Suggestions: Hunting scope with exposed or locking windage turret

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a new win mag for a lightweight hunting rifle as kind of a go anywhere, do anything build.

I am looking to put a light-ish optic on it but I'm a bit torn on some options. Ideally, I like an illuminated reticle for when in the dark timber early. I don't really need more than 10-15 magnification for my hunting nor do I need a 50-56 objective as I'm trying to keep it compact in general. I want to keep the lower magnification below 4 if possible as I hunt all over the place (thick timber and more open spaces). I also am not a huge fan of turret caps...but it seems most high end scopes for hunting have a locking turret for elevation, but a cap for wind. I dial on each shot, so it would be great to find a locking windage turret or a nice exposed turret that doesn't move easily as I know I could just leave the cap off but seems a bit dicey.

I see mostly positive reviews on the NSX 2.5-10 x42 but I hear the eye relief is a bit tight, and the reticle is not ideal...it does have an exposed windage turret that doesn't seem to lock but reports say it doesn't shift around in the field.

I see mostly positive reviews for the Zeiss V4 4-16 x44 but it is a bit heavier, and I wonder if I would benefit more from the lower 2.5 magnification with the NSX when in the timber for closer shots..this is the only one I found with an exposed locking windage turret.

I see a lot of love for the Vx5HD and Vx6HD but it has a capped windage turret...

Mixed but positive reviews for the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x44 but it has a capped windage turret...

I checked out a few other brands (swaro, leica, Sig, trijicon) and haven't seem a locking or exposed windage turret.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or opinions thanks!

I just picked up a new win mag for a lightweight hunting rifle as kind of a go anywhere, do anything build.

I am looking to put a light-ish optic on it but I'm a bit torn on some options. Ideally, I like an illuminated reticle for when in the dark timber early. I don't really need more than 10-15 magnification for my hunting nor do I need a 50-56 objective as I'm trying to keep it compact in general. I want to keep the lower magnification below 4 if possible as I hunt all over the place (thick timber and more open spaces). I also am not a huge fan of turret caps...but it seems most high end scopes for hunting have a locking turret for elevation, but a cap for wind. I dial on each shot, so it would be great to find a locking windage turret or a nice exposed turret that doesn't move easily as I know I could just leave the cap off but seems a bit dicey.

I see mostly positive reviews on the NSX 2.5-10 x42 but I hear the eye relief is a bit tight, and the reticle is not ideal...it does have an exposed windage turret that doesn't seem to lock but reports say it doesn't shift around in the field.

I see mostly positive reviews for the Zeiss V4 4-16 x44 but it is a bit heavier, and I wonder if I would benefit more from the lower 2.5 magnification with the NSX when in the timber for closer shots..this is the only one I found with an exposed locking windage turret.

I see a lot of love for the Vx5HD and Vx6HD but it has a capped windage turret...

Mixed but positive reviews for the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x44 but it has a capped windage turret...

I checked out a few other brands (swaro, leica, Sig, trijicon) and haven't seem a locking or exposed windage turret.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or opinions thanks!
Why are so worried about a capped windage turret? Are you dialing wind every shot?

OP
AFmaryland

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
Why are so worried about a capped windage turret? Are you dialing wind every shot?
Not every shot, but if what I'm looking for exists (and from what I can tell it does between the NF and the Zeiss) I figured I'd try to see if anyone had some ideas. I've lost caps before, takes bit more time, and I like locking turrets so I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more locking windage options out there for hunting. It's not the end of the world, but if I'm buying a scope for the long haul I'll try to find it if I can.

SDHNTR

WKR
Allow me to summarize hundreds of pages for you…

NF is good. A strip of electrical tape is your solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Trijicon is good too. The tape will work on it too. The special tape I like doesn’t care what brand scope it gets used on. It’s good stuff. Dialing for wind - never.

Zeiss sucks. Leupold blows. Vortex gargles the balls. Swarovski does all 3, but does it fancier, pinky out.

Next?

Last edited:
OP
AFmaryland

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have plenty of experience shooting while not on a bench?
Lightweight and win mag is a chore for most to shoot accurately.
Always building the experience but my last rifle was a 30-06 so it’s an increase. I added a TiPro 5 to help with recoil and the overall weight is 9lb so we shall see how it does.

If you have a good reticle there is never a reason to dial for wind in a hunting situation, probably competition as well.

One of the NF’s should be your choice. The NX8 is the NF with a tight eye box. NXS isn’t as bad.

Schmidt & Bender would be my next choice

Not sure if Khales makes locking turrets or not.

Leupold VX5 if you must, might be next.

Steer clear of Zeiss, Swaro and Vortex if you are indeed dialing a lot.

Also if you have time to dial wind you also have time to insure a non-locking turret is where you want it when you pull the trigger.

I have scopes with both. I prefer the ones without. Just my .02.

Last edited:
I've run nearly all the mainstream brands of scopes.

Due to issues with vortex, leupold, zeis etc and due to FORM's testing I've switched all my hunting rigs to nightforce.

The NXS line of optic do not have any eye box issues.

The NX8 has a tighter eye box but its really no issue if you position your scope correctly and have a proper comb height.

I've run SHV, NXS, NX8 and recently picked up an ATACR.

Go nightforce or Trijicon or even SWFA. IMO in that order.