The Chinese Wall (the one in Montana! :)) in January

What a great way to beat the winter blues. Well done, great pics and write up. Thanks for writing up the story and what you did to protect your dog!!!

Love the Bob. Floated the South Fork a few years ago. It’s going a be Smokey summer with this lack of moisture.

Thanks for that right up. What did you do for boots and socks? It seems packs would be hell on your feet, but wet trekking boots about as bad.

Thanks for sharing. The lack of snow in Northern Montana in January is quite surprising.

I used to do a lot of winter trips in the Boundary Waters/Quetico…I never saw another person. And I mean, not a single one. If you want solitude, winter is a much easier time to find it.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed- if you yearn for solitude, no better season than Winter :)

CWA360

FNG
The Chinese Wall in the Bob Marshall Wilderness might be the most iconic site in this vast wilderness area. My buddy Tom (my crazy buddy Tom) recently suggested a trip into the Wall via snowshoes. This has been an abnormally low snow year for Montana so instead of a 16 mile snowshoe just to get the trailhead, it appeared you could drive all the way to the trailhead- making it much more appealing, so I said yes.

We met up at 9:00 AM on Wednesday, able to drive the full way to the trailhead. Tom was accompanied by his rescue shepherd dog, Pepper. We found that there was little snow lower and some of the south facing hill sides were bare. But it was damn cold, not sure you can see but my mustache is froze!

wXAv79j.jpg

West Fork of the South Fork of the Sun River

fOBhnRp.jpg

Views were pretty good.

CWQdrEI.jpg

M8HekG5.jpg

Snowshoes still on our backs.

7VcCyWS.jpg

At one point Pepper went racing up the trail at mach one- we found out why- she had treed a very large bobcat!

Ahs8iqr.jpg

We made it about 13-ish miles in and called it good. The ground was frozen solid and I only dared to drive my tent pegs in about halfway (even then they were very difficult to remove the next day!)

Mandatory evening fire.

UP1b8hi.jpg

We were up with the sun which isn't up until 7:30, making for a loooong night in the tents! It was snowing lightly as we continued our trek upward.

BRNZmMu.jpg

At about 6500' we hit snow deep enough to warrant our snowshoes.

2B8D7si.jpg

While we were glad to see snow up higher (snowpack is looking a little grim at this juncture), the snow sucked. We were doing a lot of postholing and combined with climbing upward = not great fun.

UOkKfMf.jpg

We finally got our first glimpse of the Wall around 2:00 PM

Jp6azNw.jpg

Pepper hanging in there like a champ.

5JiFcla.jpg

Looking north along the Wall.

x7UyyYV.jpg

It was nearly dark so we found a sheltered area to make camp. Camping on feet of snow presents some challenges- you have to really tromp down the area you want to set up your shelter- and even then you need to leave your snowshoes on anytime you venture out or away from the tent or you end up in snow up to your a$$! You can get a fire going (which we did) but your fire slowly sinks into the snow and fuel has to be added to constantly. Running water is almost non-existent, so bringing adequate fuel to melt snow is a must (and melting snow for water isn't all that fun!). The good news is you don't have to hang your food in a tree to keep it from the grizzlies! :ROFLMAO:

I could hear snow hitting the tent most of the night and had to smack it off a couple of times to keep from piling up too much. When we got up the next morning it was still lightly snowing and we probably ended up with an additional 6" of snow that we didn't have the day before. Our old fire was sunk down a couple of feet and the little wood we had saved was covered in snow- no fire this morning. We packed up and headed downward (and back) for better climes.

AW3Ijjd.jpg

exJYpdg.jpg

It continued to snow lightly, but eventually gave way to sunny skies.

guWlYhc.jpg

We finally got off of snowshoes and our descent pace picked up. We made pretty good time and was able to make it a few miles past our first campsite, which will shorten our day four out.

We camped near the river where we had ample firewood AND running water. We were also decently sheltered from the wind which had steadily picked up through the day (and continued through the night).

4mFCNW6.jpg

I should have snapped a pic, but we had a giant bon fire that night. We finally ran out of firewood and called it a night (about 7:30 PM :D). I could hear the wind most of the night, but the trees kept most of it away from us. We were up before sunrise, timing our breakfast and packing almost perfectly to first light.

As we were no longer on snowshoes and the trails were mostly snow free, our last day went by pretty quickly.

HFLRChV.jpg

Soon we were at our crossing- South Fork of the Sun

BRNYJiD.jpg

Another great trip in the books :)

1iMB0wa.jpg

Thanks for reading!
Awesome pictures and thank you for sharing!

Mountneer

FNG
Agreed- if you yearn for solitude, no better season than Winter :)
Me & 2 other "oldish" guys did that route in late July several years ago. Loved the huckleberries & strawberries & creeks along the way. Didn't so much relish the horse pack trains passing us. But even so, we had a lot of solitude on the route.
Your report was great....and it amazes me that anyone would even try it in deep winter....thanks for posting!