Son's first big game tag, Advice for a demanding father.

OP
B
I took my nephew (16) out in 051 for the opener last week on his first big game hunt. He was super excited to be out there “with the guys” (me and his dad) and we were super excited for him. My biggest takeaways were that he was doing a lot of this for the first time, stuff we take for granted, and I should have just let him figure it out instead of micromanaging / sweating some of the small stuff. When it came time to shoot, being very encouraging despite some missed shots, and when he did make contact, making sure his follow up shot was not rushed went very well. Little compliments went a long way and cost me nothing…”great job keeping up buddy”, “you’re doing a really good job keeping your binos on that deer”, etc. seeing how excited he was after the dust settled, man nothing can replace that memory!
Awesome, fantastic Buck, congrats!

SWOHTR

WKR
Years ago, I came to the conclusion that “the point of deer hunting is to shoot deer.”

Basically, go and have fun and don’t put some non-mandated metric in front of him.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Relax, calm down. Do you get upset when you don’t fill a tag? Why get upset if his doesn’t get filled? It isn’t about the killing, in fact, that is the least important part of the entire experience.

I guided my kids one on one focusing on safety, thinking and teaching on my part. After a while we would split up briefly and meet at designated spots we could see. It gave them courage and independence. After a while I let them plan the hunts and just did my part. It took them a while but soon I worked them up to being dependable hunting partners.

Your job is to teach not criticize.

def90

WKR
My son drew his first big game tag this year ( Mule Deer, Area 6 Nevada) he is 14yo. I have coached him sports most of his life and can be very demanding of him. We have been preparing physically (Me mostly as he is in in great shape), shooting and getting comfortable behind the .243 he will be using, looking at field photos of deer and talking about shot placement, and making sure all gear and vehicles are ready to roll. I'm a seasoned hunter and know the area very well but this is the first time taking my own son on a big game hunt. I want him to be successful and have FUN.

My Question and reason for this thread.

What other preparations can I be doing to with him to hopefully have a successful outcome? As most of us know things can get contentious between dad and son. Is there something specific that you did with your kids that made the experience a good one?

Thanks for the advice.

Haven't read any other posts so...

Anyway, a successful Hunt will be a fun hunt. No pressure in regards to the outcome.

A ton of pressure and back seat driving leading to an unsuccessful hunt will ruin a kid.

hunterjmj

WKR
Been taking my girls since they were 2 and 4. Each year they want explore a bit more and I only go as far as they can go. They've learned to be quiet, read the wind and have fun. We've hunted in snow, heat and everything in between. Just have fun, make it enjoyable and don't go hardcore until they are ready.

Rich M

WKR
We leave next Wednesday, I’ll be sure to report back once we return. Spent the morning shooting today, practiced from several different positions.
You guys been having fun getting ready - hoping this will be the best hunt of your life.

Tod osier

WKR
Lot of good advice about taking it easy and making it his hunt.

You need to be prepared that it is especially hard to take it easy and make it his hunt when YOU are mentally and physically tired from busting your ass trying to take it easy and make it his hunt. It can be exhausting trying to do it right. I have a few spectacularly bad parenting examples from when I was worn out trying to make the hunt as fun and easy on the kid as possible.

hunt1up

WKR
Don't be a demanding father. Nothing worse than listening to the sports dads in the bleachers ragging on their kids during a football game. I used to feel bad for some of my teammates when we played high school baseball and football because their dad was the A-hole in the bleachers.

1666020861161.png

Don't try to force your style or intensity on your son. Somebody on here already said, and it's spot on, be a guide first- provide information, support, and make sure he's having fun. In camp be a Dad and just be present and have fun.

Taking my daughter on her first elk hunt in the Big Horns next week. She's the one holding a tag, and I'm there to help guide her and (hopefully) pack out some meat. We've killed half a dozen whitetails in Iowa together, and I get teary-eyed thinking about each one of those hunts. She graduates and goes to college out of state next fall, and this will likely be our last big trip together for a long time. I plan to make the most of it, and I suggest you do the same. :)

have you been taking him hunting since he was a little kid or is this going to be his first time even being out there? it makes a difference? I never forced anything on my kids. they have just always been along for the hunts if they wanted to. they played a lot of sports too and my son is just now wrapping up college baseball. none of it was ever forced on him. by your own description of yourself and your interactions with your son it doesn't sound like a pleasant father son relationship...so good luck. chill out, relax, enjoy the hunt.

S.Clancy

WKR
I got to experience both sides. First, my dad was a maniac when it came to hunting. I can remember leaving the trailer at 3 or 4 in the morning riding in somewhere to elk hunt when I was 12. Luckily for him, I was wired the same way.
Fast forward half a dozen years, I am in the position of teaching my 2 youngest siblings to hunt because my dad died unexpectedly. I was young and love to charge (still do) but I had to adjust a little. The only rule I had is that we work hard. I remember hauling a forkie out a couple miles and packing my youngest brother's doe mule deer out almost 3 miles. I don't know if I taught them anything but they both still hunt, maybe not as fanatically as I do, but they are still going. We also had some pretty miserable experiences along the way.

Awesome thread and responses being that this is also the first year that my 12 yo son has a mule deer tag. Appreciate everyone's insights and keeping it in perspective. Had the best time I've ever experienced last week taking my 2 boys out. Didn't take a deer, but am more pumped than ever to get back out there with them.

OP
B
have you been taking him hunting since he was a little kid or is this going to be his first time even being out there? it makes a difference? I never forced anything on my kids. they have just always been along for the hunts if they wanted to. they played a lot of sports too and my son is just now wrapping up college baseball. none of it was ever forced on him. by your own description of yourself and your interactions with your son it doesn't sound like a pleasant father son relationship...so good luck. chill out, relax, enjoy the hunt.
He’s been hunting waterfowl, upland, and small game most of his life.

def90

WKR

My son drew his first big game tag this year ( Mule Deer, Area 6 Nevada) he is 14yo. I have coached him sports most of his life and can be very demanding of him. We have been preparing physically (Me mostly as he is in in great shape), shooting and getting comfortable behind the .243 he will be using, looking at field photos of deer and talking about shot placement, and making sure all gear and vehicles are ready to roll. I'm a seasoned hunter and know the area very well but this is the first time taking my own son on a big game hunt. I want him to be successful and have FUN.

My Question and reason for this thread.

What other preparations can I be doing to with him to hopefully have a successful outcome? As most of us know things can get contentious between dad and son. Is there something specific that you did with your kids that made the experience a good one?

Thanks for the advice.
Hunting wise it doesn’t sound like there’s much more prep to be done. Maybe just really getting comfortable in hunting situations with the rifle. Not just shooting from a bench but practicing on uneven terrain with a less than perfect rest (ie. pack or tree or even kneeling). Then just make sure he’s comfortable out there. Nothing worse than taking someone on their first hunt and their boots tear up their feet or they don’t have a jacket that keeps them warm enough. Most importantly, enjoy the hunt and being with each other. Take pictures, it may sound cheesy but those are memories

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Relax and have fun, make sure the trip is successful, regardless if you punch a tag or not. We don't need wild game to survive these days so the time together outdoors is what matters most. I follow my middle son around the turkey woods in the spring not because I want to shoot a turkey, but because I want to spend time with him doing something he enjoys!