Son drew National Elk Refuge permit this weekend!

Afhunter1

WKR
Can anyone tell me how it works and is it worth it to go? We are in PA and would have to fly out and rent a car. Can we do this ourselves? Any help would be appreciated!!! I forgot about the draw and just checked now. He doesn’t even know yet.

Thanks!

Youth can draw bull tags and it could make a great hunt. If they get snow right before it will cause some to move around.

I did the cow hunt a few years ago. Kind of a shitshow but not too bad. I’d imagine the youth hunt is a bit calmer and decent chance for your kid to get a bull.

Since you already have the permit, that’s out of the way as their draw process is a bit strange. Just follow the rules in the NWR hunt brochure, they aren’t too complex. It’s definitely a hunt you can DIY. We ran into bears even in early Dec down near the river feeding on a carcass

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Call the WY game and fish office in Jackson, they will be able to tell you how many elk are currently using the refuge, I've hunted the refuge a couple times and they were always very helpful

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Last week, the elk weren't coming down quite yet, but there's snow on the menu for this weekend. Last year, I saw some local kids with that tag that shot some HUGE bulls. Like high 300's.
Some phone calls to G&F would probably help you feel it out.

Laramie

WKR
Can anyone tell me how it works and is it worth it to go? We are in PA and would have to fly out and rent a car. Can we do this ourselves? Any help would be appreciated!!! I forgot about the draw and just checked now. He doesn’t even know yet.

Thanks!
I have heard some mixed reports from parents. Haven't taken my son personally though.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
Youth can draw bull tags and it could make a great hunt. If they get snow right before it will cause some to move around.

I did the cow hunt a few years ago. Kind of a shitshow but not too bad. I’d imagine the youth hunt is a bit calmer and decent chance for your kid to get a bull.

Since you already have the permit, that’s out of the way as their draw process is a bit strange. Just follow the rules in the NWR hunt brochure, they aren’t too complex. It’s definitely a hunt you can DIY. We ran into bears even in early Dec down near the river feeding on a carcass
Would you have a suggestion as to what part of the refuge to focus on? My son is 16 and we are both in good shape. Not afraid of a pack out. We normally bow hunt though.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
If I take him this will cost me about 2k to pull it off. I’m good with that as this will be his Christmas gift this year but I just want to make sure it’s not a joke with parents runnin all over you and being shot at and seeing wounded elk running everywhere if ya know what I mean.

I have to make the decision by noon eastern today to pull it off.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
I told him about it and he wants to go. So I guess I’m making plans now. Any help is greatly appreciated and I will be glad to help other people out as well.

Call the WY game and fish office in Jackson, they will be able to tell you how many elk are currently using the refuge, I've hunted the refuge a couple times and they were always very helpful
The refuge also has an automated hunt number to call where they have a daily recording of the elk moving onto the refuge

wyosteve

WKR
And the refuge has specific areas only open to hunting, so not the whole refuge. Either way, you can't beat a weekend with Teton views!

WyoKimber

FNG
I live about 30 min north of the refuge. Keep in mind we have had a really warm fall and not much snow. Elk have migrated out of the high country, but I don’t think too many of them are on the refuge yet. There are probably some there, but don’t expect to see thousands standing in a field like when they start feeding.

I'd go! Especially if snow is coming. Be a cool experience for the kid and an opportunity to get him a nice bull.
In terms of areas to focus - we found them crossing from the national forest on the east side, and crossing the river from the park side. But once they get into the refuge they can be in the hills and you'll have to hike in to find them.
It's open country so be prepared for 300 yard shot, or know your son's limits

WyoKimber

FNG
I'd go! Especially if snow is coming. Be a cool experience for the kid and an opportunity to get him a nice bull.
In terms of areas to focus - we found them crossing from the national forest on the east side, and crossing the river from the park side. But once they get into the refuge they can be in the hills and you'll have to hike in to find them.
It's open country so be prepared for 300 yard shot, or know your son's limits
I agree with these areas as your best bet. The ERP has been going on in the park so there will be some pressure moving them out of the park and onto the refuge from the north. The east side is where they can migrate out of the timbered bedding areas on the forest. The west and south sides are fenced in and open country so probably not much in those areas till feeding starts.