Small Hunting / House / Mountain Dog

KurtR

WKR
I appreciate all your guys responses. Definitely going to look closer at the Small Munsterlander, Boykin, English Cocker, and Novia Scotia.
Make sure to check pedigrees that you dont end up with a dog that has show lines and not performance. Alot of people like to say akc registered but that really means nothing. They let silver labs register so they will let any thing in the akc

sutton17

FNG
I was going to suggest a cur as well. Mine is about 30lbs great house dog and loves kids. He can be high strung as all get out but at 2 he's starting to figure out how to chill in the house when it's time. He minds better then any dog I've owned. He's my squirrel dog so not sure about the pointing but he loves water and brings me squirrels after I shoot them.

20210528_171224.jpg

Attachments

• 20220918_190709.jpg
    20220918_190709.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210108_152142.jpg
    20210108_152142.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 58
I did read that about the Beagle. The guy said you can count on them heading off to chase interesting smells. I haven't read anything about using Beagles for birds.

Can confirm. I've had to chase after this guy a number of times, but he's getting slow in his old age.

Great dog for kids and as a companion and some small game and shed hunting. He also hates water, so ducks are out. Will kinda blood trail big game if its the most interesting smell in the vicinity. Usually the most interesting smell is fresh poop and I'll come up to him eating some.

For all his faults, I love him to death.

good_boy.jpg

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
l have hunted with beagles since I was a young boy. They have plenty of rascal in them. Great dogs but they like to bark as in a lot, as was mentioned before they do not like water, they will do fairly well on birds but if they hit a rabbit you will be rabbit hunting and if left outside around camp eventually they will be off running something and you better hope it is not a deer.

Bobbyboe

WKR
There are many breeders with birttanys at or under 30lbs. They will check all the boxes you are looking to fill.

My Britt is bigger, at 40lbs. You’ll be very happy with a Brittany.

Attachments

• 246CD8C5-D6BC-489C-BF17-DA0F055FBFCD.jpeg
    246CD8C5-D6BC-489C-BF17-DA0F055FBFCD.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 62
OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
After talking several of these breads over with the wife, it sounds like we are going to give the English Cocker's a try. Thanks for all your guys help.

MJB

WKR
Jagds have to be broken from everything but thats their hunt drive.

Mine leave the chickens and cats alone, great upland hunters, yote killers and they love kids and people.

They are not a good dog park dog because of other dogs going alpha on them and the Jagd will let the other dog know that won't fly.

I will always own one Jagd if not two great companions super smart. I've own them for over 15years and my lines are at the top of the breading lines.

There's a litter of Jagds on the ground in Dallas btw

Good luck with what ever bread you choose.

visage

Lil-Rokslider
I’m surprised no one mentioned WPG. I’ve got a 45# female and she fits the bill perfect. She can knock out a 15 mile hike or lay around the house like a cat. Excellent with the family and other animals

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I’m surprised no one mentioned WPG. I’ve got a 45# female and she fits the bill perfect. She can knock out a 15 mile hike or lay around the house like a cat. Excellent with the family and other animals
If I had not gotten into GSP's they would have been my next choice. On a few occasions I got to hunt over them. From what I understand their temperament is like that of GSP's.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I don't have any experience with the WPG's. We did have a GWP crossed with an English Setter. She had the best temperament of any dog I have owned. Unfortunately the kids let her out of the yard and she got hit by a vehicle.

I think the small Munsterlander would fit the bill from the research we've done. We were settled on one then I was given a Plott hound puppy so we're waiting a bit to get a Munster.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like you are looking for a smaller female English springer spaniel. That would check all your boxes.

Finding that little bitch shouldn’t be difficult.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Just an update. After some talks with my wife, and a lot of thought on my part, we are going to go with another GWP to replace our wirehair that was hit by a car. We are going to pick her up tonight. I will post some pictures. Thank you guys for all your suggestions and help.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Just an update. After some talks with my wife, and a lot of thought on my part, we are going to go with another GWP to replace our wirehair that was hit by a car. We are going to pick her up tonight. I will post some pictures. Thank you guys for all your suggestions and help.
Great decision. After GSP, they were my next choice. Please, do post photos.