Suggestions for a fire extinguisher to keep in vehicle

sacklunch

WKR
Looking for recommendations on a general purpose fire extinguisher that I would leave in the vehicle. I say general purpose but certainly it would need to be able to put out an automobile fire. I’ve been involved with those fires and they’re pretty damn scary.

What do y’all recommend?
A small one.

cjdewese

WKR
That's pretty cool, looks useful and portable enough for camping/outdoor activities too.
Anyone with experience with these? For a car they seem ideal since if its under the hood you can just crack it a bit to use it. The videos ive seen look promising but looking for real world experience if anyone has it.

BBob

WKR
I carry Halon extinguishers. Standard dry extinguishers are going to add to and potentially make an even bigger mess. The residue is a huge pain to clean. Dry can potentially kill electronics too, Halon won’t.

Dented

WKR
I carry a 5lb in the cab and a 10 pound in the bed. I hadn't considered a Halon extinguisher. I am now, thanks BBob!

SonnyDay

WKR
Also curious if anyone has actually used the Element ones... they seem pretty legit.

11boo

WKR
Also curious if anyone has actually used the Element ones... they seem pretty legit.
I was looking at those. Road flare size Thing that works like a smoke bomb, but you have to get 8” from the fire for it to work. Looks like it is for bbq fires.

Wellsdw

WKR
I keep the ones that spray foam out in mine...
I agree with zap. The problem with dry Chem is it May extinguish the fire temporarily, but if it’s caused my a continuous arch or very hot surface dry chem has little cooling capacity outside extinguishing what fire is there. (If it doesn’t run out) . Another tip would be bust the plastic grill out and empty it, rather than lifting the hood.