Struggling to find western hunting partners

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
same here. i'm in Maryland and have spent the last 3 years teaching myself to bow hunt. my brother lives mostly in Juneau AK at the moment so that opens up some Ak options for me, but Elk would likely be solo. there's a very small chance you find someone else who's hunting style and personality matches up with yours, but there's a much better chance it doesn't. I've decided to stop wasting time and start gearing up for solo hunts.

if you're posting to vet possible hunting partners, let's talk. we might be able to coordinate solo hunts at the same time, (or maybe youll be able to with someone else on here) - that way theres some camraderie/ backcountry support, but nobody's left relying on the other for anything since it's planned as s simultaneous solo. maybe thatsa dumb idea i dont know. ive spent a while mostly lurking on here and to be honest, most of the "looking for hunting partners" threads don't seem to result in new partnerships out of the blue.

tysonmax

FNG
You don't have to torture yourself with an epic drive, or a dyi backcountry solo hunt, to have a great and enjoyable western hunt.

I fly out and hunt with an outfitter that has great accommodations. I've befriended many of the guides I've hunted with and also shared camp with lots of great and interesting people.

OP, don't deprive yourself of enriching experiences and memories because you feel that you need to go with a partner. Do some research. Book an outfitter and a flight, and go have a blast. Don't wait too long. Tomorrow is never promised.
I'm so glad this thread was started because it's opened my eyes quite a bit. Being in Florida the distance and time requirement turns off the few friends I have that have any interest in going out West. I've been wanting and planning a trip for a couple years now only to keep getting left at the altar by one friend or another when it comes time to actually commit to the hunt. I think I'll take this advice and use an outfitter on my own next fall and tell everyone to pound sand! :) I guess the only positive is that over the years I've slowly bought almost all the equipment I would need and have had a ton of time behind my rifle to get it fine tuned and very accurate out to 500yds.

Plagioclase

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting discussion. I've been going out west for elk for 20+ years - I go every year whether I have someone to go or not. I've gone solo a handful of times and to be honest feel better with at least 1 person in camp that knows exactly where I am. I'm 59 and have been in some sketchy backcountry situations. If that's how the end comes, so be it but there is comfort in knowing someone is watching out for you.

With that said - GO! The biggest issue I see is that it takes 3-4-5 years to figure out how to hunt elk - where they stay during the day, where they eat, how they act/react to pressure. You can read all the books, watch all the videos, do all the on line courses you want but nothing is going to teach you how to hunt elk better than doing it. Day after day, year after year.

My biggest tip: don't ever give up, keep at it. Keep grinding - but do so intelligently. I see guys every year walk the same logging road, hunt the exact same spot, do the exact same thing day after day. And don't kill an elk. Use your brain. The null hypothesis (i.e. what hasn't worked) provides info on where not to hunt/look. Miles + sweat equity + knowledge = dead Elk.

Be a bit careful on who you take. I've had a few duds through the years and at least 1 dangerous situation involving a drunk dude and a stove. I do a zero alcohol camp for that reason. A jackass in camp will ruin the whole experience. It's better to go by yourself and learn to deal with your fears whatever they may be. Watch out for heros - guys who "aren't afraid of bears", "walk 20 miles in a day", "carry out an elk in 2 trips". Mostly just BS.

I tend to pick people based on how I think they will handle adversity - because you will run into adversity. You dont want whiners, bitchers, complainers, or quitters. A good partner will lift you up when you're struggling, help you carry an elk out at midnight, do more than his share of chores, and work with you so you both have a good experience. These guys are hard to find.

But simply GO!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Lost connection with my best hunting partner and friend a few years ago and then lost him completely 3 years ago.
Started hunting out west 20 years ago with a guy I met through the RMEF. Good hunt , bad timing.
The last 10-12 years have been solo. It’s a tough decision to make. You quickly realize that you are responsible for everything, there’s no one else to blame. Some people can’t handle that idea.
There’s tons of threads out there about gear recommendations. Check them out and you’ll start seeing similarities.
Make sure your gear works and you know how to use it. Dark, in the mountains after a rain storm is not the time to find out that you can’t start a fire.
InReach has been a game changer for me. I no longer have to worry about things back home.
None of us are younger today than we were yesterday. Get off your butt, stop complaining and go hunt. You may find your next and best hunting partner out west doing the same thing.

I prefer to hunt solo most of the time. My Dad and I hunt together 90% of the time. He just turned 68 and still going strong, my boy is 7 and showing interest. With that said there is something about occasionally being completely alone hunting how I want to hunt.

EdP

WKR
I love hunting solo in the backcountry here in the east, but at my age (68) I am not up to doing it 1600 miles from home. Solo mule deer or antelope from a hotel is a different matter and I will make the drive and do the hunt no problem. My solution is to go with an outfitter. It gets me out and away from the hotel as I prefer but with back-up. Last year I did an outfitted MD hunt in Wy. My hunting buddy who was supposed to go with me passed away unexpectedly the month prior to the hunt so I went solo. There were 5 other guys in camp and only 2 had come together so 4 of the 6 of us were solo. I was the oldest and the youngest was mid 30's. Just shows that you are not alone in having trouble finding partners. My friends tend to fit into one of three categories: 1) not interested, 2) interested but insufficient funds, 3) interested and with funds but not a good match for that type of trip.

