Snowpack not looking very good :(

NRA4LIFE

WKR
We live in the foothills SE of Seattle and probably average about 10" a year (I know, lame). We have nothing so far. We were doing great in the Mountains until a couple weeks ago and the warm/rainy weather hit and the snow level went to 10K and everything got rained on. Some places in the mountains are at 29% now to normal.

Got a note from a buddy in the UP of Michigan last weekend. Ski areas are having to make snow and the snowmachine trails are closed.

dtrkyman

WKR
Avalanche warning for Taos New Mexico, 2-4 feet of snow forecast for next 24hrs at Wheeler peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Too much snow, global warming, too much rain, global warming no rain global warming- Stop driving your SUV's !! Noah was lucky, he stopped driving his SUV in time to build the ark. 40 days of rain followed, why ?? global warming.
I mean it is pretty simple science on higher than previous CO2 in atmosphere and ocean surface level temperatures. Even if the data isn’t important to your life we are all seeing the effects / consequences with the costs of insurance. When you make a living in insurance you don’t joke around…

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
We live in the foothills SE of Seattle and probably average about 10" a year (I know, lame). We have nothing so far. We were doing great in the Mountains until a couple weeks ago and the warm/rainy weather hit and the snow level went to 10K and everything got rained on. Some places in the mountains are at 29% now to normal.

Got a note from a buddy in the UP of Michigan last weekend. Ski areas are having to make snow and the snowmachine trails are closed.
He's right! We average 150-200" of snow each winter with 300+" common just up the road in higher elevations. We've pretty much had one week of winter. Freezing temps and a 16" snowfall that has since melted. Other than that, it's been spring-like with temps near or above 40. Similiar to the rest of the midwest, or country for that matter. Pretty crazy. We live in a place that thrives on winter tourism, hobbies, etc. Much of which has been cancelled this winter. Couple months to go, we'll see what happens. Hopefully it benefits the critters anyway.

I mean it is pretty simple science on higher than previous CO2 in atmosphere and ocean surface level temperatures. Even if the data isn’t important to your life we are all seeing the effects / consequences with the costs of insurance. When you make a living in insurance you don’t joke around…
I'm not joking around. I see it all the time, especially with every hurricane. Global warming gets the blame, but the Insurance companies raise our premiums or refuse to renew our policies. Lost everything in Katrina, had claims for two other storms since, last one being Ida.
Insurance companies now even get a break when there is a winter storm. All the weather service has to do is give the winter storm a name, then any damage you suffer you will have a "named storm deductible".
There are only two or three companies that will write in my area, and will drop you if you make a claim. Most folks have their home financed, so they are forced to pay the premiums no matter how high they get.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not joking around. I see it all the time, especially with every hurricane. Global warming gets the blame, but the Insurance companies raise our premiums or refuse to renew our policies. Lost everything in Katrina, had claims for two other storms since, last one being Ida.
Insurance companies now even get a break when there is a winter storm. All the weather service has to do is give the winter storm a name, then any damage you suffer you will have a "named storm deductible".
There are only two or three companies that will write in my area, and will drop you if you make a claim. Most folks have their home financed, so they are forced to pay the premiums no matter how high they get.
You know what you are talking about for sure! I’m in Idaho - we don’t even have a clue how bad insurance has become!!! And there’s a reason when you visit Caribbean countries that a lot of houses are half built —- when you get those storms every year there is no such thing as insurance. Just build and rebuild if you have the money. Survive.

jmez

WKR
Too much snow, global warming, too much rain, global warming no rain global warming- Stop driving your SUV's !! Noah was lucky, he stopped driving his SUV in time to build the ark. 40 days of rain followed, why ?? global warming.
Ummm, it's now climate change, thank you.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Do I believe the earth is getting warmer, yes, do I believe man is responsible, maybe. What I know for a fact is, the planet goes through normal cycles. It takes many, many years but there is always change. As recent as 10,000 years ago much of California was under a mile of glaciers. And in many years to come, it may well be covered again. It's a natural cycle.

