Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ they're quite different; the Fanatic I'd categorize as a softshell- wind/precip blocking w/ a light fleece lining for warmth. Where soft shells usually down is when you're on the move.

If you move a lot during your hunts, I'd search for an active insulation piece- designed for on the move they breathe better and dry quicker.

The Heavyweight hoody would definitely work for an active piece, but imho the newer Evolve
/Alpha insulation pieces work better ie the Ambient lineup. UL for earlier/warmer season. "regular" Ambient for mid/later (colder) seasons

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
^ they're quite different; the Fanatic I'd categorize as a softshell- wind/precip blocking w/ a light fleece lining for warmth. Where soft shells usually down is when you're on the move.

If you move a lot during your hunts, I'd search for an active insulation piece- designed for on the move they breathe better and dry quicker.

The Heavyweight hoody would definitely work for an active piece, but imho the newer Evolve
/Alpha insulation pieces work better ie the Ambient lineup. UL for earlier/warmer season. "regular" Ambient for mid/later (colder) seasons
mtwarden, thank you for your response and advice. The Fanatic is warm but not uncomfortable when still hunting in dark timber this year, temps in the 40-50s but looking for a little better breathing piece as you stated such as the Ambient. Looking to go a different unit next season that is steeper, darker and colder so I will need another breathable and warmer layer for sure so it'll be the regular 1/2 zip Ambient probably to keep me warmer. I'll start looking at the classifieds here first for a deal.;)

This is why Rokslide is such a valuable tool with the real world reviews and experiences. Thank you sir.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I have the heavy weight hoody, fanatic hoody and ambient 100 hoody. For what you're looking to do I'd go with the ambient 100 hoody. You could actually wear one and pack the other and add per situation.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah if you're day hunting don't be afraid to throw in a soft-shell and an active layer; when it's cold and you're moving slow it's a great combo- ditto if it's windy and/or snowing.

I brought my soft shell on my backpack sheep hunt, despite the extra weight. I ended wearing the soft-shell every day. I don't bring it on every backpack hunt, but certain trips it's worth the extra weight.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
This is the point I start to get confused as to the subtle differences in the layering options from the Fanatic to the Ambient. My SG Dehaviland jacket is a softshell with some lightweight fleece lining and pitzips for heat build up and I really like it but I can see the Ambient 100 hoody has a little more insulation. I actually forgot I had a Jetstream vest with me this year and never wore it because it's a little tight getting my arms in. My morning hike up the trail to the base of the mountain was steep with temps in the low teens, 1 1/2 miles so I was pretty warm when I got to the top but not overly hot. Sometimes I'll stop and remove my jacket. I'll test out some options on hikes this winter.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Jetstream vest + a moving piece would make a good combo for a pretty wide array of conditions.

The Ambient (or like) make for a great moving piece, but the downside is if it’s windy- it cuts right through the fabric.

A softshell is great at blocking wind/light precip, but if you’re moving hard at all you end up sweating as they don’t breathe well.

Another possible combo is one of your existing softshell and the new Ambient vest. Either piece can be used with just your base layer or all three used together if colder/windier.

Lots of options, maybe too many :D

MT_Wyatt

WKR
This is the point I start to get confused as to the subtle differences in the layering options from the Fanatic to the Ambient. My SG Dehaviland jacket is a softshell with some lightweight fleece lining and pitzips for heat build up and I really like it but I can see the Ambient 100 hoody has a little more insulation. I actually forgot I had a Jetstream vest with me this year and never wore it because it's a little tight getting my arms in. My morning hike up the trail to the base of the mountain was steep with temps in the low teens, 1 1/2 miles so I was pretty warm when I got to the top but not overly hot. Sometimes I'll stop and remove my jacket. I'll test out some options on hikes this winter.
Having both that DH and used a ton of other soft shells I’d say the Ambient pieces actually “simplify” your kit a bit - lighter, warmer, breath better. So much so I rarely use the DH softshell hunting. For me, base layer + ambient/active insulation is a default, because it works well in a wider range of temps, and you don’t have to strip it off the second you start sweating. I like how they layer and move moisture. I use my 100 weight ambient all year as a fleece replacement, but having a lighter version for early season could be nice (again could breathe better but lighter than straight grid fleece). Late/windy season I can bring a shell into the mix over the ambient.

