffs (now Sordins) and plugs when at the range.

TaperPin

WKR
There are still quite a few people who see the 6.5 Creedmoor as "trendy" as well. It has been around since 2007 (that's 16 years for the math challenged folks).

I got my first suppressor in 2013 and I was not the first one to do so in my peer group. They have only gotten more popular in that time. If it is a trend, I will put it in the same "trend" category as the 30-06, which, BTW was considered trendy in the 1910s.

Additionally, as more an more rural places are populated, I believe that suppressors won't just be "nice to have" they will be required if we want to keep hunting those areas. I am not saying that the Feds will give up control over them because, let's face it, when has the .gov ever given up power once it has it? I do believe that places will either ban hunting or require the use of suppressors, just like our friends across the pond.
I really should have clarified that comment. I think it’s trendy in mountain rifles actually carried up the hill, because of the weight penalty. I’m a big fan of them for the other 1,000’s of rounds shot each year. I hope all my friends get one for Christmas - and I have a 6.5 creed 🙂

It shocked me that airguns have no restrictions with “mufflers“. None. Screw it on just like for a firearm. I’d vote for a guy if they said they would do away with the crazy red tape for cans.

I really should have clarified that comment. I think it’s trendy in mountain rifles actually carried up the hill, because of the weight penalty. I’m a big fan of them for the other 1,000’s of rounds shot each year. I hope all my friends get one for Christmas - and I have a 6.5 creed 🙂

It shocked me that airguns have no restrictions with “mufflers“. None. Screw it on just like for a firearm. I’d vote for a guy if they said they would do away with the crazy red tape for cans.

Fair point. I still don't think it is "trendy", even in mountain rifles. The long-term benefits outweigh the costs in my opinion. As for the the guys pushing to shave a few ounces off of their rifles for carrying in the field, whether it be mountains or forests, in my experience, quite a few of them would be better served to shave that weight at the waistline, rather than in the firearm (myself included).

duffman

FNG
I’ve actually found the opposite to be true: hunting is when I find the most utility from using a silencer, for all the reasons stated by others already. The only time I don’t like using one is in a match or extended shooting w/ a precision rifle.

A) I’ll be shooting right next to guys who aren’t using them so will be wearing earpro.
B) The round count is high or it’s hot enough to make mirage a detriment which would them mean I can’t use as much magnification.

Except for the above scenario I’ve not shot a rifle w/o a silencer for so long that I’m just used to the additional weight/length, so it’s not even a factor to me.

quite a few of them would be better served to shave that weight at the waistline, rather than in the firearm (myself included).
That always amuses me with suppressors and also scopes. An extra 0.25 pound can cause someone to choose a way less reliable scope.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Suppressing a hunting rifle is nice for Africa as you shoot a lot and often hunt close to a truck. I’d be slow to put a can on a rifle I had to carry far. Plus, you ideally want a slightly heavier contour and shorter barrel.

They make sense on ARs though.

duffman

FNG
Why? shoot Lite contours and they’re fine.
I’ve wondered this as well. For instance I’ve heard light palma is recommended as lightest contour. I’m assuming it’s to have enough material for good threads/shoulder, but if you have the muzzle flared/stepped up, does it really matter?