Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

OP
General RE LEE
Funny the amount of people triggered by this post I’ve hunted with suppressed, braked and standard. Will never hunt suppressed again. One of the most over rated expensive pieces of equipment on the hunting market imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to stick with it but yes mine was over $1K. Could have gotten a Sako S20 6.5 PRC at that price.

Hopefully they come down in price one day.

WRO

WKR
I have suppressor specific rifles with barrels, I do everything to hunt with them always. But to each their own.

If you cut a 24” barrel down to 18” or 19” and then thread on a 5.5” or 6.6” suppressor that’s 7oz. or 8oz. how much weight and length did you add to the rifle?

Vern400

WKR
I feel the same way. The suppressor is super nice for developing loads, shooting targets, doing some practice.

In the field, I'm not willing to shorten my barrel, give up performance and then go to a bigger cartridge to get the same performance, and carry the extra weight.

Everybody has different concerns, and they have the right to do as they wish. My personal experience has been when I shoot a deer or hog or coyote, they are dead before they hear the shot. Spooking and running around ain't no problem for me.

I'll probably buy a can when I don't have to do the government garbage other than just the background check. Hopefully in the next year or two that'll come through Congress it's been introduced recently.

Axlrod

WKR
I feel the same way. The suppressor is super nice for developing loads, shooting targets, doing some practice.

In the field, I'm not willing to shorten my barrel, give up performance and then go to a bigger cartridge to get the same performance, and carry the extra weight.

Everybody has different concerns, and they have the right to do as they wish. My personal experience has been when I shoot a deer or hog or coyote, they are dead before they hear the shot. Spooking and running around ain't no problem for me.

I'll probably buy a can when I don't have to do the government garbage other than just the background check. Hopefully in the next year or two that'll come through Congress it's been introduced recently.
Never going to happen. Was introduced when Trump was POTUS and both chambers were controlled by the GOP. They couldn't get it done. The list of politicians that care about the small number of people owning /wanting suppressors is very short. The process to get one is pretty simple at the kiosk's . and then you wait 6-12 months. It's not for everyone i get it.

OP
General RE LEE
Never going to happen. Was introduced when Trump was POTUS and both chambers were controlled by the GOP. They couldn't get it done. The list of politicians that care about the small number of people owning /wanting suppressors is very short. The process to get one is pretty simple at the kiosk's . and then you wait 6-12 months. It's not for everyone i get it.

There are still alot of hunters that have no idea hunting with suppressors is becoming a “thing” here in the US.

I think it’s a possibility suppressors will be an over the counter item within a decade as more hunters become aware of the benefits.

DanP

FNG
There are still alot of hunters that have no idea hunting with suppressors is becoming a “thing” here in the US.

I think it’s a possibility suppressors will be an over the counter item within a decade as more hunters become aware of the benefits.
One can only hope! I've been shooting suppressors for a couple of years now and don't want to go back! The 6 months wait is frustrating.

Axlrod

WKR

So you think it's a possibility that both the US house, senete, and the president will agree to relax some gun control laws for a few hunters? It would be a common sense idea. If you could, list all their other common sense ideas! :ROFLMAO:

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty hilarious how defensive all the can enthusiasts are. FWIW, I have a suppressor and have hunted plenty both with and without. Bottom line is that I agree with the OP 100% on his observations. That being said, I'll still use mine for hunting because of some of the advantages laid out. What cracks me up is all the sharpshooters who say the major advantage is that the game being targeted just looks at you after shooting suppressed. If you need more than one shot, perhaps you should spend more time at the range.

Hunting goes sideways sometimes.

A few years back my wife and I had doe antelope tags. She shot one and while field dressing it another walked by at about 200 yards. I was carrying a 7-08 with a 20" barrel. I shot at that doe off trekking poles and made a bad hit. Took 2 more shots. I don't know why, maybe it was the terrain, but my ears were ringing like I have never experienced. I honestly have never had my ears ring like that, for days.

I wish I would have had a suppressor that day. Going forward I hope to never shoot an unsuppressed rifle again. I now have an Ultra 7 on my "wife's" 6mm and a Hyperion K on my 7 PRC.
The other option is to wear some ear pro. I have been wearing it around my neck for years and have never missed out on a shot because I had to put them in.

I'll probably buy a can when I don't have to do the government garbage other than just the background check.
These two statements confuse me. How much experience do you have with suppressors if you don't own one?
This is a dumb statement.
They don't call him the DeerSniper™ at all. But if they did, they wouldn't call him it for nothing.

atmat

WKR
Really??? Why?? Never has taken me more than 1 or 2 and the 2nd is a shot for good measure and to finish an animal off.
Because some folks shoot very long distances here, across canyons with varying winds. It doesn’t matter how good you are, no one comes close to being 100% in those conditions.

Also, lots of us shoot animals until they’re dead instead of shooting and letting them die.

Just ordered my first two and waiting now.
I researched for years with overwhelming more positive comments than negative.Im also cutting down two higher priced rifles to use with them.
Some say don’t because of losing value.I bought them to kill stuff and I’m not carrying a 28 inch plus rifle.No way im wearing ear plugs while hunting either.

wyosam

WKR
Because some folks shoot very long distances here, across canyons with varying winds. It doesn’t matter how good you are, no one comes close to being 100% in those conditions.

Also, lots of us shoot animals until they’re dead instead of shooting and letting them die.

Ahh, so it aids the ability to walk shots in like artillery. Then in the next sentence suddenly the idea of a quick ethical kill comes back into play. If you’re “not close to 100%”, maybe you shouldn’t be taking the shot?

Sled

WKR
I’m about to explode some heads when I say after owning a suppressor since October and hunting with it, it’s kinda cool but has its drawbacks on a hunting rifle.

1) adds weight to the muzzle and changes the balance of the rifle.

2) adds length to the rifle and can make it not as maneuverable/compact

3) reduces blast and some recoil but on a light kicker like 6.5 Creedmoor, it wasn’t bad to begin with.

4) Expensive

I own 1 Tikka CTRs and 1 Tikka UPR 20” barrels (308 and 6.5 Creedmoor) and for hunting rifles, they are great in their stock configuration. For hunting, where there is only 1-2 shots max on a trip, a short rifle with no can or brake is light and not bad on the ears.

So I’m actually going to say, I’ll keep the can for now but I see it more useful at extended range sessions vs hunting.

For a pure hunting rifle, I don’t see the tremendous value that others find with a can.
You do you, boo

Really??? Why?? Never has taken me more than 1 or 2 and the 2nd is a shot for good measure and to finish an animal off.

Ahh, so it aids the ability to walk shots in like artillery. Then in the next sentence suddenly the idea of a quick ethical kill comes back into play. If you’re “not close to 100%”, maybe you shouldn’t be taking the shot?

Because sometimes, sh!t happens. If you haven't had an animal move at the wrong time, or an unseen little branch get hit by a bullet/arrow, or any of the hundreds of other things happen when hunting, then you haven't been at this very long, have you.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
For me a suppressor is a way to prevent tinnitus to which I already have a touch of. I still use ear pro of a sort even with cans.

There is nobody who I know of that shoots a bunch that would argure against a suppressor.
I define a bunch by over 2000 rounds yearly.

And yes I know that isnt a bunch to some but its more than most.