Struggling to find western hunting partners

I live out in North Florida and most of the people I hunt whitetail or Turkey with out here are content with that and have no interest in heading out west. My TX friends who would be interested have young kids and this is not an option for them fiscally, or timing-wise. I’d rather not go solo but worry I’m missing out on valuable time in the mountains…would like to take advantage of my 30s.

Anyone else in a similar boat or tips for finding western hunting pals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem finding hunting partners that want to push themselves in the backcountry. Very few people I’ve met are wired this way.

Solo backcountry hunting is dangerous tho. A lot can go wrong even with being 100% prepared and doing everything right. Much smaller margin of error safety-wise than going with a hunting partner.

But I second previous opinions that going solo is still better than staying home or going with the wrong partner. Just prep like your life depends on it and be careful out there!

Driving to work and the grocery store can be dangerous. But you do it every single day!!!!
Good for you if you’ve never had a close call in the backcountry. Most folks aren’t out there every single day. Minimizing the safety risks is dangerous, especially for those new to the game.

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m having trouble breaking in to the western big game world. I live in Washington and have been hunting solo for a few years in state without success.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m in FL and gave up for the most part. I do almost everything solo.
The last time I went on a hunt with someone I sent them on a stalk and they ended up hitting the panic button and calling a chopper to pick them up. I didn’t know this and spent quite some time looking for him, found his pack, assumed I was searching for his body…. Was not a good time

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much the same boat. I’ll likely be solo for the first several years. I anticipate if I have success I’ll have people asking to go along. I can’t even get people to vomit to buying points or gear.

dtrkyman

WKR
I hunt solo mostly, sucks but got sick of guys saying they would go only to weazle out!

Drive across half the country solo regularly. I can knock out 14 hrs pretty easy, leave early AM and take advantage of all the day light possible, try not to drive too far after dark anymore though!

Poser

WKR
Even living in a Western Mountain town, it’s very difficult to find partners who’s motivations, fitness and sensibilities align with yours. I have a total of 4 people I’ll hunt with and only 2 of them are even local. It is what it is.

I lived in Dallas Texas most of my adult life and in 15 years of going out west only got one guy my age who came out and he was too nervous to hike in bear country after dark. Only one other willing to go and he is 20+ years my senior. Finding someone with the work ethic to do it is a nightmare. Let alone with the means to get out there and skills to hang.