Lots of ways to use it obviously - I liked that Sitka really distilled the original hoody down to a simple form, and I don’t really care for them doing the “Sitka” thing and turning it into a bunch of different subtle variations on the same thing, but that’s kinda their deal….these mega expansive lines with 15 different mid layer options from Sitka and Kuiu make things complicated - to me, the ambient just fills a ton of roles very well, and eliminated a lot of fuss with layering.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ someone recently posted the Ambient UL selling at 50% off on the Sitka site :)

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Just got off the phone with Sitka. Sounds like the Ambient 100 Hooded Jacket is the for sure one piece from the Ambient line that will continue. Rep was unsure if the 60 would be continued and, as of now, the remaining stock you see for the Ambient line is all there is, minus the 100. Of course, larges are cleaned out😆.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
@mtwarden , I asked you about the original Nano-Air light Hoody a while back. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. You got the newer hybrid version too, correct? Did you ever put it through its paces? It and the Ambient 60 UL have a lot of similarities and fit a similar niche, with some differences being the placement of the various insulations, handwarmer pockets, zip lengths.

I think the Ambient 60 would be a great piece for me. Wish it had either handwarmer pockets (might be tough to do with the grid fabric) or a kangaroo. My original NALH is my go-to. Maybe I just need to sew a kanagaroo pouch onto it. If Sitka does in fact discontinue the Ambient 60, fingers crossed they come out with something in the 40-60 range with pocket(s) and a full zipper.

This TNF Casval Hybrid also seems to fit in this niche, but with higher denier. I have the original Ventrix, but it roasted me out on the move. https://www.thenorthface.com/en-us/...aval-hybrid-hoodie-pNF0A7UTA?color=I0P&size=L

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t tried the Hybrid, but they do appear to be very similar.

I will say that the UL while not a full zip, is a very long zip- the longest I’ve seen in a zip top. More venting and easier on/off than most partial zips

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t tried the Hybrid, but they do appear to be very similar.

I will say that the UL while not a full zip, is a very long zip- the longest I’ve seen in a zip top. More venting and easier on/off than most partial zips
I did notice that long zip. Seems like it would prevent some of the untucking and wind belly (new technical term 😆) that tends to happen with hoodies. I’m a full zipper fella too. Less ruffling of the layers and more versatility. Just needs a hand pocket(s) now. The NALHH seems to be the leader for my needs, but my NALH will definitely do the trick for now. I retract what I said about hoping Sitka will make something in the 40-60g range and change it to 30-40g.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see Sitka (or any other hunting brand) going 30-40 gram. I do think it would work great for high aerobic activities, but hunting generally doesn't hit that mark very often and I don't think it would be a good seller (for hunting anyways).

I do hope they keep the 60 gram in the lineup though, for early season/warmer weather, it does really well. :)

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see Sitka (or any other hunting brand) going 30-40 gram. I do think it would work great for high aerobic activities, but hunting generally doesn't hit that mark very often and I don't think it would be a good seller (for hunting anyways).

I do hope they keep the 60 gram in the lineup though, for early season/warmer weather, it does really well. :)
Maybe I need to walk slower. I tend to not need much insulation, even below zero with calm wind, but then I get colder faster being still. I have a rotating palette of layers, but for below 0F to maybe a bit above freezing in aerobic activities (I tend to move fast for me, whether it’s backpack hunting or snowshoeing), I go Brynje poly/KUIU Peleton 118, Patagoni NALH, windshirt if needed. If conditions require a rain shell I go KUIU Kutana Storm Shell/Filson NeoShell Reliance/Brooks Range Mountaineering Armor (another NeoShell). The NeoShell jackets cover a lot of territory for me late autumn to spring. Static insulation is typically either Big Agnes Third Pitch Hooded Jacket or Rab Neutrino, Feathered Friends Icefall when I need to look like the kid from A Christmas Story.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
0 -> 30° I'm usually only using three layers- Core lightweight hoody (when it gets closer to 0 I switch to that Thermal Weight hoody they mention in that article you posted as my base layer) either the Ambient or Ambient UL as my mid/active layer and then when needed a windshirt or of late, the Sitka Evo.

I need to give a Neoshell layer a go one of these days :)