So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yes direct thread but I got my barrel flared and threaded for 5/8x24 so no adapters needed. A bunch of folks here have gone that route after seeing mine. I didnt want adapters or any weird crap on the barrel.

What Shaen does is an adapter. It may look better, functionally it’s the same.

Jimbee

WKR
From what I read on another forum, looks like locktite between the CB and can gives you the same DT with a little less weight.
They said that from the dealer or manufacturer. Sounds like a good plan for me since I won't get it hot enough to melt the locktite
I found this. It's better than the TB cb because you can use a wrench to remove it from your can or from your rifle. It's in the mail. I had a cb mount stuck in my supressor for awhile, what a frustrating pita. Screenshot_20230124_074502_Chrome.jpg

Trackselk

WKR
Thanks for the pic. I talked with Kampfeld again, and that's the same thing he's using. Not sure on the finish, but w/e. Here's what I haven't found spelled out; can you forego the CB (2oz ish) and just run the can strait on to the barrel? I think that's a no, because on the DT, it's the same thing, just with the CB glued or welded in. I think they are actually the same weight as mentioned above, and the weight confusion is from the CB weight being listed separately on some sites. It's actually confusing AF to figure out the actual weight.
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the CB 7 gen 2 6.5mm today. I'm just going to locktite (orange) or rockset it in there as it seems to me that it will be easier to clean if (?) I can open it, even if it takes my heat gun... Mile High was great, and they gave me a 5% veterans discount. Now I'm going to go cry for 7 months (local gun shop average for the approval).
Thanks to everyone's contributions in this thread!

Trackselk

WKR
I found this. It's better than the TB cb because you can use a wrench to remove it from your can or from your rifle. It's in the mail. I had a cb mount stuck in my supressor for awhile, what a frustrating pita. View attachment 506760
If i'm not mistaken, you'll still have the CB, but it's just glued into the can like someone else mentioned above.

Please get us a weight on that flare. Now i'm going to go search and see if anyone is producing a titanium one, but not sure if it's even compatible (different contraction and shrinkage than steel I assume).

Jimbee

WKR
If i'm not mistaken, you'll still have the CB, but it's just glued into the can like someone else mentioned above.
Yes. I have cb mounts on a couple barrels, installed with red loctite. If the loctite gives up before the supressor unscrew from the mount it's a pain. Direct thread is what I wish I would have done. From what I understand, the brake doesn't do anything with the supressor installed.

Trackselk

WKR
These guys said they had customers have problems with baffle strikes, and this flare was engineered by a company that specializes in class 3 stuff. It looks a lot lighter, parkerized stainless. I'd check alignment regardless...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125-190029_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230125-190029_Chrome.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 37

Trackselk

WKR
Yes. I have cb mounts on a couple barrels, installed with red loctite. If the loctite gives up before the supressor unscrew from the mount it's a pain. Direct thread is what I wish I would have done. From what I understand, the brake doesn't do anything with the supressor installed.
Dang, maybe that rock(?) Adhesive Is the solution. More serviceable should be an advantage?

Antares

WKR
Maybe not so much. I could envision a horrible approach on a goat or sheep hunt, where theres tons of brush and difficult terrain, where it might be beneficial to have a 7" shorter barrel. Attach once in the alpine and in hunting terrain.

Exactly what I do. My suppressor and bipod ride in my pack (in my spare pair of socks) until I get to alpine. Then I have a snack, set up the rifle, and it's game time.

Unckebob

WKR
You guys are masacists with those light cannons; but, more power to you if you can shoot them strait!

I am not doing a thing to lighten my Kimber Hunter 243, but I love this thread for the sheer genius and determination people have to take a fine rifle to the extreme.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
TBAC can convert your supressor to DT.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
These guys said they had customers have problems with baffle strikes, and this flare was engineered by a company that specializes in class 3 stuff. It looks a lot lighter, parkerized stainless. I'd check alignment regardless...
I have a few of these that I used before I got my barrel set up for 5/8x24. Now they just sit in my parts box.

Trackselk

WKR
I have a few of these that I used before I got my barrel set up for 5/8x24. Now they just sit in my parts box.
I showed a pic of yours (from another thread) to Kampfeld, and he said that's what he was going to give me in the first place, or that I could remove it and that it fit on to the barrels 1/2" 28 threads. So I think yours threads off too, but is probably set with locktite or something. I think Form agreed in a post a ways back in this thread?
*edit: post 222
*the one Kampfeld set me up with is a 5/8, as is the one I posted back a ways

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I showed a pic of yours (from another thread) to Kampfeld, and he said that's what he was going to give me in the first place, or that I could remove it and that it fit on to the barrels 1/2" 28 threads. So I think yours threads off too, but is probably set with locktite or something. I think Form agreed in a post a ways back in this thread?
*edit: post 222
*the one Kampfeld set me up with is a 5/8, as is the one I posted back a ways
I guess it may screw off but I hope it never does.

Trackselk

WKR
I guess it may screw off but I hope it never does.
Yeah, as long as the alignment is good, it's all good. You cover that many threads with the right adhesive and it isn't going anywhere unless you melt the adhesive. Red locktite is about 500 degrees if I remember correctly. I'll ask kampfeld what he uses for permanent attachment.

Stavey

FNG
Exactly what I do. My suppressor and bipod ride in my pack (in my spare pair of socks) until I get to alpine. Then I have a snack, set up the rifle, and it's game time.
I can’t post in classifieds. Please pm me about your APA brake . Thank
You

Jimbee

WKR
TBAC can concert your supressor to DT.
Yep, but I'd have to fill out some paperwork and mail it in and spend $125 or whatever. With the adapter I can use it as a direct thread or mount it on my cb mounts that I already have. Based on my 20/20 hindsight I should have gone direct thread from the start. The cb mount should have a way to put a wrench on it in my opinion.

Trackselk

WKR
Might this be a better (lighter or prettier/less snagful) option if your suppressor of your choice comes in this (see pic) 9/16" thread?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127-120655_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127-120655_Chrome.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 41

Trackselk

WKR
I'm probably going to help create longer wait times for myself, but I've got to pass this along to all you fine gents...
Just spoke with Thunder Beast and if your muzzle is at least .565" (IIRC) they have developed a CB to specifically direct mount to 9/16" threads. This is a no flare or other contraptions mount, true DT. They said that they have had multiple people launch their suppressors with 1/2" threads.
About $120, and if you have a new in package CB, they'll swap it out for this specialty CB. Otherwise you're out the cost of the new CB also. You can't buy this CB seperately, and you have to ship your gun to them or Milehigh to get this done. It butts up against the muzzle, which they recrown, and if you already have 1/2" like me, you'll have to be willing to lose .6" of barrel length.
Sounds like a much more rigid, and slightly lighter setup.
Should this be it's own thread to get the word out?

Last edited: