Small Hunting / House / Mountain Dog

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I was reading that the English Cocker was a better hunting bread then the American Cocker. I definitely see myself doing more upland hunting, but I wouldn't mind jump shooting waterfowl off the river occasionally. I definitely don't see myself getting full blown into waterfowl.
English Cockers can be serious upland dogs, and they fit right on your lap no problem.

Regarding your pet chicken- if you end up with a real bird dog, that pet chicken is a goner.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I just want a smaller dog. I have had Labs and GWP's. I want a smaller dog because we already have another large dog. I figure I will have better luck keeping a smaller dog as a full time house dog. That's my thinking at least.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
English Cockers can be serious upland dogs, and they fit right on your lap no problem.

Regarding your pet chicken- if you end up with a real bird dog, that pet chicken is a goner.
Yeah fortunately all of our chickens are kept in a run so I am not as worried about them. I have read of some people who can get their bird dogs to leave their chickens alone.

KurtR

WKR
I was reading that the English Cocker was a better hunting bread then the American Cocker. I definitely see myself doing more upland hunting, but I wouldn't mind jump shooting waterfowl off the river occasionally. I definitely don't see myself getting full blown into waterfowl.
I know the people who have breed one of the few cockers that are both hrch dogs . Impressive little hunting machines.

jimh406

WKR
I would go with a female field bred English Springer Spaniel. Female only because they are almost always smaller and never lift their legs. ;). It's much easier to find a great English Springer Spaniel than a hunting bred Cocker Spaniel and nearly the same size and have great temperaments.

KurtR

WKR
Tom Ness??
No I think he just runs the spaniel(which is where the cockers run) field trials. The female is from fr labs and can’t remember the males owner. The spaniel trials are up land centric with the hrch test being waterfowl heavy.

He would be a good place to look for one.

French Brittany's would fit the bill. Smaller than Americans and I think slightly calmer SLIGHTLY. We have 3 in a 1000sf house. We have two cats as well. And they did well when I was raising quail at my house. The dad of one of my dogs was used for duck hunting alot. They aren't gonna drag a goose to you but they got the drive to do it.

Last edited:

Alchemy

WKR
Female GSP or Brittany. I’d go GSP, they are slim dogs and never been an issue inside as pets. Also a clipped tail helps them feel smaller indoors. I don’t think a 30 lb vs a 50 pound dog is going to matter much, unless you end up with a terrier your not really going to feel a considerable difference. Of terrier get a jack russell they are killers and great company outdoors on hikes, camping, kids love them.

I have never owned either but a beagle or a Britney might fit the bill. You may find you'll need to change your max. size requirements. If so, I highly recommend a GSP. Great hunters, very social dog, highly intelligent, very well suited for both upland game and water foul. I simply love them.

Beagles do not fit his bill of description. Beagles are all nose and the most annoying bark/bay every. Beagles are great for chasing rabbits... Thats about it

My mountain cur almost fits what he wants but they get into the mid 40 and 50# range. Not amazing at retrieving but they'll do it if you work them enough. I use mine for pheasant

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Doc, was just about to suggest a mountain cur. I ended up with one (thanks to the wife). Shes about 40lbs so maybe a little bigger than you are looking but still small enough

She's points birds, retrieves ok, and has a great hunting drive for small mammals. great woods dog and guard dog. I wouldn't hesitate to bring her in the woods anywhere.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Beagles do not fit his bill of description. Beagles are all nose and the most annoying bark/bay every. Beagles are great for chasing rabbits... Thats about it

My mountain cur almost fits what he wants but they get into the mid 40 and 50# range. Not amazing at retrieving but they'll do it if you work them enough. I use mine for pheasant
How are the mountain curs around kids, cats, and other dogs? What type of cur do you have? There seem to be several types.

How are the mountain curs around kids, cats, and other dogs? What type of cur do you have? There seem to be several types.
I fully trust my dog around kids and cats. At first he avoided all contact with the baby and now he fully tolerates her. She can tug on his ears and hit him with a stick, He'll walk away.

It will vary from dog to dog, but it probably has to do with socialization. My cur has no issues with other dogs and from what I've seen, that seems to be universal(always exceptions to that rule regardless of breed).

He's never killed a cat, but he definitely wants to sniff them. His game sense is triggered when they run and go up trees. If they don't run, he'll sniff them and go about his business. IF you shot one out of the tree, then the cat might have issues going forward.

The only issue is chickens at night.. Curs are protective of their domain. If you have a chicken happens to be out of coop after dark and makes any sort of noise.... I can guarantee the dog will be killing it.

Specifically I have a mountain cur. Brindle with white feet.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a pointing breed you're looking at Small Munsterlanders and Britanys are around 35-45lbs, Vizsla around 35-50lbs. If you realllllly want one under 30lbs I think you are going to have to get a spaniel- Cocker, Springer, or Boykin type.
Absolutely agree with you on the small munsterlander - love my hunting buddy, and he is right at 40 lbs.
Great all around dog
EC92BB06-DB16-4F5D-A66F-DDCD5C16BA20.jpeg7A099E08-214C-46E0-B709-F76A376EE5E6.jpeg

*zap*

WKR
I love my 6 month old 18# patterjack male. Not a pointer or going to retrieve large geese thou. Great with other dogs/people......also a babe attractor.

ZDR

WKR
Well, here's a wild card for you: Parson Russell Terrier. smart, tough & tenacious and make great house dogs as long as they get enough exercise. I dont know if you could train one as a bird dog, but as a tracking dog, they are amazing. They practically beg to be trained and they love to work. Also a great partner in the mountains.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I appreciate all your guys responses. Definitely going to look closer at the Small Munsterlander, Boykin, English Cocker, and Novia Scotia.