Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

Jimbee

WKR
Maybe I missed it, have these been used in the drop testing? My only wonder is deviation from traditional pillars and bedding on the Rokstock.
FWIW, I mimicked the drop test with 2 tikka/SWFA/sportsmatch/Stocky's VG combos. They both passed. The 6.5 has the smaller barrel channel and initially showed a shift on my first attempt where I left a 9" TB supressor attached. I pulled it apart and sanded out the barrel channel and removed the supressor for the drops and reinstalled for the shots. I also shot 10rd groups unscrewing and reinstalling supressors beforehand. The second gun is a 6cm. Both are torqued to 65in/lbs. and have small washers between the plastic bottom "metal" and stock.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If the Rokstock + T3X is less than 10-11 lb, is the key phrase above then "the stock designs do not allow for as much shootability as a chassis"?

As in- “the current stock designs”.

Dobermann

WKR
As in- “the current stock designs”.
Yep, but I think in that quote, you said that for a 6.5, "a well designed 9 to 11lb rifle is a comfortable spot", but it looks like the Rokstock could make for a lighter package than this (let's assume an SWFA 3-9 for scope choice) - is that right?

If so, does that mean that the Rokstock is effectively so well designed that the performance will help outweigh some of the costs of going lighter (in terms of shootability and recoil management), while giving the benefits of a lighter rifle to carry?

Yep, but I think in that quote, you said that for a 6.5, "a well designed 9 to 11lb rifle is a comfortable spot", but it looks like the Rokstock could make for a lighter package than this (let's assume an SWFA 3-9 for scope choice) - is that right?

If so, does that mean that the Rokstock is effectively so well designed that the performance will help outweigh some of the costs of going lighter (in terms of shootability and recoil management), while giving the benefits of a lighter rifle to carry?
This exact question has been going through my head. I've been debating on waiting for the rokstock for my 6.5 or sticking it in a bravo.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Correct. A properly designed stock offers better control which means it can be lighter to achieve the same “shootability”. The Rokstock is being made with that design.

atmat

WKR
Correct. A properly designed stock offers better control which means it can be lighter to achieve the same “shootability”. The Rokstock is being made with that design.
Is it fair to say that the majority of the significant improvements will be made surrounding trigger reach and rear end? That any changes to the fore end will result in relatively minimal improvement compared to the other changes?

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is it fair to say that the majority of the significant improvements will be made surrounding trigger reach and rear end? That any changes to the fore end will result in relatively minimal improvement compared to the other changes?

Yes, that’s fair to say.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
I think Odd1out is referring to the anticipated Model 70 stock, rather than the Tikka RokStock(?), just for the sake of clarification (and asking for a friend ;) ), are you able to confirm barrel channel on the upcoming Model 70 stock? Don't want to derail this thread, just curious

lak2004

WKR
I think Odd1out is referring to the anticipated Model 70 stock, rather than the Tikka RokStock(?), just for the sake of clarification (and asking for a friend ;) ), are you able to confirm barrel channel on the upcoming Model 70 stock? Don't want to derail this thread, just curious
Doh, didn't see that but I'll assume it will be made for either sporter or bull like most of their others.
Sorry for my quick reply without fully reading

@Stockys any additional insight for the mod 70? I think there will be some interest in that stock as not a lot of options exist outside of spending a bunch for a custom inlet/finished stock.

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Doh, didn't see that but I'll assume it will be made for either sporter or bull like most of their others.
Sorry for my quick reply without fully reading

@Stockys any additional insight for the mod 70? I think there will be some interest in that stock as not a lot of options exist outside of spending a bunch for a custom inlet/finished stock.

Yes we will have sporter barrel and heavy barrel channel inlets on the Winchester 70.

We're doing the engineering now on the Model 70s so we're still tweaking stock designs and such to accommodate the receiver properly. Once it's finalized we'll get molds cut and then the lamination process will start. Any questions you have that I can answer?

lak2004

WKR
Yes we will have sporter barrel and heavy barrel channel inlets on the Winchester 70.

We're doing the engineering now on the Model 70s so we're still tweaking stock designs and such to accommodate the receiver properly. Once it's finalized we'll get molds cut and then the lamination process will start. Any questions you have that I can answer?
Will it be similar in stock design to the rokstock or vg2?

Any idea on bottom metal configuration? I assume factory inlet options but which ones (blind, 2 pc, 1 pc)? Will there be any option for aftermarket dbm that will work with the win70 action?

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Will it be similar in stock design to the rokstock or vg2?

Any idea on bottom metal configuration? I assume factory inlet options but which ones (blind, 2 pc, 1 pc)? Will there be any option for aftermarket dbm that will work with the win70 action?
The current design for the Winchester in the vertical grip will be similar to the VGH with the shorter trigger reach. The bottom metal inlet we have done so far is the 1 pc. If we get enough interest in the 2 piece then we'll do that as well. I don't see us doing the blind mag option though.

lak2004

WKR
The current design for the Winchester in the vertical grip will be similar to the VGH with the shorter trigger reach. The bottom metal inlet we have done so far is the 1 pc. If we get enough interest in the 2 piece then we'll do that as well. I don't see us doing the blind mag option though.
Awesome thanks, 1 pc works for me! I like that you're going to shorten the reach to trigger, that will be good. You all rock!

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome thanks, 1 pc works for me! I like that you're going to shorten the reach to trigger, that will be good. You all rock!
The only models we've had a longer trigger reach is on the Tikkas unfortunately. The only reason we do is because we made the Tikka fit into an existing mold. Because we've covered most inlets in the existing models, we will be designing rifle specific stocks going forward.

Spoonbill

WKR
Will there be a left hand option for the model 70?

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to echo this even though said before... @Stockys the idea of light, rigid, well designed, reasonably affordable, vertical grip carbon stocks on the horizon for something other than Rem 700 clones/howa/savage is very exciting... has me thinking about projects/builds on rifles I don't even have (yet) and a bunch of the ones that I do. Keep on trucking and thank you in advance.