Suppressed vs Non-Suppressed Hunting

As someone who can barely read over the constant ringing in my left ear, I can't recommend suppressors enough.

Your ears might ring after just one or two shots, but then it goes away, so you think it's fine. Then one day the ringing won't stop after you shoot, it will just get a little quieter.

You think, oh, the damage is done, I have tinnitus, what do I have to lose? But every shot just makes the ringing louder and louder.......

Most of my damage was done when I was younger and in situations where I didn't have a chance at ear pro. Please don't take non-ringing ears for granted.
I duck hunted 40 years shooting 3" mags probably thousands of rounds. We all wear electronic hearing protection now but nobody ever did before. In the grand scheme of things a couple rifles shots a year aren't even up to the level of the proverbial drop in the bucket.

Having said that, the worst thing I ever did to my ears were the rock and metal concerts.

WKR
It's a hard thing to admit to yourself, that you only have yourself to blame for irreversible damage. People will do all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify their choices, anything from "it's fine" to "other things are worse."

If you're lucky enough to avoid serious ringing, good for you, but don't let your pride sway people into taking the same risks, they might not be as lucky.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If I believed in LAWS the one I'd support would be that all rifles be suppressed.

But I don't believe in laws so do what you like.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I won't even hunt with someone if they're not suppressed. Not worth my ears.

There's 6in, 6-7oz suppressors for hunting and there's really no reason not to have one if weight is the issue.

There's virtually no cartridge that cutting from 22 or 24 to 18 restricts you to hunting ranges almost anyone is able to accurately shoot at from a field position.
I won’t even hang out with somebody if they don’t own a silencer.