Snowpack not looking very good :(

AZ8

WKR
Finally got a decent storm this winter.

24” at the airport so far, with another 2 feet forecast through Sunday. Heavy, wet snow, aka, heart attack snow!

Kootenai county idaho, pulled there groomers from the groomed snowmobile trails, due to no snow and none in the forecast. Lookout pass is sitting at 34% of normal, is what i read in the newspaper this morning.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had two decent snows recently- the one yesterday had 6-7" in town, today I was snowshoeing just outside of town and about 10" of fresh (5000'). We're still only showing mid 50% of normal; I'll check tomorrow and see if there is just a delay when they update the maps????

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had two decent snows recently- the one yesterday had 6-7" in town, today I was snowshoeing just outside of town and about 10" of fresh (5000'). We're still only showing mid 50% of normal; I'll check tomorrow and see if there is just a delay when they update the maps????
When we're so far in deficit it'll take several large storms to catch up. There are sites in the Upper Missouri basin setting record low readings. Also every new calendar day that passes, the average SWE increases until it peaks which is usually in late April.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was hoping it would be jumping more, but at least we're going in the right direction :)

PH1969

FNG
There are a few bright spots, but a lot of the West not looking good we may be in the worst shape. Our 10 day forecast shows little to no additional precip- not good.

5qEa6eL.png
We are doing better in my area than I thought, and as others are stating-a lot can happen from now through March. One plus is hopefully what few deer are left after last year, should make it through this year.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Our local ski hill just gave up for the season, said it’s the worst winter in 55years of recording snowfall. I also work with barley farmers and everyone’s starting to get pretty worried bout what irrigation allotments will be this year.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Teton ski area out of Choteau closed their doors for the season. The East Front is ground zero for no snow :(

IDVortex

WKR
Made my way north up 95 over 2, met up with a buddy in Kalispell, then headed east to the SE of browning, came back home over I90, the amount of snow is discouraging. Thankfully we still have March.

Attachments

• 20240210_174333.jpg
    20240210_174333.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 49

dtrkyman

WKR
Not sure on our overall totals but Sandia ski valley in Albuquerque opened for the first time in three years!

Several snow days on the mountain here in Santa Fe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In So. Cal local Mt. San Bernardino Mts. Looking good so far. 3ft. fresh snow last storm. Picture taken from Fullerton, Ca. softball field.Resized_20240211_135340.jpeg

CorbLand

WKR
Kootenai county idaho, pulled there groomers from the groomed snowmobile trails, due to no snow and none in the forecast. Lookout pass is sitting at 34% of normal, is what i read in the newspaper this morning.
Good year for A-Arm manufacturers.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're slowly (very slowly) inching our way upward. Got a decent snow last night and snowing right now—we've bumped up from 49% (1/23) to 61% today.

Heading in the right direction anyways :D

jmez

WKR
We are still behind in the Black Hills. As was forecasted with the El Nino winter. We got about 3 inches yesterday, another 3 expected today. Not really concerning at this point as we get 90% of our snow from Feb through May.