Stuck CB in suppressor and unscrewed my whole barrel. I didn’t know I was so strong

Duh

WKR
Ok joking about the so strong part but my CB is stuck in the ultra 9 suppressor. I cleaned the threads and reaplied the whole thing with loctite. It was on my Seekins Havak in 300 win mag.

Well just a bit ago I went to try and unscrew it by hand and ended up unthreading the barrel from the action. I was cranking on it but I don’t think it was that hard. Anyone else ever have that happen or know if these barrels are supposed to come off that easy? I’d call Seekins but obviously it’s Saturday.

The gun was shooting amazing before this but I’m wondering if I was shooting an unsafe gun for a while?

Also, this damn things still stuck and I don’t have a barrel vise to put the barrel in. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_7485.jpeg
    IMG_7485.jpeg
    619 KB · Views: 194

Clark33

WKR
I can't help getting it out, but I went with this to mount my tbac to all my rifles. https://www.area419.com/product/hellfire_suppressor_mount/

The mount lives in the suppressor, then you buy the area419 muzzle adapter for like $20 a pop. From then on the suppressor threads on with a left hand turn, so when you take it off with the right hand turn it tightens anything up IF it should happen to get loose, but I haven't had that issue yet.

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I can't help getting it out, but I went with this to mount my tbac to all my rifles. https://www.area419.com/product/hellfire_suppressor_mount/

The mount lives in the suppressor, then you buy the area419 muzzle adapter for like $20 a pop. From then on the suppressor threads on with a left hand turn, so when you take it off with the right hand turn it tightens anything up IF it should happen to get loose, but I haven't had that issue yet.
Yeah I’m going to make the switch to the 419 or the Hanson breaks now.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
You said no barrel vise, but if you have a bench vise get some magnetic soft jaws on amazon for $15 and hold your barrel while you spin off your can. If no vise, you could use some clamps to hold the barrel to a bench or board.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
You said no barrel vise, but if you have a bench vise get some magnetic soft jaws on amazon for $15 and hold your barrel while you spin off your can. If no vise, you could use some clamps to hold the barrel to a bench or board.
Yeah I’m headed to get some softer clamps. I still can’t believe the barrel spun off so easily.

waspocrew

WKR
I also went the 419 route for my 338 Ultra. My dad has the Ultra 7 and his CB mount was also stuck in the suppressor, which basically makes it a direct thread can. It’s not a problem if swapping over to rifles without other mounting devices in place.

I was able to get the mount out of the suppressor after a few shots to heat things up.

Again, the 419 mount makes things really easy.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
You didnt specify which loctite, but if it wasn't red; use red

Then spray/soak in penetrant

Last edited:
You can probably use soft jaws in a vise to get the suppressor off, but you’re going to need a barrel vise and action wrench to reinstall your barrel properly.

As far as safety, barrel torque isn’t super critical as long as it doesn’t back off the shoulder while shooting. I’d retorque it to ~80-100ft/lbs so it doesn’t happen again.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
rocksett should be used on the cb brake to ensure it doesn't unscrew from your barrel.

@Formidilosus just spoke on barrels not being torqued to proper spec and the issues that can be caused on the shoot2hunt podcast Friday episode.

I'd buy a proper barrel vise, torque wrench, and action wrench....and some rocksett.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I also went the 419 route for my 338 Ultra. My dad has the Ultra 7 and his CB mount was also stuck in the suppressor, which basically makes it a direct thread can. It’s not a problem if swapping over to rifles without other mounting devices in place.

I was able to get the mount out of the suppressor after a few shots to heat things up.

Again, the 419 mount makes things really easy.
So the two rifles I have the CBs mounted on use a different amount of washers. If I were to take the other CB off the gun I want to use this week and leave leave the washers on it with the carbon welded CB, I’m guessing I should be ok with POI. I’ll check it obviously but the shitty part is I used red lock tight on the Seekins so it’s going to be a pain to get it off haha.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
You can probably use soft jaws in a vise to get the suppressor off, but you’re going to need a barrel vise and action wrench to reinstall your barrel properly.

As far as safety, barrel torque isn’t super critical as long as it doesn’t back off the shoulder while shooting. I’d retorque it to ~80-100ft/lbs so it doesn’t happen again.
Gotcha. Just went and picked up a vise and soft jaws. I’ll have my smith put the barrel back on. I read somewhere that Seekins torque spec for the barrel was 50 ft/lbs, which seems kinda low. But regardless, I’d prefer it be put back on by a competent person haha.

HGL

FNG
Whack the crap out of it with a rubber mallet, that helps break up the "carbon lock" that has siezed up on the threads. This was advice I got directly from Thunderbeast years ago.

Lawnboi

WKR
Did you have the CB loc tited on to begin with.

I always worried about getting a cb stuck but after removing a few that had been red loctite on I have no worry

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Whack the crap out of it with a rubber mallet, that helps break up the "carbon lock" that has siezed up on the threads. This was advice I got directly from Thunderbeast years ago.
Thanks. Getting ready to beat the hell out of it.
Did you have the CB loc tited on to begin with.
I didn’t have the red loctite on this gun to begin with. I only shot it 12 times to check zero and didn’t think it would have been that big of a deal. Ooops haha

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Well I beat the piss out of it, left it in the freezer for 6 hours, and just about ripped this vise out of the bench. The loctite gave first and the CB mount is in there still haha. Think I’ll clean out the threads and put it on the other gun for next week. Is it safe to say that this CB mount will only get a stronger carbon weld the more I shoot it? I honestly don’t mind it being a direct thread, as long as I retain the consistency from gun to gun. I also have a banish 30 I could use in the mean time.

Attachments

• IMG_7487.jpeg
    IMG_7487.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 87

wesfromky

WKR
One thing I do like about otter creek - the muzzle devices are socket compatible, have wrench flats, and they ship with a vice block holder for the can. I got my mount stuck in my first dead air can, now I rockset and torque them to spec. Haven't had an issue since.

Some people have luck getting them hot, then they can break the carbon lock. Also, strap wrenches might help.

Lawnboi

WKR
The freezer might not have helped you.

Knock on wood I havnt had an issue with red loctite. I’d put it on, let it cure, go shoot the gun till it’s warm, and twist it off

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I’ll put it on a different gun and get it hot.