ODB

WKR
Do I believe the earth is getting warmer, yes, do I believe man is responsible, maybe. What I know for a fact is, the planet goes through normal cycles. It takes many, many years but there is always change. As recent as 10,000 years ago much of California was under a mile of glaciers. And in many years to come, it may well be covered again. It's a natural cycle.

Correct. It always baffles me when people infer how it is “now” is “normal.” And that any change is a disaster.

Go look up the 2021 Hunga Tunga volcano. Had that been at sea level we would be a very unhappy planet.

The peak of mt Everest is marine limestone. It was sea floor at one time. If people think the processes rhat caused that a) did not change the climate and b) are not still going, they are delusional.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really thought our % of normal would have jumped a little more than it did w/ our recent snow- we were in the mid 40 % range and only now in the mid 50%'s, better than going the other way for sure. It's snowing in town today- probably 3-4" (assuming more higher) and still snowing, so that might push a couple more points up????

wesfromky

WKR
The physics of greenhouse gases have been well understood for a long time. Humans are releasing greenhouse gases at a very high and increasing rate. Those two things are absolutely factual. If you cannot connect the dots, then it is because you are thinking emotionally, not realistically and you are letting your politics interfere.

Yes, the global climate has been going through cycles for millions of years. But, the rate of change today is much faster then those natural cycles. And, 20k years ago there weren't billions of people depending on a stable climate to support the just in time food production and delivery system.

So, go ahead and post up your favorite "But Al Gore/Obama/etc.." meme or youtube videos about how it is all a conspiracy, but climate change is real, it is caused by people burning fossil fuels, and it will be impacting everyone. Perhaps sooner then you might think.

Each night the weather report lists the record lows and highs for the date and the limits of history. There are some records broken by a degree or so occasionaly but by and large we are usually within the limits of the recent past (100-150 years).

Geologically we are well within the historic limits. We are even within the boundaries of the memories of our oldest neighbors.

We just finished two years of heavy snowfall and a late spring. A lighter winter is refreshing at this point especially after the endless rain all summer.

At this point I still have about 16" of snow to get to normal but I have 4 months to get there. I will just wait and see. The most unusual thing this year is that here on the continental divide we are usually in the contact zone between the wet Pacific fronts and the invading Canadians. For some reason this year they seem to be occurring independently as opposed to the normal battles on the divide. I just keep stacking it as it comes and steadily feed the stove. Just no reason to panic. My neighbor once told me that in the 20s we never got a flake of snow till February and then it snowed every day till June. Be careful of what you wish for.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gents while I'd love to argue climate change, well actually I don't. Soooo.... lets keep the thread on track- snowpack levels.

I don't want to waste my time deleting posts, sending warnings, etc, etc- you get the idea.

Thanks

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In Ca. four reporting station are reporting anywhere from 68% thru 78% of snow pack over normal for this time period.

BBob

WKR
AZ got a dump and forecast says more to come.

Summary​

Roughly two feet of new snow at ski areas Tuesday night and just like that we have a proper season moving forward. Snow is set to continue into Saturday.

Short Term Forecast​

What a storm, deep totals and still coming down on this Wednesday in which we are situated in the post storm, showery regime which keeps up overnight. Expecting another foot of accumulation Wednesday/Wednesday night. Unlike Tuesday night's Pacific assault, Thursday's storm moves in from the north with plenty of moisture in place to work with, a colder system and lower density snow. Thinking nuking through the bulk of the day, like dumping dumping, 18" ish! A lull in the action Thursday night into Friday, though light snow showers persist. The final storm in the series quickly sweeps the region Saturday, with morning snow for Snowbowl, afternoon at Sunrise, likely another 6" or so. And that's a wrap, approximately 4' in this cycle, bam!

Extended Forecast​

Things settle down for a week or so beyond this cycle. Models still advertising another active pattern out toward 2/20.