Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
0 -> 30° I'm usually only using three layers- Core lightweight hoody (when it gets closer to 0 I switch to that Thermal Weight hoody they mention in that article you posted as my base layer) either the Ambient or Ambient UL as my mid/active layer and then when needed a windshirt or of late, the Sitka Evo.

I need to give a Neoshell layer a go one of these days :)
My experience has been that NeoShell is a wonderful performer for winter adventures. No, not quite as waterproof as Goretex, but that’s not my concern during winter in the mountains. Still plenty waterproof for snow, anything but a prolonged downpour, slightly stretches, and breathes well for a shell. My understanding is that Gore has essentially pushed it out of the market. Marketing budgets? People overvaluing MM #s? Understandable from a waterproofing standpoint, but nothing else from my experience.

rj2

WKR
I don't see Sitka (or any other hunting brand) going 30-40 gram. I do think it would work great for high aerobic activities, but hunting generally doesn't hit that mark very often and I don't think it would be a good seller (for hunting anyways).

I do hope they keep the 60 gram in the lineup though, for early season/warmer weather, it does really well. :)
I did notice that long zip. Seems like it would prevent some of the untucking and wind belly (new technical term 😆) that tends to happen with hoodies. I’m a full zipper fella too. Less ruffling of the layers and more versatility. Just needs a hand pocket(s) now. The NALHH seems to be the leader for my needs, but my NALH will definitely do the trick for now. I retract what I said about hoping Sitka will make something in the 40-60g range and change it to 30-40g.
Check out the mountain hardware airmesh line, I would guess it's in that range. I sent one back, but figured the warmth was probably comparable to my peloton 97 but way more breathable obviously. A small quarter zip was just over 4oz.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll give them a peek. I have a Senchie 60 gram “naked” hoody, weighs 4oz. Haven’t given it a whirl, but even the slightest wind will go through this piece. Definitely need a wind layer handy with it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll give them a peek. I have a Senchie 60 gram “naked” hoody, weighs 4oz. Haven’t given it a whirl, but even the slightest wind will go through this piece. Definitely need a wind layer handy with it.
Can you post a close up photo of the material? I’m picturing this looking like a blanket grandma knitted, thick strands with gaps between them?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you post a close up photo of the material? I’m picturing this looking like a blanket grandma knitted, thick strands with gaps between them?
Yup you're picturing correctly :)

The "naked" stuff would have limited use for hunting imo, possibly as base layer.

Also it's Farpointe, not Senchie

Ou2w1cp.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup you're picturing correctly :)

The "naked" stuff would have limited use for hunting imo, possibly as base layer.

Also it's Farpointe, not Senchie

Ou2w1cp.jpg
Interesting, I’m not sold on this stuff but interested to see what you and others say. I’ve heard enough non objective pushing of this from the hiking crowd. I’m wondering if it’s going to end up like the melanzana hoodie that everybody wanted because others had it but then realized that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I’m not sold on this stuff but interested to see what you and others say. I’ve heard enough non objective pushing of this from the hiking crowd. I’m wondering if it’s going to end up like the melanzana hoodie that everybody wanted because others had it but then realized that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.
I have a Rab Alpha Flash. I like how it functions, but do wonder about naked alpha garments and their longevity, especially putting them to work and not just sauntering down the clean trails.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve been considering those (well, 40g senchi) as bottoms - P97 kuiu ones are a nice option, using the heavier SG fleece ones right now in super cold. Will be interested to hear how that unfaced hoody does, the UL hiking crowd sure loves them.

my XL UL 60 weigh 10 oz fwiw
my XL 100 full zip hoodie weighs 15 oz
still can't decide which one i want to keep but I'm leaning the UL 60 bc its lighter more compact and i hunt warmer climates more than colder ones.

Another hybrid: Black Diamond Alpine Start INSULATED Hoody

Cool. The hybrid idea is really intriguing.

having used my MDWI a bit, I think this stuff would really shine in a hybrid design. Some selective panels of alpha with other heavier insulation in areas would be a pretty cool piece of kit. Conversely, alpha in certain areas and uninsulated soft shell in others would be a keen high output outlayer.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Cool. The hybrid idea is really intriguing.

having used my MDWI a bit, I think this stuff would really shine in a hybrid design. Some selective panels of alpha with other heavier insulation in areas would be a pretty cool piece of kit. Conversely, alpha in certain areas and uninsulated soft shell in others would be a keen high output outlayer.
For your first design, where would you suggest putting the heavier insulation? What type of insulation?

I’m curious on this BD piece. It’s certainly a niche product and could eliminate an additional layer if the conditions were right. Covers more bases type product vs the modularity you’d get from the uninsulated Alpine Start and a separate insulation piece.

I would go with something like the aerolite synthetic insulation in the front, hood and shoulders, maybe outer arms. Alpha panels in the inner arms down the sides and lower back.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with something like the aerolite synthetic insulation in the front, hood and shoulders, maybe outer arms. Alpha panels in the inner arms down the sides and lower back.
I’m yet to use any of the Aerolite line. How’s the insulation held up over time in the pieces you’ve used? What advantages do you see in using the different insulations?

I’m yet to use any of the Aerolite line. How’s the insulation held up over time in the pieces you’ve used? What advantages do you see in using the different insulations?
I love my aerolite jacket. Had it for about year and a half and has held up good. Now, I do not consider this a very warm static piece. Its warm for how thin it is, but I think I would get hold sitting in temps under 40 - 45 degrees with a base layer and grid fleece. Now if you pair with ambient hoody definitely can take it down to low 30's no problem.

Simms made a Primaloft Gold hybrid jacket quite a few years ago just like this, but instead of Alpha, it was Polartec Hardface fleece. I still use it occasionally to this day. I’m a fan.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I love my aerolite jacket. Had it for about year and a half and has held up good. Now, I do not consider this a very warm static piece. Its warm for how thin it is, but I think I would get hold sitting in temps under 40 - 45 degrees with a base layer and grid fleece. Now if you pair with ambient hoody definitely can take it down to low 30's no problem.
This isn’t considered an active insulation piece, correct? How does it breathe when hiking hard? I imagine the Primaloft would get pretty toasty on the move.

Sounds like a solid piece for summer and the warmer parts of the shoulder seasons when you want to throw on an extra layer to sit or fish. Do you backpack with it?

Just curious what wind layer you referred to using in the review.

Excellent review as usual. You get to put gear thru its paces thats for sure! H