Suggestions on tents

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
I have gear paralysis. I am at the point that I’m ready to drop some $ on a tent. I have gone in circles. I think I have my mind made up then I read a different review.

I want a tent that is light enough for going solo (thinking 4 pounds and under but could do 5 for something that will last for years and years). Big enough for 2 guys and gear (thinking 3 man+). Able to hold up to unforeseen weather (snow/wind during October hunts in the west). Good for summer scouting and camping only trips where weather could be 90+ degrees. Going to last for a number of years. Has a floor and bug protection.

I thought I was sold on a Big Agnes 3 person. Then I read about the tigerwall. Then I get to thinking about the weather. Then I read about guys and their tipis. Then I get into tarptents. Then bivvys and a tarp. Then I get into hot tents. Then I think about the weather I have already been in (a foot of snow and 19 degrees overnight when the weather said a slight chance of rain) and been absolutely comfortable with a $30 Walmart tent. I get so upsidedown and sideways.

If I said $2k was your absolute limit. Where would you point me? Are all of these requests possible with one, do it all setup? Or should I do two setups?
I really think you would be extremely happy with the argali absoroka. I was beyond impressed with mine. Lots of versatility as well! Sounds like it’d fit the bill!

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
5 states in the west. Only 3 planned this year. I’d say 50 percent this year is in my home state of Oregon.
Gotcha.

Well I don't want to sound like some kuiu fan boy, which I'm not. However I do appreciate good gear. I also know that there are plenty opinions and preferences out there.

My father in law got the mountain star when it first came out, and it is still running strong besides a tear in the groundsheet. I believe it is very versatile in the sense that you can take out the inner to save weight if the land allows you to do so. Since you asked about durability.

I think one of the biggest things about it that gets overlooked is that the poles are external meaning you can set it in a downpour without it getting wet on the inside. A feature I highly appreciate in SE AK. Also it is very easy to set up and can be done in only a few minutes.

I like it and I have not had reason to look elsewhere.

My disclaimer is that I have never used pole tents and therefore have no opinion about it. From what I read is that most need close to perfect pitch, specially in bad weather. That is not the case with a robust freestanding tent. I've been in the mountain star in winds up to 50 mph, we did have stakes that popped out but that was our on fault. Never once was I nervous about the tent.

westco24

FNG
Great discussion and ideas-thanks all. I think it's important to look at where and when you hunt and build a system. I bow elk, do some above timberline hunts, and later season deer and elk hunt in Rockies. After several years ended up with a warbonnet hammock kit with quilts for September, a SO Silex if I know there won't be room for a tipi, and the CF SO Cimarron. Currently have the borah bivy, neoair, and zenbivy pad holder for the Silex and tipi. The borah takes care of bugs, and same top quilt in all. For the tipi in winter I like taking a cold steel shovel to trench around the sod skirt for wind/water and split wood for stove. I added the utility tray under stove to make it more stable. For ground sheets I use EasyGard wrap-it's like grain sack material. Lighter than tyvek and seems to stay cleaner. Trekking poles connected or a stick for the tipi and Silex. All this stuff packs up very small and fits anywhere in your pack.
But the best tent I ever had was a 4x4 ford van.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
I think one of the biggest things about it that gets overlooked is that the poles are external meaning you can set it in a downpour without it getting wet on the inside. A feature I highly appreciate in SE AK. Also it is very easy to set up and can be done in only a few minutes.
Setting up a tent in southeast, especially around Ketchikan definitely gives a new perspective to tent camping!

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Oh no! I won’t buy black rifle coffee for the owners mouth. Now I’m curious what he said. Eh if I don’t find out, it can’t bother me. I’ll just be over here with my head in the sand for that one. Plus this is the only social media I have since 2017. Seeing and reading the same garbage from the same garbage people. Also why I don’t watch any news channels.

Anyway back to it, any negatives towards tipis you can make me aware of so I can watch out for or get ahead of?
If you want to be able to continue the lifestyle you love which includes owning a firearm you may want to choose another brand

joelski

FNG
I believe it is very versatile in the sense that you can take out the inner to save weight if the land allows you to do so
If you use it without the inner are you able to get a pitch pretty low to the ground still? Wasn't able to get a sense for that in any videos I've found

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be honest I have never used it without the inner, I just know the option is there. I use it mainly in Alaska meaning that there is either alot of bugs or very wet. I just know the option is there. I'm trying to remember, but I believe the straps from the fly that the end of the poles attach to are not adjustable. But I guess the best thing is to ask KUIU. Sorry for not being able to give you a better answer.

JigStick

WKR
With a 2k budget I’d be all over a Seek Outside Redcliff Lite with stove Jack. And a full nest made by BearPaw Wilderness Designs. That’s the setup I ended up with and it’s a year round palace for hiking / camping with my two boys.

jayrad313

FNG
for 2 plus gear or solo I’d be in a SO cimmaron. Buy a stove, nest and liner and you’d have a do-it-all single tent which sounds like what you’re looking for. You could go floorless in the summer, hot tent in the winter and it would be a palace when you’re alone without being too heavy or taking up a lot of real estate