Son drew National Elk Refuge permit this weekend!

It’s too early for the refuge. A beautiful place to be but if you are all about killing elk you might be disappointed.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
I just got off the phone with the game and fish office and they said same thing. Not any/many elk on refuge now. I already booked our flights and rooms and car. Not sure what to do but we still may be coming out just for the experience. This dang kid just can’t seem to catch a break. Ha ha
It’s too early for the refuge. A beautiful place to be but if you are all about killing elk you might be disappointed.

go_deep

WKR
I just got off the phone with the game and fish office and they said same thing. Not any/many elk on refuge now. I already booked our flights and rooms and car. Not sure what to do but we still may be coming out just for the experience. This dang kid just can’t seem to catch a break. Ha ha

It only takes one. Giver heck and have a great memorable time with your son!
Let us know how it goes regardless of what happens.
Good luck, have fun, and safe travels!

Last edited:
Yeah that jives with my experience. I've done the refuge hunt more times than I can count. I've killed or been apart of a bunch of kills on there. Buddys kid drew the bull permit and they're gonna try for it over Thanksgiving.

Here's my thoughts. Your probably not gonna get anything. Way to warm right now. Wyo has kinda had an Indian summer. (I'm working outside today and it's 50° not the typical Wyo Nov) Elk are still in transition or hanging high. I don't usually put in for those hunts until Dec unless there's a lot of snow on the ground already. Snow moves em.

All that said you should go. Storm is supposed to hit Thanksgiving day. It will cause some elk that are in the treeline to drop down almost immediately. Sometimes you'll have bachelor bull groups in there sometimes not. If you do find a bachelor group you've basically hit the lotto. Set up, pick a BOAL and smoke em. DM me if you need any more info

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah that jives with my experience. I've done the refuge hunt more times than I can count. I've killed or been apart of a bunch of kills on there. Buddys kid drew the bull permit and they're gonna try for it over Thanksgiving.

Here's my thoughts. Your probably not gonna get anything. Way to warm right now. Wyo has kinda had an Indian summer. (I'm working outside today and it's 50° not the typical Wyo Nov) Elk are still in transition or hanging high. I don't usually put in for those hunts until Dec unless there's a lot of snow on the ground already. Snow moves em.

All that said you should go. Storm is supposed to hit Thanksgiving day. It will cause some elk that are in the treeline to drop down almost immediately. Sometimes you'll have bachelor bull groups in there sometimes not. If you do find a bachelor group you've basically hit the lotto. Set up, pick a BOAL and smoke em. DM me if you need any more info
What’s the snow accumulation look like this weekend? Maybe some cows will come down and a 2.5 year old rag will be with mom still. Whack him and head home! 😜

Just go. Just because the majority of elk aren’t migrating doesn’t mean you can’t find small bands of cows down low. Hunt every day like it’s the first and enjoy it. You’ll have fun and there’s always a chance to kill an elk. You’ll be hunting some of the best elk country around. The only place you can’t kill an elk is back home. Good luck!

wytx

WKR
Some hotels have hunters rates, check out the Elk Country Inn and one of their cabins. Other cabins right next door too but I forgot their name.

Make sure you go downtown and wave on the webcam to your family, we actually used one to track bison at Kelly one year, there is an NER webcam on this link too:
https://www.jacksonholechamber.com/plan-your-visit/webcams/

Good luck and hope some move down for you. If Jon Stephens is still a GW there look him up for info, great guy.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
Heading over now both my kids got the permit for the first hunt. If we have any success I will let you know. Guessing you have the Saturday Sunday hunt
Thank you that would be awesome. We will be “around” all day Friday so if you need any help packing elk or anything just pm me and we will help. We do have the Sat/Sun Permit.

These guys can help you get one out (for a fee) if you get one down too far from one of the retrieval roads. They also do guided hunts on the refuge. I used them in 2016 to take a cow bison and again in 2017 to take a cow elk. They are good guys. They have horses and the experience to know where the elk hang out. Probably already booked for your hunt time frame but would still probably be able to drag one out for you.

My buddy and I will be there hunting cows Monday -Wednesday on the refuge. We have unit 80 cow tags and will hunt National Forest on Sunday and maybe Monday to Thursday if no cows on the refuge. Good luck to everyone especially the youth hunters

wytx

WKR

These guys can help you get one out (for a fee) if you get one down too far from one of the retrieval roads. They also do guided hunts on the refuge. I used them in 2016 to take a cow bison and again in 2017 to take a cow elk. They are good guys. They have horses and the experience to know where the elk hang out. Probably already booked for your hunt time frame but would still probably be able to drag one out for you.
Any chance you were archery hunting from horseback on your hunt? I had quite the experience with Tag n Drag on my cow bison hunt and it was not enjoyable.
The dragging/gutting part is fine, worth paying for.

Any chance you were archery hunting from horseback on your hunt? I had quite the experience with Tag n Drag on my cow bison hunt and it was not enjoyable.
The dragging/gutting part is fine, worth paying for.
Always had decent experiences with their service. Care to elaborate?