Any tips for a man with 2 toddler sons?

Not easy! Give up your own time hunting and focus on your kids lives. Spend time with them. Read to them. Help them with their homework. Play with them. Discipline them. If you love them and they love you, they will want to spend time with you. Even when they become adults. Hunting is just a passion you share with them when they are young that grows as they mature. Dream big together when they are young about the adventures you will go on together! Then plan, prepare, and make it happen!

Attachments

• 1930999_35473541308_2277_n.jpg
    1930999_35473541308_2277_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 35
  • Molly and Joe with Molly's DIY CO Mule deer.jpg
    Molly and Joe with Molly's DIY CO Mule deer.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Steve and Joe with  Steve's DIY CO  mule deer.JPG
    Steve and Joe with Steve's DIY CO mule deer.JPG
    507.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Molly and Joe with Molly's nice 8.jpg
    Molly and Joe with Molly's nice 8.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 38

Dougwise

FNG
Coastal NC here. I plan on getting out west for a back country hunt in the next few years SOLO. I have been a few times with people and its VERY hard to find the right fit for a hunting partner - especially unguided western hunts. I have about 6 points in WY for Elk/Mule Deer/Antelope - I plan on starting with Antelope and then looking for a good area to hunt deer/elk over the following years.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat. Just go. I'm 2 years in and have taken 2 elk, a moose, a bear, and a mule deer. All diy

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat. Just go. I'm 2 years in and have taken 2 elk, a moose, a bear, and a mule deer. All diy
I'd also add I have 2 toddlers as well. Be the best dad and husband you can the rest of the year. Make sure your finances are in order. Make sure you aren't using all your work vacation hunting only. Make sure your wife can do the things she wants to do in life and she'll reciprocate.

Afhunter1

WKR
I have three kids and they all hunt with me as well, 2 boys (15 & 21) and a girl (19). One thing I see a lot of fathers not doing that I think is so important when your kids are young is to show interests in their passions too. If they don’t want to go hunt today but want to play a video game, or have a nerf war, or want to make jewlery, etc. that’s fine and do it with them. If they want you to play with them and you are always leaving to go hunting and making them upset they won’t hate you but they may hate hunting for taking you away all the time.

Mcribs

FNG
i take my 4 & 7 yo old pretend hunting all the time, it’s a blast. Make weapons, etc. Hoping to plant the seed..

I’ve been soLo DYI most of my life, and I love it. I do think I’d learn some species faster with an expert partner, but those don’t grow on trees

JiminAZ

FNG
This Thread will give you perspective on choosing your hunting partners wisely. Both entertaining and depressing!

Like others said, just go. I took up hunting as an adult, so I sort of had to break my own trail. Fortunately I already had backwoods skills. Worked out fine but there was a learning curve for sure.

If you can afford a guide, your learning curve will be faster. Expensive education but OTOH life is short and the faster you learn the better your results will be in time.

Jimss

WKR
The only guided hunt I've done was fishing the great lakes. I learned a bunch and would have been spinning my wheels without the expertise and advice for gear, tackle, and fishing hotspots learned from a local. There is something to be said for having local knowledge of access, hunting techniques, timing of hunt, gear, field judging techniques...the list goes on! Obviously some of this can be figured out going solo but can be a high learning curve and may take several seasons to really figure out.

It can be tough for someone totally new to an area and/or species. It may take several years to start figuring things out. It tends to take more and more years to draw high demand Western US tags. Once a tag is drawn it can be a challenge getting to know the terrain, access, buck and bull hangouts, and learn all of the logistics associated with a hunt. Obviously it helps to have ample time prior to the season to scout. For someone that lives hundreds of miles from a new area it can be tough to learn in 1 season. For someone obligated to work and family it makes things even tougher. It's possible to do some of the research at home but there is still lots to learn once to a new area. Obviously the more time you have to research and scout the better!

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Same but for the age. I'm 47 with the heart of a much younger man and the joints of a geriatric infantryman.

Lots of guys love the idea when it's mentioned. Nobody wants to put gear on and go train or put time into actual planning.

Currently in rehab from a nearly career ending back injury and I'm really weighing what options I have left to me.

TheHammer

WKR
Hunting with partners is tough. You are all never going to be on the same page every step of the way. The best way I have found to do it is share camp. Then each day is each individual’s own experience. Share your thoughts and game plans so each other has an idea, not that you end up screwing each other up. Share intel, can’t be in multiple spots at a time, so an extra set of eyes does not hurt, sometimes. Gear, if you are committed to making this happen on multiple occasions, getting good gear off the bat is important. Leveling up costs a lot more in the long run. Get your mind right, get everything at home&work* squared away to be as focused as possible, every facet needs to be taken care of to help mental capacity for when the going gets tough, set rules for yourself. Hopefully you can find some success.

Last edited:

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread.

I'm 39, and live in Northern VA. Having a hard time finding committed hunting partners myself. I am finally at the place in life where financially I can do a big hunt once every other year or so.

Haven't been out west yet, but that's next on my list. I definitely want to do 5 or 6 hunts out west before I hit 50.